That time of year: who needs winter tires anyway?

-
I ran kelly navigator gold on my intrepid, they were great for an all season tire. Guy with a malibu tried to pass on a heavy snow covered lane and next thing i see is his whole front end square to my drivers door.i pulled away with out a scratch.
Good snow tires make a world of difference, keeps hairy situations to a minimum.

Watching those videos,scary to end up some of those crashes.

Around here in Michigan snowtires, and awd just means lousy drivers get themselves stuck so far in the tow truck can't get at them

You notice that 99% of those wrecks were people going way to fast for the conditions?
That and impatience is the leading cause.

One halloween many years back we took the kids trick or treating. Roads were ice covered. Caprice full of young punks were cruisin up behind us,next thing you know they were airborne beside us. They landed wheels down in the ditch. We kept rolling, as they were ok. Buddys wife wanted to stop,if they were that stupid, the ditch was a good place for them.

4wd is nice, but its the tires that make the difference. All season tires dont even compare to To a Blizzak type tire. There are more 4wd vehicles wiped out in the ditches than cars around here anyway.

You notice that 99% of those wrecks were people going way to fast for the conditions?
That and impatience is the leading cause.

I'll simply blame it on stupidity.
Specially those Russian dashcam videos. What a bunch of fcktards overthere.
Even so the clowns who laid out the roads and trafficlight functions.

LMFAO:rofl::rofl::rofl:..thats why you buy 4 wheel drive trucks..

4x4 tires slide on ice just like any other 4 tires, it's just that 4x4 gives a little more control until they do.
I know it's hard to believe, but once they break loose and start sliding 4x4 makes zero difference.

4x4 tires slide on ice just like any other 4 tires, it's just that 4x4 gives a little more control until they do.
I know it's hard to believe, but once they break loose and start sliding 4x4 makes zero difference.
4 wheel drive will take off a little better, but that`s it, won`t stop any better or steer any better on ice.

4 wheel drive will take off a little better, but that`s it, won`t stop any better or steer any better on ice.

Yep, that's it.
I found not many people know that, and when you say it they don't believe it.
One my Dad always pointed out was never use 4x4 until you get stuck, because it's a lot harder to get out if you get stuck using it.
I see people drop it in 4x4 as soon as they get off the pavement, and then go get stuck.

Some people in 4wd pickups seem to think they're invincible in any kind of weather and can drive like they please, you usually see them in the ditch or against the guardrail just after they pass you.

Years ago while driving to work a 4wd pickup that was all lettered up about first responder training was passing everybody on the unplowed, inside most lane of the expressway. After getting a little ways ahead of me he lost it, spun out, tagged a couple of cars, forced others to take evasive action and end up off the road.

He came to a halt sideways in the middle of the 4 lane road a little ways in front of me. I could see him say "****" and then turn on his emergency beacons, since there was now an emergency to respond to.

Some people in 4wd pickups seem to think they're invincible in any kind of weather and can drive like they please, you usually see them in the ditch or against the guardrail just after they pass you.

Years ago while driving to work a 4wd pickup that was all lettered up about first responder training was passing everybody on the unplowed, inside most lane of the expressway. After getting a little ways ahead of me he lost it, spun out, tagged a couple of cars, forced others to take evasive action and end up off the road.

He came to a halt sideways in the middle of the 4 lane road a little ways in front of me. I could see him say "****" and then turn on his emergency beacons, since there was now an emergency to respond to.

Instead of idiots in 4x4 trucks driving like that around here (there are some but they usually know better), we have idiots driving around in AWD Subarus thinking they couldn't possibly lose traction... And then they do, and they end up in a ditch. I once had a coworker who told me a story about riding with a friend to go snowboarding in the mountains; it was a female friend with a Subaru and she was driving way too fast for the snowy road conditions. My coworker wasn't much of a car guy but he was smart and came from an engineering background and knew that stopping has nothing to do with how the wheels are driven... anyway he told me he had to pretty much force her to slow down because she was convinced her "symmetrical all-wheel-drive would keep them safe". SCREW THAT lol.

When I drive my '93 4x4 Jeep Cherokee with part-time transfer case (manual lever for 2HI, 4HI, N, 4LO and locks the front and rear driveshafts in 4x4) in the snow or ice I pop it into 4HI pulling away from a stop and once I'm moving I throw it back into 2HI and keep it there unless it's so slick the rear end starts swinging. Trying to turn on a slippery surface with true locked 4x4 is scary, front end always ends up plowing straight ahead.

You can always go to slow, you can only go to fast once. 4wd just lets you dumb stuff faster

duh.jpg

That time of year: who needs winter tires anyway?

I put the hot rods away and break out the 4x4 Dakota. I run Cooper AT3’s and drive slow and carefully because you guys are dead nuts balls on accurate. Once you loose it, that’s it! Good luck!

I put the hot rods away and break out the 4x4 Dakota. I run Cooper AT3’s and drive slow and carefully because you guys are dead nuts balls on accurate. Once you loose it, that’s it! Good luck!
"I could" tell a story about a screwball in a jeep that got on the snow packed expressway behind me one time. He was crowding me trying to get around, like he had the world by the tail. About a 1/4 mile after he passed me, he did about 3 loops and slid off into the center median, stuck. I rolled my window down and honked and waved at him as I went by, "but I won`t" .

4wd is nice, but its the tires that make the difference. All season tires dont even compare to To a Blizzak type tire. There are more 4wd vehicles wiped out in the ditches than cars around here anyway.

thats not because of the tires.. its because those assholes in their 50,000 dollar 4x4 think they can drive like its dry out because they have 4x4.

around here we don't really need snow tires.. been driving back and forth to work 40 miles each way for 17 years now in a little toyota or honda with front wheel drive and never put a snow tire on it.. those little cars get me there every time. last couple years there hasn't really been much snow but not all that long ago we had good amounts of snow and ice storms.

these days i drive the cherokee to work when its shitty out like that.. all those salt trucks beat the hell out of my newer cars so i leave them home and take the 200,000 mile cherokee to work. let that get all salted up.

Joe, that be about Philadelphia for yea then huh? That’s a good trip for work. I wouldn’t want to drive that much everyday.

Bob, there is always that guy. I had one as well in a 4Runner destroy his ride on the center medium guard rail. Same crap, 3 or 4 - 360 spins and wham-o!

I confess that I was doing about 40/45 mob in about 8-10 inches of the snow. But he went passed me WAY faster. I really mean to honestly say he was doing much better than 60.

Anything doing 60+ in the snow better be a snow mobile or on skies or .... you get the picture.

Joe, that be about Philadelphia for yea then huh? That’s a good trip for work. I wouldn’t want to drive that much everyday.
actually its trenton nj.. i do 12 hr shifts so i only work 14 days a month unless i pick up some OT.

i'm only about 20min from philly..:)

-
Back