That'll ruin Your day, but luckier than it seems..

-

Killer6

Reaction score
Young man gets lucky even tho' He crashes, I knew it wasn't a rod, just listening to it. The cause?,.....threw the balance weight out of the crank..just past the halfway point of the vid.

Saw that, when they showed the crank where the weight came out, their was nothing there to hold it in. All of them I have seen were welded in. He got lucky that's for sure.

I like this Kid, pretty calm, & readily called out the builder for trying to lay it on the crank mfr. There ain't no room for that BS, own it, & fix it. Your reputation is better served..it shouldn't have occured but it did, lying to one customer can cost You more than one, it amazes Me how common it still is with the ease of exposure in this day & age.

This entire deal ---and could have been fatal, not only to the driver but to others on the track and nearby--was caused by RADIALLY installing crank "Mallory" weights instead of AXIALLY installed.

This entire deal ---and could have been fatal, not only to the driver but to others on the track and nearby--was caused by RADIALLY installing crank "Mallory" weights instead of AXIALLY installed.
I'd like to know what the mass of that slug is, turning at what, 7,600rpm? Then figure what the potential "energy at the muzzle" would be at the crank radius for that projectile..

I'd like to know what the mass of that slug is, turning at what, 7,600rpm? Then figure what the potential "energy at the muzzle" would be at the crank radius for that projectile..

No idea how far the weight actually was from the crank centerline, but 4" from centerline would give a circumference of about 25" - or 25" travelled per revolution. At 7600rpm that's 126.7 revs per second, 25*126.7 = 3183.5 in/s, or 265.3 ft/s, or about 180mph. I definitely wouldn't want to get hit with it, but not necessarily a gunshot level of velocity.

No idea how far the weight actually was from the crank centerline, but 4" from centerline would give a circumference of about 25" - or 25" travelled per revolution. At 7600rpm that's 126.7 revs per second, 25*126.7 = 3183.5 in/s, or 265.3 ft/s, or about 180mph. I definitely wouldn't want to get hit with it, but not necessarily a gunshot level of velocity.
I'd have to watch it again, but that mallory(which is heavy) looked to be 2-3× the size of a 12ga. slug, Energy = mass x velocity squared, so for rough-guessing 2.5oz(.15625lb.) x 265.3 sq.'d(70,384) = 10,997 lb./ft. That's 20x a full load 357 Mag.
Std. 12ga slugs being typically 1oz. & muzzle velocity of 1350-1550 for sabots, & 1600-1760 for rifled slugs.
Yeah, You don't want to take any of these to the chest, :eek: !!!

I'd have to watch it again, but that mallory(which is heavy) looked to be 2-3× the size of a 12ga. slug, Energy = mass x velocity squared, so for rough-guessing 2.5oz(.15625lb.) x 265.3 sq.'d(70,384) = 10,997 lb./ft. That's 20x a full load 357 Mag.
Std. 12ga slugs being typically 1oz. & muzzle velocity of 1350-1550 for sabots, & 1600-1760 for rifled slugs.
Yeah, You don't want to take any of these to the chest, :eek: !!!

Pounds are force, mass is in slugs (32.174 lbf = 1 slug).
2.5oz is about 0.005 slugs.
The equation for kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2.
That makes the muzzle energy about 171 ft lbf. Still not something I want to be in the way of! LOL

Last edited:
-
Back