That's Right! It's a Duster!

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I took my Duster out for a spin this afternoon to test out my alignment and a few other things I did.

A guy pulled up to me at a light and asked, "Is that a Duster"? I told him it was. The light changed (I was turning left.) before I could tell him that everybody guesses it's a Nova.

I was so shocked that he guessed it correctly, that I wished I was going the same way so I could've congratulated him!

It's only been on the road a short time, but no one has ever guessed correctly. Even when it's been in the garage being built for the last 14 years!

Maybe he wanted to get the model correct for when he reported me for going a bit sideways on the 1-2 shift leaving the previous light?
:rolleyes: :)

Screenshot_20221027-174036.png

In the defense of some people, look at this angle.....

01 Nova (2).jpg

At a glance, it does look similar to a Duster.

IMG_1422 (2).JPG

It`s obvious Chrysler copied the Nova design when designing the Duster.
Who was first? Nova...
Also same with the E bodies. Who was first? Camaro...
Don`t bash, get over it.

On a side note...
I drove the duster out to the store the other day and as I'm walking back out, I am walking maybe 20 feet behind this couple
just far enough to be able to make out half of the conversation

as luck would have it, they walked past the duster, and then took a sharp left around it to get to their car

I can see them looking at it, and I hear him say something, but im too far off to hear what he said

whatever he said, I could hear her reply loud and clear
she said "its a duster"

the guy just stops, looks at her and goes "how could you possibly know that?"

and she, with her chipper little voice, goes, "says so on the front"

that made my day

20180824_194757.jpg

In the 80's, I had a Demon. That always got called a Duster. One time, while bracket racing it, I had the radio on as I was going down the track in the final. I heard the announcer (track had a small radio transmitter) say, "The Duster in the right lane runs 14.98 on a 14.98 dial for the win." Oh well, I still took the check. :BangHead:

They were obviously inspired by the gen 3 nova but Mopar executed it way better.

We've had several nova vs Duster threads.

Here's a recap-

nova- weak bolted front sub frame.
Duster- welded uni-body.
Verdict- have you ever seen a Duster "dog track"?

nova- post coupe with posts around door windows
Duster- hybrid design with higed rear windows and no posts on door windows set an engineering record for most side glass curvature.
Also preceded the similar gm "colonnade" styling used on intermediates by 3 years.

nova- small rear wheel wells with low arches.
Duster- run almost any size and width you want.

Duster/Demon/Dart Sport- could be had with functional hod scoop(s).
nova- don't think so.

1666973484679.png

1666973504387.png

1666973529674.png

1666973557215.png

It's close, mechanically. I intend to take it apart after a while to paint it. My family is leaning me towards the original Avacado Gold. (It's actually a 74 Dart Sport)
The bumpers are fiberglass, with member Lingenfelter aluminum brackets. I'm going to try a chrome-like wrap on them. I don't like painted bumpers.
I might use Moroso valve covers that match the air cleaner. Whatever I use has to be light. That's a theme throughout the car. (Fiberglass hood and fenders, too.) I'm probably going to paint the engine whatever color is right for a 71. But, it's hardly a resto, so who knows?
The interior is done.
Oh, it has a 360, 727, and 9" Ferd w/ 4.33's. I got the whole drive train from a totaled Pro Street D150.

Last edited:
1666973971831.png

1666973987722.png

1666974009232.png

The last shot is how it looked when I bought it in 2008. It was a 198, 3 on-the-tree, manual steering and brakes.

Last edited:
Wait.....

You mean it's really NOT a Duster?

-
Back