The 340 is out....again.....

-
Like everything else, there are production tolerances. The pickup is DESIGNED to touch the pan.

Do some research.

So, in fact, the pick up touching the pan was the zero end of the tolerance and plus .1875 (that's 3/16 for you fractional types) on the high side IIRC. I have not seen these numbers since 1980 but I have never forgotten the ideal fit is on the pan. I suspect most never went out that way, because some idiot will smash the pan.

Again, the OP did NOT have an issue because the pick up was touching the floor of the pan. That is where it should be.

Can't tell you ho many I put together that way, but it's correct. The OP needs to look for something else to cover his problem.

And add at least one quart more oil and remark the dip stick. Maybe two quarts if he is going to smash on the throttle or worse yet, try and fender race and stomp on the brakes.

Funny thing is, David Reher just wrote a technical article on this stuff. Everyone should read it. There'd be way fewer broken engines out there.
YR Do you have a link to David's article?
I looked and cant find it
Thanks in advance

YR Do you have a link to David's article?
I looked and cant find it
Thanks in advance

I know have no idea which article I was referring to. It either had to be a very late October or early November article he published in National Dragster. All those articles are listed on the Reher-Morrison website. He wrote 100 of them, and every one of them is worth reading.

Go to the RM website and click on the Tech Talk tab and all 100 articles are listed. All of them are worth reading.

Should be as long as there was gas treatment in the tank. Maybe after 5 years you could have problems but I have seen them turn over easily after 10-20 years as long as the rain does not get inside them.

I mean the OP

-
Back