The 70 Duster......

-
I bet he loves it. Good for you and your brother to be able to do this for him. And thanks for some of the projects I got from ya'll to do this for him.

No thank you and all those that bought the stuff. It has really lifted a burden off my dad not to have to mow and weed eat around all the stuff we had gathered over the years. Not to mention keeping tires up, things covered up and just taking care of what 30+ cars demands.

When I first had the heart to heart talk with my dad about selling off the untouched, unfinished cars. He was not excited about it at all to say the least! But I let him think it over until my next trip back home (we were living in Fort Worth at the time). I explained that I would pool all the money from everything I sold and buy ONE finished car. He said "IF you really think you can make that happen". He wanted a 70 Charger, 66-67 Satellite, 69-70 Road Runner or a newer Challenger. When the cars started getting sold off and picked up. I know he had his doubts that the plan would really happen. He never said anything to me about it but I knew watching him that with every car that left. It truly hurt him to watch the stuff go. I just kept plugging along with the plan and thought it over and over about what to do when we got closer to the finish line. We had 3 older Mopars that were pretty much finished so another older car would just mean more upkeep. So I wanted to get him something that he could get in and turn the key and go!! We just could not find what we were looking for in a newer Challenger. Either it was red, black or was a 6 speed manual. When this car came up last week I could not believe it!! It is optioned truly like he would have ordered it if he could have made it happen. Blue Streak Pearl, white stripes, modern Classic Magnum 500 style wheels and NO sunroof. Then being it was one owner, no tinted windows and documented service from day 1......JUST WHAT WE HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!! :thumbrig::thumbrig: To say he (and to my surprise my mom) is happy? That would be an understatement! Oh man, they absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

The bumpers, bumper brackets, battery tray and quarter panel were delivered to the body shop today! Body guy was very impressed with the AMD quarter panel.

Attachments

• Barracuda Quarter Panel Jan 28, 2015.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 627
Update Barracuda progress!! Media blasting has been done! Looks like we have turned a $3000 car into a $300 car! But hopefully the value of the car is at the bottom and going up from this point!!!

Attachments

• Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Rear view.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 573
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 quarter off.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 567
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 floors.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 567
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Hood .jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 567
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Underside.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 577
Even some small pieces are looking better!!!

Attachments

• Barracuda Feb 2015 Suspension parts.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 573
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 A arms.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 572
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 K member.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 578
More pics of Barracuda in bare metal.....

Attachments

• Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Dr front.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 548
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Pass engine comp.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 562
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Firewall.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 564
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Pass trunk ext.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 567
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Roof.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 572
  • Barracuda Feb 20 2015 Side Bare Metal.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 559
Ordered from Mancini Racing........

MOG-K7103 - Offset control arm bushings
MREKIT-1ES - Mancini Racing Front End Rebuild Kit (Moog Super Kit)
WHICH INCLUDES.........
MOG-ES401R - RH tie rod end (x2)
MOG-ES401L - LH tie rod end (x2)
MOG-ES319S - tie rod sleeve (x2)
MOG-K772 - ball joint (x2)
MOG-K8243A - control arm cam bolt (x2)
MOG-K408 - control arm bushing
MOG-7293 - bump stops (x2)
MOG-K3180 - bump stop single (x2)
MOG-K791 - front lower control arm bushing (x2)
MOG-K781 - RH ball joint
MOG-K783 - LH ball joint
MOG-K7016A - strut rod bushing kit
MOG-K5255 - sway bar end link set (x2)

Delivered the dash assembly, steering column, front seats (seat tracks), brake pedal assembly, e-brake pedal assembly and rear sway bar over the body shop so he could start getting those detailed like they should be.

Took the front suspension kit over today.

Attachments

• Barracuda suspension parts 3-3-15.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 509
The package tray had been cut out for speakers. So the new package tray going in and Jason planning to install the new drivers floor pan this afternoon.

Attachments

• Barracuda package tray has been cut.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 499
  • 73 Barracuda March 3, 2015 024.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 488
Considering it took 3 or 4 years to get the Duster or Charger this far along. He is way ahead of the game! I went over by myself today and had time to discuss more detail on the car. Once the Barracuda parts list has been covered. I am going to start getting parts for the Satellites gathered! I have a crazy plan in mind on the next car!!!!

EDIT: Once I got the Charger and Duster to Larry. He took no time in getting them done. It was all the hassle up to that point that took years..... Larry kept to the time frame that he said it would be on each car. I can not complain about the time he had the cars.

Ordered from Detroit Muscle Technologies....

DMT MOPAR 72 73 74 Plymouth Barracuda AC Resto Exterior Paint Gasket Set BIG

1.Paint Gasket Set
Parking/turn signal light gaskets
Side marker light gasket sets 2 frt, 2 rear
Door handle gasket (2 black plastic)
Taillight gaskets
Fuel filler to body gasket
Fuel emissions tube to trunk floor gasket
Antenna gasket
Trunk lock gasket
License plate light gasket

2.Firewall Gasket Set
Master cylinder reinforcement plate
Master cylinder gasket set
Steering column
Accelerator pedal & throttle cable seal
Wiper pivots to cowl
4 speed pedal bracket to firewall seals (2 pcs)
Blower motor to firewall
Heater core & evap tubes to firewall seal
A/C box to firewall drain seals
Electrical bulkhead seals (6 pcs)
Wiper motor to cowl gasket
Slapstick shifter linkage to trans tunnel

3.Heater Box Resto Kit
All foams, caulks necessary and insulations including basic instructions
NOTE: Items that overlap with firewall kit will be removed

4.New A/C heater to cowl extruded sponge rubber seal

5.New rubber engine well Splash Shield Set with stainless steel clips

6.Pair of New rubber mirror gaskets

Local auto parts store....
Door pin kit (x2)

Can I just say I hate you. Being able to pick up the phone and order what ever you need just ain't fair. Now please get back to an A body and suffer like the rest of us. Just kidding looks amazing great job so far. I love E body's also. Thumbs up.

So says the guy with a Hemi living in paradise............... :)

It is all about being thrifty. I don't spend money on much except cars. I don't have a closet full of new clothes and shoes. I don't wear a watch because they cost money. I don't drink or smoke for the same reason. A lot of the time when we go out to eat we try to split a meal because it is cheaper and usually the size of most meals will feed two. We don't do much more than basic cable. We were never lucky enough to have kids so cars are my outlet....

Just to give you an idea. For night stands, we used card board boxes with sheets over them for well over 10 years. We live well below our means.... These cars were bought about 10 years ago. I had a plan to gather cars, save money and rebuild when I could afford the parts. I chose not to get started on anything until I could afford to finish it.

Finally found someone that had the 70 rear bumper guard brackets in stock!!

Ordered from
Tamraz...
981-1570-S - AMD 70-72 Plymouth Barracuda Rear Bumper Guard Bracket Set

Florida Auto Fasteners...
72 73 74 Cuda Challenger front valance nut & black bolt kit bolts nuts 16 pcs

3/9/2015
Bought from partshound on ebay...
RESTORED RALLY DASH INNER RADIO BEZEL

Order a few more things....

From Replacemints "Professionally hand crafted in the USA"....
MO166 - 1971-74 Plymouth Barracuda Coupe Repops Window Felt Weatherstrip Kit 8 pcs

From Vans Auto......
Mopar 70 71 72 73 74 Challenger Door Sill Plates NEW

Classic Industries.... (below)
MN1820 shows 71 RR bumper guard...but RR is for rear, not Road Runner

Attachments

• Barracuda Classic Order March 6 2015 list.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 426
Spent about 3 hours at the shop today. Jason was working the roof and getting the undercoating scraped off. It is amazing how quick guys can work metal when they know what they are doing. He would have me feel a slight wave in the roof and then he would work it a few minutes with dent puller, hammer the high spots and work it with a hammer and dolly. Then it was smooth. The dent puller he had was cool. I recall the old system where you had to tack a stud on the spot and then use the slide hammer. His machine tacked to the spot, pull on the dent, twist and on to the next spot without leaving a stud on the metal. It was pretty cool to see how metal work is done.

Attachments

• Barracuda March 11 2015 192.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 385
After ~3 hours of scraping with a Harbor Freight $20 oscillating power tool and some elbow grease with a standard scraper... Still a LONG WAY to go to get all the undercoating off.

Attachments

• Barracuda March 11 2015 194.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 385
D & L Automotive Machine (Canyon Texas) has built the motors in all three cars. They did the machine work on the Barracuda engine but my brother is assembling that motor.

Spent about 4 hours at the shop today. Does not look like much but removing undercoating is a slow process.

Attachments

• Barracuda March 13 2015 001.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 372
  • Barracuda March 13 2015 002.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 354
D+L also builds our other brothers dirt track(Chevy) motors. As well as quite a few other Mopar motors in the area for street and strip.

-
Back