The 70 Duster......

-
Ah new bumpers - the silver lining in the plight for paint. How much and from who did you get them. How's about taking the paper off and showing us how pretty they are. Tease . . .

Ah new bumpers - the silver lining in the plight for paint. How much and from who did you get them. How's about taking the paper off and showing us how pretty they are. Tease . . .

Gonna to have to wait. We are in Chicago for a few days. I plan to deliver the new bumpers later this week and I will get some pics. I also have some plans to make an improvement on the 71 Dart while I am up there. Pics will follow when I get back.

Gonna to have to wait. We are in Chicago for a few days. I plan to deliver the new bumpers later this week and I will get some pics. I also have some plans to make an improvement on the 71 Dart while I am up there. Pics will follow when I get back.
Well maybe you can stay in town till at least Saturday evening to make a debut in the Dart at Cruise night.

Probably won't get the Dart out. I still want to improve a few things on it first. Probably have it decent enough by the Chryslers in the Canyon show. Right now the main focus is trying to get Brian to finish the Charger. I have a shop lined up to do finally assembly of the car (all but motor and trans). I was in hopes that we would have both the Dart and Charger ready for the CIC show. However the window to get it in the shop rotation is closing. I have tried everything to get him to finish color sanding and buff it, but it's just not happening.

or show up and hold his hand until he is done with it, especially if you have it in line at another place to be put back together in time for CIC4

Got a chance to go up and see the paint on the Charger project. Car looks pretty good just has not been color sanded or buffed. Painter said he finally got the materials bought to get that taken care of. I was told by the painter, "I am shooting for having it done next weekend".

Attachments

• AmarilloTripMay5, 2012 056.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,000
  • AmarilloTripMay5, 2012 062.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 985
Since this thread was originally about the Duster project. Here is a picture that sums up the last 2 years of progress (or lack there of). It is now resting back where it has sat.....untouched for that time frame.

Attachments

• AmarilloTripMay5, 2012 067.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 969
I was able to work on the air cleaner for the Duster though. Bought one at Pate a couple of weeks ago and did a quick/light media blasting on the lid as a test panel. Then did a couple of coats of primer. Then a quick scuff and laid a few coats of paint down to protect it from the elements. Now that I have practiced on it. Next time I plan to redo it and spend some extra time on the media and prep work for a better final product.

Attachments

• 340 Air Cleaner Crusty.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 1,008
  • AmarilloTripMay5, 2012 051.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 965
  • AmarilloTripMay5, 2012 050.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 959
Update....neither car has been touched by the body shop. Keep getting replies like..."next week". But I continue to gather parts while they are being held hostage. I found a floor shift column for the Charger at the Pate Swap meet. So I found this just in case I need it!

Attachments

• 4spd5.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 950
  • 4spd9.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 948
Since this thread was originally about the Duster project. Here is a picture that sums up the last 2 years of progress (or lack there of). It is now resting back where it has sat.....untouched for that time frame.

What's that green and grey shelf in the backround? :happy2: sorry, i couldnt resist.........

What's that green and grey shelf in the backround? :happy2: sorry, i couldnt resist.........

It is the last hostage at the body shop! Just got this one freed yesterday!

Attachments

• Charger B5 picked up 6-22-2012 182.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 869
  • Charger B5 picked up 6-22-2012 Fr Close.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 895
Going to have some fun with that Charger on those wide open plains all around you...

Yep, it is pretty darn flat around there. Got the 440 to the machine shop a couple of days ago for the Charger! Ordered the new dash pad, vinyl top and complete weatherstrip kit from Dante's! Then when money allows I will get the rest of the interior ordered. I should have some updates coming within the next couple of weeks on the Chargers progress.

The Duster....still in the body shop...status unknown.

I should have something ready by then. The new parts show to start arriving up there tomorrow! Should see some good progress in a couple of weeks!

Took advantage of the July 4th Legendary sale!

AA71CRX0010340 front bucket seat covers
AA71CRX0040340 rear bench seat cover
SK71ABE0P18340 fr. seat backs (hard)
DO71CXP0012340 fr. upper door panels
DO71CXP0048340 rear upper door panels
DO71CRXPM12340 fr. lower door panels
DO71CRXPM48340 rear lower door panels
AP71CRXP340 fr. arm rest pad
KI71CRXP340 fr. kick panels
KI71CRX kick panel insulation
PP71CRX340 pillar post cover
PT71CRWX340W package tray with speaker cut outs
PT71CRWXJ package tray insulation
DOCLIPS X 25 clips for door panels
WG71CRX-CLIP fr and rear window clips

I left the carpet and headliner out of the order so I could get the color samples to match to the rest of the interior. They do not offer the same "bright blue" color code 340 in those so I wanted to get samples to make sure and get it right.

The Charger has been moved to it's new temporary home for assembly!! I decided to try to get the car done in a timely manner that I would have someone put it all back together! Hope to have some progress pictures over the next few months.

Attachments

• Charger Trip 7-6-2012 061.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 748
Saw a Year One discount code for 25% off today so I ordered the following for the Charger.

PN: HU285B Dash harness, 1971 Plymouth and Dodge B-body models with gauges, reproduction.

PN: HU117NM Engine harness modified for electronic ignition for all 1971 B-body models with 383 or 440 engines without Six Pack. reproduction.

PN: RL68 Rear light harness 1971 Plymouth and Dodge B-body models, reproduction.

PN: HU231N Backup light and neutral safety switch harness 1971 B-body models with A/T, reproduction. .

PN: HU234B 71 Charger forward light harness w/o concealed headlights with fender top turn signals

PN: USK4W Underhood wiring strap kit for 1971-1972 B-body models, reproduction.Underhood wiring strap and fastener kit includes all the original-type fasteners and clips originally used at the factory.

PN: MM368 Headlight adjusting kit 1971 Charger/Super Bee reproduction. Headlight adjusting kit for models with 4 headlight systems. This kit includes 8 headlight adjusting screws with base, 4 headlight bucket tension springs and 4 spring retaining screws.

PN: BKM85 Interior bulb kit for 1971-1972 Charger and Coronet models with Rallye dash. This reproduction interior bulb kit comes with the bulbs bagged and marked for their location. 32-pcs

PN: EKM72 Exterior bulb kit for 1971-1972 Charger, Coronet, and Satellite models. This reproduction exterior bulb kit comes with the bulbs bagged and marked for their location. 15-pcs.

Got word from the machine shop today on the 440 for the Charger....

"Both of heads are cracked in the exhaust seat area. The block made a .030 and the crank made a 10-10. Engine kit will get ordered tomorrow and should be in next week."

What are you going to do about heads? What is the estimated time of completion? Are you going to come up and help put it together?

-
Back