The 70 Duster......

-
I did purchase a correct rallye cluster. However I have not had any luck finding a correct dash frame or wiring harness for the rallye cluster. If I can somehow locate those and get them bought before the shop is ready for the completed dash frame I will convert to the rallye setup.

The original agreement was that I would pay 1/2 down, pay for the paint and materials, and then pay the remaining balance when the work was complete. I paid the half down, bought the materials. Then with about 20% of the work complete, the shop wanted me to pay all but a few hundred dollars of the remaining balance. The way I looked at it was if the shop was only going to get a few hundred once the car was complete, there would be no incentive to finish the car for the amount of money that would have been owed. So I had to pull it before they started taking short cuts. The sad part is, the guy was doing really nice work (according to a couple of other shops that have looked at the car about taking it in). I think they under-estimated the total time involved and once the car got torn apart they wanted to use that against me to send more money.

you need to name the shop

Naming the shop would not help. The shop was a person that worked at bodyshops for a long time and then decided to venture out on his own. He was painting Harley's and wanted to tap into the muscle car business. However, I think he just bit off way more than he could chew and got behind on his personal obligations and wanted to use my car as the reason he got behind, in hopes that I would give him a blank check to finish the car. The car is now in a shop that will take care of the car for me! It may take a little longer to finish than I had hoped for, but that is fine. The reward should be a better end product!

The bad thing this extra time has me thinking about doing a few extra things. Mini tubbing, possible 4 wheel discs...I asked the machine shop to hold off on the basic 360 build and might go with a 408 if the paint comes out really nice. But who knows, give a car guy time to think and we will end up costing ourselves a fortune. This project was started with the idea of making a car just a little nicer than our Dart and being done by this summer. Now, HOPEFULLY it will be finished by the time we move in May-June 2011.

Well again, not much has happened over the last few weeks or months. I did locate a correct rallye dash frame so now I have the dash frame and cluster. I may not use it but I have it if I decide to. I still need to figure out a wire harness for it if I do go with the rallye cluster. Anyway, I also ordered a set of US CAR TOOLS frame connectors today. This weekend I really need to figure out what 4 wheel disc brake kit to order. I want slotted and cross drilled rotors but can not find any information on which kit to use that will clear 15 inch wheels. I have been leaning on the idea of using Billet Specialties Street Lites and having a set of 17 wheels for a different look once in a while.

The shop called today. Well not the bodyshop :mad:, but the shop that is rebuilding the 8.75 rearend. They tore it down and are cleaning the housing and all the parts overnight. I still need to decide on the gears (probably 3.55's) and figure out what would be some decent LBP axles and suregrip type unit to order. Still making a little progress, although the car is being held hostage in the bodyshop. Today the car has been sitting 3 months without a person touching it. :( Babysteps....

Update for 5/3/2010 - the rear end housing and K member got dropped off to be sand blasted and powdercoated. Auburn posi unit and new gears came in Friday...hope to have some assembly pics soon.

Got a picture from the shop that is working on the rear end. The housing was powdercoated (along with K member gloss black). New Auburn unit and gears are installed and waiting for the rear disc brake kit.

05-19-2010reargears.jpg

Update 6/11/2010 - Leaf springs were dropped off today to be re-arched to factory ride height. Also should have some progress on the bodywork in the next 4-6 weeks.

Got a call last week from the body shop that they wanted a better drivers side fender. The original fender was bent near the drivers door area. Every time the door got opened it was hitting the fender and had really torn up the edge of the fender. So they asked for a better one. Got one picked up yesterday (came attached to a parts car). Now we have a complete parts car just in case I need any small items (radio, glass, window hardware etc) once we start going back together with the green car.

Also my parents went to the bodyshop to drop of the UScartool subframe connectors. They looked at the progress on the car. As of this morning the drivers quarter panel is almost finished. The lower patch panels are installed and completed. My parents said that it is looking really really good so far! I hope to have some pics in the next few weeks.

Thanks. I was not expecting pictures for a few more weeks. So it was a nice surprise when I got those last night. Hopefully will have some good pics over the next couple of weeks on the lower quarter panel patch areas. Anyway, I was happy that work is going forward again!! One small step closer.....many more to go.

Here is the parts car..

DusterPartsCar6-14-2010.JPG

I just discovered this restoration thread Carcrazyguy, it is SO great to see you save this Duster. Kudos to you.

In the first photo it looks so sad and unwanted in the weeds and the sun is setting in the background....ok I see the pic was taken at sunrise but still. I guess then it was the 'dawn' of a new day for a sweet Duster!

Well again, not much has happened over the last few weeks or months. I did locate a correct rallye dash frame so now I have the dash frame and cluster. I may not use it but I have it if I decide to. I still need to figure out a wire harness for it if I do go with the rallye cluster. Anyway, I also ordered a set of US CAR TOOLS frame connectors today. This weekend I really need to figure out what 4 wheel disc brake kit to order. I want slotted and cross drilled rotors but can not find any information on which kit to use that will clear 15 inch wheels. I have been leaning on the idea of using Billet Specialties Street Lites and having a set of 17 wheels for a different look once in a while.

Just so you know, Cross drilled rotors are not a good idea. They provide no benefit (performance wise) except looks, and are extremely prone to stress cracks even on the better brands. Even the OE corvette drilled rotors are basically throwaways. The slotted does help keep the pad clean though. Just thought you might want to know.

The Duster is looking GREAT! And just for the record, I vote FJ6.

This has been a long road and still a lot longer to go. I bought the car in 2005 and have been gathering parts since. It is being built as a cruise night car. As for the brakes, I did go with the Wilwood kit for front and back. A few weeks ago I also decided against cross drilled rotors. I still need to purchase a lot of stuff for the project like seat covers, carpet, headliner and oh yeah motor needs to be decided on and built. I keep going back and fourth on mild 360 or something better.

Great thread, it's going to be a great car no matter what engine you choose, but since it's not me playing for it, lol, I'm going to vote for a 408.

-
Back