The 8 1/4 thread

-
No I do not. But there is a machinist not too far from my house that I'm sure could do it for cheap.

the pinion bearing seem to be the same but worth changing.

the carrier bearings on the newer carrier are bigger OD making them to big to fit in your case but there are the same ID as the bearings on your old setup.

so the original bearing sizes of course will fit your housing and also the newer carrier.

get the carrier and see if it will fit in the rear end (never know somebody could have changed them already) if so you have the numbers you need if not you can order the ones you need.

I did all new bearings/races and seals in mine all very accessible( and many right in stock)from my local parts stores. Or you canget them from somebody here or ebay

i actually still have all the boxes with numbers and will get them together soon and post pics and part numbers for all the bearings and seals

Motive Dodge Chrysler 8.25" Master Bearing Rebuild Overhaul Kit Koyo Bearings
Just got this in my e mail.
Save the pinion bearing and grind out the center just enough to slip over the pinion and use it for setting the shims then take it off and press on the new bearing way easier then removing and re installing the new bearing. Sides are one shot off and on there is a side adjuster for them.

only thing that seems to not be in this kit is the axle bearings and seals

That would be great. They are in the beginning somewhere when I went through it. There is a year break in the 70's forgot when though. It is in here somewhere.

The axel bearings seals do not come in the kit or at least not a install kit. I got mine from rock auto or DR. Diff if I remember right just regular ones not the green ones he sells. Never really thought there would be much difference.

Tell you the truth the best way is when you take it apart measure them. I never really found info on the difference in carriers.

So I am getting one housing two carriers? I knew about the carriers, still think I had a offset housing, why did I scrap that!!:mob:

Curious on what you folks are running for hp on these rear ends? I have the 8.25 on my 75 duster but am stroking and running a 6v71 planning >500 hp.

Believe it or not it will stand up to it over 5 is iffy. Mine has done a while with a 440 I cannot take my foot off the gas, it is such a blast, and cheap also to fix, now......

Can you do a break down on exactly which
years and which cars
Which lockers
Which housings you can get these out of.

I've got the 8 1/4 with a 2.76 open right now sitting in my dart. I'd like to upgrade it to a 3.55 and will be hitting the yards soon.

So far I've seen
Dakotas
Cherokees
Grand cherokees

Dana 30
Dana 35
Chrysler 8 1/4

That have this type of stuff.

All the dana 35's have them some have a tone ring and some do not easy to remove it.

No sure grips that I know of in a 35, no idea in a 30 only helped a friend with one once. I know they will not fit in a 8.25

Ok.....no Dana 30.

I know the dana 35 came in the grand Cherokee.

What's the Dakota carrier everyone is using?

What in the regular Cherokee?

Ni idea most of mine came from grand Cherokees, think the Dakotas are mid 90's really not sure. Start a thread I am sure someone chimes in.

-
Back