The 8 1/4 thread

-
Yeah I don't know either. I just know my headache is getting worse, not better! I ordered a late model 29 spline Sure grip unit off E-bay to put in the 97 Dakota. Someone had welded the spiders in the open unit that was in there.
Ouch! I did learn a funny thing about jeep when they say 4wd that is mot true 4wd it means all 4 wheels turn 1 in front and 1 in back forward the others in revers,. Have to look for the tag to be sure before pulling the cover, usually on the ground in muck.

This is the rear I did with everyones help here. it came out of a 73 duster 318 car, these are all the pictures I have

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

01cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg

01ddd.jpg

01dd.jpg

01d.jpg

01dddd.jpg

01dddddddd.jpg

01ddddddddddddddddd.jpg

Thanks mike need the info it was offset right?
I quess, I have not seen one that was not off set, or know what one looks like that came out of a Jeep or other Mopar, all I have to give this thread is pictures buddy :)

If you think about it, they all have to be offset to some extent. You have to put the pinion on the side of the ring gear which would put the pinion offset! Right?

Ok more offset. I will find another one next weekend at the junkyard and get mesurements. Mike refresh me what was all the issues on that again?

i thought his only real issue was that the posi carrier he got would not accept the gear ratio he had IE: he had had the lower ratio(2.45 and down) carrier and a higher(3.55) ratio ring and pinion. so i sent him the 2.45 ring gear and pinion to fit.

That might have been it I forgot I know I sent him some side shims also maybe to try to get the 3.55 on the 2.45 carrier

with the exception of post 146 ( which looks to be different but it could be angles and lighting) all the 8.25s here look the same

That's it exactly look at the cover bolt the center one! Whew thought I was the minister of disinformation for a moment.

I think camera anglr has a lot to do with it I will try to get measurements sat from the flange to the pinion center to be sure. And casting # also seems they are all 2905's

I got the same problem I can't move the ring gear close enough to the pinion without running out of adjustment. What do you think of machining the carrier bearing deeper on the carrier and putting a shim between the carrier bearing and screw adjuster that would move the carrier( ring gear )closer to the pinion gear.without having to shim up the ring gear thoughts?

Sounds like you got the wrong ratio ring gear for the carrier. Meaning you have a carrier for one side of the gear break and gears from the other side of the break.

What gear was on the the carrier and what age you trying to put on it. I would not mess around with trying to modify a ring pinion or carrier.

Sounds like you got the wrong ratio ring gear for the carrier. Meaning you have a carrier for one side of the gear break and gears from the other side of the break.

What gear was on the the carrier and what age you trying to put on it. I would not mess around with trying to modify a ring pinion or carrier.
thanks

I don't know what carrier I have but i know its wrong. I'm putting a 3.55 ring gear in. I was hoping someone else did this before. I only need to move it a 1/16 to 1/8 more I will drill a small hole (.050) to see how thick it is. I can turn it between centers,the same way mopar did. I'll pest results if I don't chicken out. I can only loose a sure grip I can't use Thanks for the reply Jim

I don't know what carrier I have but i know its wrong. I'm putting a 3.55 ring gear in. I was hoping someone else did this before. I only need to move it a 1/16 to 1/8 more I will drill a small hole (.050) to see how thick it is. I can turn it between centers,the same way mopar did. I'll pest results if I don't chicken out. I can only loose a sure grip I can't use Thanks for the reply Jim

so you dont know what gear ratio came off the carrier you are trying to put the 3.55s on ??

if you have a 3.55s that wont set up because of excessive distance between the ring gear and pinion then i am very very sure you have the lower ratio carrier and to do it right you need the proper carrier for that ratio gear or put a smaller gear( just like memike did)on it for now just to have a posi.

Or buy the whole shooting match(carrier with ring and gear) like i did. I suppose you could have a ring machined to shim out the ring gear but im not sure if i would want to or how that would work.

That has been tried before also the game breaker was finding the proper length hardened lh thread bolts.

That has been tried before also the game breaker was finding the proper length hardened lh thread bolts.

yup but there has to be some that work its just finding the right ones. personally i would do like i did and buy it as the complete unit with ring and pinion. then change out the bearings/seals and races as needed and replace the rest just because you are already in there. you can always sell the lower gear ratio carrier because somebody is always looking for a posi even if it is for less gear instead of more.

Last edited:
That's why I sold that one to Mike.

yup

sometimes its hard to change directions and buy a whole new setup when you have already invested so much into one that wont work. I was lucky that I had the right setup and after a ton of research and twice as much doubt i only had to change a couple bearings.

yup

sometimes its hard to change directions and buy a whole new setup when you have already invested so much into one that wont work. I was lucky that I had the right setup and after a ton of research and twice as much doubt i only had to change a couple bearings.
Your right about changing directions I've machined the carrier to move the bearing in more.The housing was plenty thick. A shim on the other bearing and I'm good to go. now does anyone know the right pinion height from say the top of pinion to a dummie bar bolted in the carrier bearings? Thanks for the input Jim

Your right about changing directions I've machined the carrier to move the bearing in more.The housing was plenty thick. A shim on the other bearing and I'm good to go. now does anyone know the right pinion height from say the top of pinion to a dummie bar bolted in the carrier bearings? Thanks for the input Jim

sorry i cant help with that one but good luck.

I'm curious to know how this turns out. I do agree that the easiest and most logical path to take is to buy a complete package with gears and SG. There are a few people on E-bay that will sell the package deal out of a pre 97 Dakota for 279.00 -299.00.

-
Back