The 8 1/4 thread

-
I will check it out! This is a never ending adventure. Thankfully the car is running during all this!

Mine is a 74 also orig to the car but had open 3.23 for the tow package I guess. was a original owner slant car. That is a weird year I am finding out some of the stuff is the same as a volare at least in wiring.

I will check it out! This is a never ending adventure. Thankfully the car is running during all this!
That is a pluss for sure. Shot a pic of the casting number if you can, just curious.

here is the guy i got mine from gofastgearhead on eBay and he has a couple 8.25 carriers but one just like mine is a 29 spline and the other is a 27 spline which mine was.

i like it because it was decent priced and the gear set came with it and i have done the guesswork and experimenting as far as the bearings go.

Mine is a 74 also orig to the car but had open 3.23 for the tow package I guess. was a original owner slant car. That is a weird year I am finding out some of the stuff is the same as a volare at least in wiring.

my rear came from a factory V-8 car

here is the guy i got mine from gofastgearhead on eBay and he has a couple 8.25 carriers but one just like mine is a 29 spline and the other is a 27 spline which mine was.

i like it because it was decent priced and the gear set came with it and i have done the guesswork and experimenting as far as the bearings go.
You have to watch the carriers. I found a trak lok one nos for 80 and it turned out to be a offset that's how Memike got it. It would not work in mine.

You have to watch the carriers. I found a trak lok one nos for 80 and it turned out to be a offset that's how Memike got it. It would not work in mine.

ya i guess maybe i just got lucky that it was the right one and it looks as if he needs the offset one

Lets not jump the gun we are unsure what he has. definitely need a gear ratio of whats in it now.

That is a good deal it is definitely out of a Dana 35 because of the tone ring. Seriously hope the carrier is right.

Lets not jump the gun we are unsure what he has. definitely need a gear ratio of whats in it now.

just giving him some info. and i suppose if its a one wheel peel the gear ratio dont really matter because he will need to buy a carrier anyway

Let us know what it is when you get home should just take a second.
Carrier_text_550.jpg

Got this fro Dr. Diff

As far as I know, there is only 1 pinion offset machined into all 8.25" housings.

2. There were 2 carrier offsets, however. One for 2.45 and higher gears, and one for 2.76 and lower gears. In other words, you can install 3.55 gears in a housing that originally came with a 2.45 ratio, as long as you install the appropriate carrier.

3. In 1997, the axle spline count increased from 27 to 29.

4. In addition, 2 different carrier bearings are required, depending on the year of the housing. You can press the later style bearings on an early differential carrier and vise-versa, however.

This information is listed in the tech archives at moparts.com
8 1/4"
Differential Early: LM102949/LM102910 (Til mid-75 with "S" on top of case)
Differential Late: A-36 (Mid-75-up, with large "L" on top of case)
Pinion inner: M802048/M802011
Pinion outer: M86649/M86610
Seal: 8516N

Got this fro Dr. Diff

As far as I know, there is only 1 pinion offset machined into all 8.25" housings.

2. There were 2 carrier offsets, however. One for 2.45 and higher gears, and one for 2.76 and lower gears. In other words, you can install 3.55 gears in a housing that originally came with a 2.45 ratio, as long as you install the appropriate carrier.

3. In 1997, the axle spline count increased from 27 to 29.

4. In addition, 2 different carrier bearings are required, depending on the year of the housing. You can press the later style bearings on an early differential carrier and vise-versa, however.

This information is listed in the tech archives at moparts.com
8 1/4"
Differential Early: LM102949/LM102910 (Til mid-75 with "S" on top of case)
Differential Late: A-36 (Mid-75-up, with large "L" on top of case)
Pinion inner: M802048/M802011
Pinion outer: M86649/M86610
Seal: 8516N

so basically any 8.25 rear end with 27 spline axles that came with a carrier with at least a 2.45 or higher gear ratio will accept 2.45 and higher gear ratio or a whole different 27 spline carrier with 2.45 or higher gear ratio.

but depending on the year of the carrier(like me with a early to mid 90s carrier ) you might have to switch the bearings on the carrier and if it has a tone ring you might need grind the teeth off or remove the ring.

That's what I get out of it. Cass (Dr. Diff) has all the bearings. I might have a new set also I have a set I did not use depending if it is the large or small ones. Did you find out the ratio?

That's what I get out of it. Cass (Dr. Diff) has all the bearings. I might have a new set also I have a set I did not use depending if it is the large or small ones. Did you find out the ratio?

i was not looking for a ratio as i did my rear end a few months ago.

all you have to do is buy stock bearing for the make and year vehicle the rear end came out of and they will fit on the new carrier allowing it to fit in that rearend

Yes it worked on mine. I have a dana 35 track lok from a jeep with 3.55 in it. Still have to know which housing you have.
Is it offset or not is the question of the day. What gear ratio is in it now?????????

so if a person has a 8.25 rear end ( 27 spline/pre 1997) and the carrier has a 2.45 higher gear ratio it will accept a higher gear ratio or even a whole new/different carrier/ring and pinion as long as its 27 spline with 2.45 or higher gear ratio. might just have to change the carrier bearing and deal with a tone/reluctor ring.

All i did with mine is change carrier bearing and it fit with no issues.

Yes it worked on mine. I have a dana 35 track lok from a jeep with 3.55 in it. Still have to know which housing you have.
Is it offset or not is the question of the day. What gear ratio is in it now?????????

again im not the one looking so i dont know what rear he has but i believe he posted pics of it

Oh snap getting confused here keeping track. Yeah we need the gear ratio at least in the pic he posted it sure looks like a offset housing.

just order everything for a 1974/318 dodge dart 8.25 rear and all should be good. i got mine all at a local parts store and might even have the boxes with numbers left in the garage. i will look later as i have to roll out of here to do a drug test for anew job.

confusing 1.1 is high gear 9.9 is lower. Yes I agree do the axel bearings and seals at the same time why not everything is out.

-
Back