The 8 1/4 thread

-
Ok I took the cover off this weekend and this is what I saw.

8.25cover.jpg

8.25cover2.jpg

Looks like a offset pinion in the pic. The ratio should be stamped on the ring gear before you buy parts. 2.45 is the common high one. Can you get a pic of where the pinion goes in the front?

Ok great. Yeah I will flip it over and get a shot and then see if I can find the ratio. If it's the off centered one I can't swap out the diff and gears from a Dakota, can I? :/

You are limited then for sure. It is in the first page the differences in the normal and offset carriers. I found out the hard way also.

UGH! Well I will get a picture when I get home and then go from there. I'd rather not have to sell the setup if I can help it. Took too long to find.

The carrier or the housing took to long to find? There are jeeps all over the place here.

No to get the gears out of yes they are nowhere near a bolt in.

Ok just read the thread in its entirety. Lots of good information. So it looks like memike has the offset rear end and he was able to go with a shorter gear (3.55 I believe) by adding a spacer? And he could not go with sure grip/trac lock as well?

So if mine is indeed the offset, then I can swap gears with a spacer but CANNOT do a sure grip. Am I understanding correctly?

PM Mike he has the answers on that. I sent him a offset track lok for that rear. I would have to go back and read it again. @memike He is a good guy.

Just re read it it is 2.45 gears look at the pinion it is HUGE! post 121

PM Mike he has the answers on that. I sent him a offset track lok for that rear. I would have to go back and read it again. @memike He is a good guy.

and i sent him the 245 ring and pinion that came out of my rear when i switched to the posi and 355s

I thought you did. Another member going through it read back a page. Think he has the offset carrier, looks like it but not sure. We really need to get the housing part numbers together.

Gotcha, so he did the 2.45 gear? Shucks. I'm wanting to go from my 7&1/4 rear with 2.76s to something between a 3.55 and a 3.91. Was slow enough off the line before a stall, now it's even worse lol.

I'm 99% sure my casting number is 2852905.
So I just want to clarify, if mine is indeed the offset housing, I cannot get a shorter gear than 2.45?

I cannot find anything on the rear end castings except they were made. Look for the gear ratio stamped on the edge of the ring gear.

I think it is 2.56 and up for the offset carrier. Really surprised there is really nothing on the web about it.

Mine is on the lift right now I will take a pic of the front and look for a carrier #

Gotcha, so he did the 2.45 gear? Shucks. I'm wanting to go from my 7&1/4 rear with 2.76s to something between a 3.55 and a 3.91. Was slow enough off the line before a stall, now it's even worse lol.

I'm 99% sure my casting number is 2852905.
So I just want to clarify, if mine is indeed the offset housing, I cannot get a shorter gear than 2.45?

We were dealing with 8.25 housings so im not sure how much of this info is viable for a 7.25.

in the 8.25 the carrier ratio breaks are 2.45 and down (numerically) and 2.56 and up. so if it is the same in the 7.25 your 2.76 carrier should work with 3.55 or higher gear. i would not want much if anymore than 3.55 for a car you drive a lot but 3.73 would be the absolute most gear for me on a regularly street driven car.

But you are prob wanting posi as well right ?? because your current carrier is probably a one wheel peel.

Right, I bought an 8.25. I have a 7.25 in the car now and an 8.25 on jackstands.

Yep, 1 wheel peel. Probably 3.55s since I drive it and am trying to get it back to where I can drive it a couple times a week. Also want to hit 14s with the 318. Best is a 15.22. Blew the trans and put in a stall. Runs 15.40s now :/.

All I could find was 30103 and the camera is dead and charging.

Right, I bought an 8.25. I have a 7.25 in the car now and an 8.25 on jackstands.

Yep, 1 wheel peel. Probably 3.55s since I drive it and am trying to get it back to where I can drive it a couple times a week. Also want to hit 14s with the 318. Best is a 15.22. Blew the trans and put in a stall. Runs 15.40s now :/.

do you know what year the 8.25came out of

I got nailed with a offset housing before I knew about it. $200 at least it had 2.5 backing plates so I came out even ......almost

-
Back