The 8 1/4 thread

-
Groovy, Good morning Hops, you have an outstanding day your way :thumbsup: Thank you so very much for all the help, and doing this thread :thankyou:

Hey I added a shim pack and the crush collar. If you don't used those side shims I sent you do me a favor let me know they are kind of hard to find.

I picked up an A body 72 8 1/4 with a 321 gear. I've read the break is with the 271 gear set between the cases with the 271 using the "good" case. I have a 271 B body 8 1/4 of which I gutted to use the 321 ring and pinion in. I was going to just swap carriers but I've found that the A body rear uses the smaller bearings and races so I just bolted the ring on the B body carrier. I didn't realize there was also a difference in bearing size even though the cases appear identical except for the width. surprisingly, the pinion bearing and the crush sleeves are the exact same lol. the FSM shows a wrench to adjust the side to side play for the carrier instead of the long tool that slides into the tube. just a tid bit of info to share. I still have all the adjustments to make before I'm able to claim victory.

Last edited:
Seems like the bearing size is a crap shoot, If you are using the carrier that was in the rear and just changing gears no worries. My 74 was supposed to have the smaller 2.8? OD bearing and it had the 3.2? OD bearings. The ID is the same on both bearings. I use a pick to adjust the side bearing play myself, I made a tool and it is really just a PIA.

Hey I added a shim pack and the crush collar. If you don't used those side shims I sent you do me a favor let me know they are kind of hard to find.
I will send them back right away if I don't need them Hops Thank you again pard

I picked up an A body 72 8 1/4 with a 321 gear. I've read the break is with the 271 gear set between the cases with the 271 using the "good" case. I have a 271 B body 8 1/4 of which I gutted to use the 321 ring and pinion in. I was going to just swap carriers but I've found that the A body rear uses the smaller bearings and races so I just bolted the ring on the B body carrier. I didn't realize there was also a difference in bearing size even though the cases appear identical except for the width. surprisingly, the pinion bearing and the crush sleeves are the exact same lol. the FSM shows a wrench to adjust the side to side play for the carrier instead of the long tool that slides into the tube. just a tid bit of info to share. I still have all the adjustments to make before I'm able to claim victory.
I made my own tool for setting it up and it works perfect, went to Ace hardware and picked up a 3/4 in. pipe and two ........ Let me find a picture of it, it works great ..

I just welded a nut that fit on some bar stock with a old 3/8 extension end on it.

Hey Mike take pics of the "wrong gears" in the carrier, a pic of that sure will explain a lot and also the right 2.45 gears.

I will indeed do that when I get over there today Hops

Here is a picture of the tool I made and it works great

01ddddd.jpg

I wish you were closer Mike I would just give you this A body rear I have , I bought it for 60 bucks complete, just for the gears. I have no use for it lol.

I wish you were closer Mike I would just give you this A body rear I have , I bought it for 60 bucks complete, just for the gears. I have no use for it lol.
I would sure take it ! These A body housing are getting hard to find, and I think they are the best kept secrete if you ask me for upgrading from the 7 1/4, Hops will agree with me on that .

Went through the gear pile yesterday and have 2.45, 3.23, 3.73 and 3.90 also! Now to find some housings for them.

Ok got some bearing numbers for you all.
Carrier bearings
Small tmk set 45 consists of lm50349 and lm901310
large- set tmk-47 consists of lm102949 and lm 102910*

Pinion
Small M86649/m86610*
Large lm60349/lm60312*

* numbers came off the bearings races removed from a 1974 dart se rear with the larger bearings.

Never understood why people do not like them they stand up pretty well on the street.
I agree, these 8 1/4 are used in trucks and Ramchargers, so ! I think that putting them in our lite A bodies will do great even with 350 HP and driven daily or at the strip for some fun safe racing .

all good buddy thats what we are here for and you would ( and have done) the same for others
Well 1970-dart !! You saved my a$$ here sir :steering: This set of gears and pinion you sent me set up and back lash is smooth as a silk :thumbsup: Man on the hill is a happy man this morning :thankyou: The gears you posted fit and worked with the sure grip that @halifaxhops sent me to fit in my 8 1/4 :thankyou: This thread should be very helpful for members to look threw doing an 8 1/4 rear end wanting a sure grip
When I got the call last night my tec had everything @1970-dart and @halifaxhops set me up with !! Great members jumped in and helped get Victoria back on the street :) Yall Rock :thumbsup::thumbsup:

01dddddddd.jpg

01ddddddddd.jpg

Remember folks that is a 2.45 set up, kind of rare and has the off set carrier, should work fantastic.!!!! Looks great Mike.

You guys realise there is a "conversation" feature so this thread can only have posts related to 8 1/4. There are a lot of unnecessary posts that have cluttered this thread up.

Me Mike is going to delete the crap out of it after we get a good pile of info together.

-
Back