The 8 1/4 thread

-
I did take pics but they may be lost in Myspace somewhere.... There is definitely a difference in the 3.55 and 2.45 carriers but if the gears are matched with the correct carrier you should be good to go. I used the same shims from the 2.45 pinion and it set up fine with the 3.55.

I woulda bought a lottery ticket that day. The odds of the same shims even being close is amazing.

ok let me ask a question, 73 Duster 8 1/4 part# on ring gear is 2852938-3.2 ring gear has 44 teeth pinion has 14 teeth which comes up with 3.14 which housing would this be looks offset .

I think if you recheck the ring gear, it'll be 45 tooth, = 3:21 ratio, and it will fit the 2:76 and up carrier ..

And to the best of my knowledge there was no offset housings, only different gear/suregrip carriers to compensate for the vast pinion gear diameter size changes thru the ratios.

A 5:88 gearset may have a pinion gear diameter of a coupla inches, while a 2:76 ratio pinion gear diameter may be over 3 1/2 inches ish.. gotta move that ringgear over to the pinion somehow, thus different carrier. lol

I think if you recheck the ring gear, it'll be 45 tooth, = 3:21 ratio, and it will fit the 2:76 and up carrier ..

And to the best of my knowledge there was no offset housings, only different gear/suregrip carriers to compensate for the vast pinion gear diameter size changes thru the ratios.

A 5:88 gearset may have a pinion gear diameter of a coupla inches, while a 2:76 ratio pinion gear diameter may be over 3 1/2 inches ish.. gotta move that ringgear over to the pinion somehow, thus different carrier. lol
so does the 3.2 refer to the bearing size.

No the gear ratio for the final drive, say 41 on the ring gear and ten on the pinion is 4.10

There are two common ones the track loc and sure grip, As stated earlier they are carrier specific

My carrier is from 1973 that came out of a Duster. I am going threw all kinds of problems trying to get a sure grip to set up, I guess the gears I took off the peg leg and put on the sure grip carrier can't be dun, I wish I knew all about this before I bought it and put new bearings on it.. know I need a set of new bolts for the ring gear so I can put the peg leg (open Carrier) back in
Can anyone straiten me out on this ? I have 2.71 gears that came out of the 8 1/4.

My Rear end and sure grip carrier pictures

01d.jpg

01dd.jpg

01ddd.jpg

01dddd.jpg

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

01cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.jpg

There is a break in gear sizes on the carriers. From a certain size down will fit one carrier and s certain size up will fit another carrier and they will not interchange.

But worse case you should know now what your posi carrier will accept by what it won't accept ( gears off your open carrier) you could just get a new ring and pinion for the posi or sell ( they go fast on here)the posi.

So do you know what size gear was on the posi unit before ??

What size gear was on the open carrier.

Is your problem the old gear won't fit on the new carrier or the carrier won't fit in the case it's hard to see that last picture very well.

There is a break in gear sizes on the carriers. From a certain size down will fit one carrier and s certain size up will fit another carrier and they will not interchange.

But worse case you should know now what your posi carrier will accept by what it won't accept ( gears off your open carrier) you could just get a new ring and pinion for the posi or sell ( they go fast on here)the posi.

So do you know what size gear was on the posi unit before ??

What size gear was on the open carrier.
The open carrier had the 2.71 gears sir, I don't know what gears came on the sure grip, I wonder what a set of gear, Bolts and pinion will run me in cash I have new bearings,crush sleeve and seal on the pinion in it now..

Is your problem the old gear won't fit on the new carrier or the carrier won't fit in the case it's hard to see that last picture very well.
The sure grip carrier fit right in, but there was no way to set the gears up, they was to fare out to be shimed to match up .

This rear end is/has kicked my @$$ , spent a bundle on bearings and such, now I have to buy new ring gear bolts from some where to put the gear back on the open carrier.... new bearing again !! why is this kicking my butt !!

I guess we need to Find the gear size break ( I don't remember) then we will know what you have because we know what won't fit.

Let me research that some as well. Not sure but if your carrier is on the smaller gear size I have a 2:45 ring and pinion I Just took out of my unit when I switched to 3:45s

You could have them if they would work for you. That's if a 2:45 is even acceptable ratio for your wants/needs.

The sure grip carrier fit right in, but there was no way to set the gears up, they was to fare out to be shimed to match up .

Even the side rings that kind of have threads would not take up the slack.

So the gear fit in the unit but just seems to narrow ?? I misunderstood you I guess cause I thought the ring gear would not fit the carrier at all

Do you have a better picture looking straight down in the reared with the posi carrier sitting in there

This rear end is/has kicked my @$$ , spent a bundle on bearings and such, now I have to buy new ring gear bolts from some where to put the gear back on the open carrier.... new bearing again !! why is this kicking my butt !!

Why new bolts ?? You ruin the other ones.

I guess we need to Find the gear size break ( I don't remember) then we will know what you have because we know what won't fit.

Let me research that some as well. Not sure but if your carrier is on the smaller gear size I have a 2:45 ring and pinion I Just took out of my unit when I switched to 3:45s

You could have them if they would work for you. That's if a 2:45 is even acceptable ratio for your wants/needs.
I wish I would have just put new bearings on the open and been dun with it a month and $200.00 agao... Why don't we know more about these rear ends here, they are plentiful (sorta) and strong for our lite A bodies and hold up to 350 HP easy...

Do you have a better picture looking straight down in the reared with the posi carrier sitting in there
I will look, I may not..

Why new bolts ?? You ruin the other ones.
The bolts have been used going on 4 times now and my tec said I should get new ones.. from what I have read I do need to use new ones, it is not going back together with out them after all this

I fit a newer Dakota carrier in my 1974/8.25 case with just a bearing change. I thought just line you at one point when nothing seemed to be working or coming together.

But there are so many smart ( a lot smarter than me) folks here so it will come together in sure of it.

So if you have(if not try to get one)a better pic of the posi unit sitting in the case without the caps on so we can get a better look/idea on what you got going on in there.

Last edited:
I fit a newer Dakota carrier in my 1974/8.25 case with just a bearing change. I thought just line you at one point when nothing seemed to be working or coming together.

But there are so many smart ( a lot smarter than me) folks here so it will come together in sure of it

So if you have ) if not get one)a better pic of the posi unit sitting in the case without the caps on so we can get a better look/idea on what you got going on in there.
I would get a picture, but the ring gear has been taken off of it, it fit and axles slid right in, the carrier was adjusted all the way to the end of it's adjusting capability.
It was like I needed a thicker ring gear or shimm the ring gear...

Now I have a new sure grip with new bearings I can't use unless I buy a new ring and pinion set I bet... memike don't have the cash for that... need to find new bolts to put my open back together .. what a friggen mess !

I will see about putting the ring gear back on the sure grip and take some pictures.
So for me to get a sure grip I will have to buy a new pinion, and carrier and ring gear set... holy Molly...... $$$$

How thick is the ring gear ?? Did you measure it. Like I said I got 2:45 ring and pinion if they would work you could have then. But shipping cost and they have no bearings on them either.

I have been able in the past to get new bearings back off with out ruining the cages and reuse them.

I bought new bearings/races and seals for my whole rearend and it was not 200$.

What part numbers were they ? Maybe somebody can help with cheaper bearings.

I will see about putting the ring gear back on the sure grip and take some pictures.
So for me to get a sure grip I will have to buy a new pinion, and carrier and ring gear set... holy Molly...... $$$$

just put a bolt or two in just to hold it on there.

I have never dealt with a issue like this so I would like to know if the issue with numerical size down or up ring gears not fitting on certain numerical up or down c arriers is

A-the ring gear wont fit the carrier period
B- they fit but to narrow(not thick enough)to adjust for the proper lashes

im sure if it was B then im people would have found a way to just make a spacer ring and get longer bolts from a thicker ring gear

New bearing was only $9.00 a peace, the pinion bearings was about $30 counting the crush sleeve, then the seals... But I have bout the carrier bearings twice and the sure grip was costly............ I need to move forward and come back to the rearend and get my fire wall and inner fender shot with new gold paint, install my fenderwell super comps and drop the 360 in... I do have my front end dun with new bigger spindels and disk brakes.. lordy ! The things we do for fun ..

-
Back