The 8 1/4 thread

-
just put a bolt or two in just to hold it on there.

I have never dealt with a issue like this so I would like to know if the issue with numerical size down or up ring gears not fitting on certain numerical up or down c arriers is

A-the ring gear wont fit the carrier period
B- they fit but to narrow(not thick enough)to adjust for the proper lashes

im sure if it was B then im people would have found a way to just make a spacer ring and get longer bolts from a thicker ring gear
Yep ! B is the problem in this 73 rear end..

the rear end in my car is a 74 8.25 and i bolted a carrier out of a90s dakota (with just new carrier bearings) but maybe its different than yours cause it a 74

New bearing was only $9.00 a peace, the pinion bearings was about $30 counting the crush sleeve, then the seals... But I have bout the carrier bearings twice and the sure grip was costly............ I need to move forward and come back to the rearend and get my fire wall and inner fender shot with new gold paint, install my fenderwell super comps and drop the 360 in... I do have my front end dun with new bigger spindels and disk brakes.. lordy ! The things we do for fun ..

yup i been through it lol we all have.

I would not give up yet and maybe make a stand alone thread with your issues because maybe many of the differential gurus dont even look in this one or dont get updates to new posts. im sure somebody out there knows what to do

the rear end in my car is a 74 8.25 and i bolted a carrier out of a90s dakota (with just new carrier bearings) but maybe its different than yours cause it a 74

You did not have to change pinion or gears, I need to learn more about this.. and your 74 is just like my 73, I looked at your thread not long ago.. Thank you for all your help and time here !!

You did not have to change pinion or gears, I need to learn more about this.. and your 74 is just like my 73, I looked at your thread not long ago.. Thank you for all your help and time here !!

i had to change carrier bearings because the O/D was bigger but the pinion bearing was the same O/D and I/D but i changed it anyway because all the other bearings/races were new.

If the O/D was bigger how did the caps fit them, was it becouse they was just wider ?

If the O/D was bigger how did the caps fit them, was it because they was just wider ?

because the I/D was the same and I just bought new ones to fit the original 74 open carrier and seeing the I/D was the same they fit the new carrier just fine and fit in the case just fine as well because they were the exact same bearing as the one i took out/off the old carrier just new

Oh, Ok.. I am heading to jegs or some where on line to see where I can buy new ring gear bolts and get them here.. I will go open for awhile it looks likie..

Still no bolts for ring gear on ether Jegs threads , ..

Mike I Have ring gear bolts, a new crush sleave the new carrier bearings od 2.8something I needed the 3.1something in mine.

Holly Molly ! Yea 8 bucks a piece ~!! I think Rateck will be the way to go so far, I will keep looking local and see if I can get some today first.

I better get new bolts, the ones I have has been on and off 4 times counting the very first time .. Thank you.

Mike I Have ring gear bolts, a new crush sleave the new carrier bearings od 2.8something I needed the 3.1something in mine.

Let me check Rock auto out.. Thank you Hops.

I am still lost here mike trying to get that unit into the housing still?

Tell you what screwed me up recently was the different carrier bearing OD's The ID were the same!

it seems as if you have a similar issue. the carrier ratio breaks are 2.45 and down (numerically) and 2.56 and up.

so if your 2.71s wont work with that posi carrier with your ring/pinon then it must be the 2.45 down unit and will never work for you if you want 2.56 and up ratio.

-
Back