The 8 1/4 thread

-
I just read all 8 pages and I now have a headache!
In post #188 IF I understand this right.
There is only one 8 1/4 housing made? And that installing a SG and any set of gears depends on having the correct SG carrier?

There are different housings at least two one is 2.56 (post 1)and up and the pinion is offset and the other is 2.57 and down (post 2)(3.55 say) and the pinion is centered. Each one has a different carrier with the ring mounting area is spaced by how thick the ring gear is.(post 3) I know confusing

2. There were 2 carrier offsets, however. One for 2.45 and higher gears, and one for 2.76 and lower gears. In other words, you can install 3.55 gears in a housing that originally came with a 2.45 ratio, as long as you install the appropriate carrier.
From Dr Diff. You need the offset carrier for the 2.56 and up the regular 2.57 and down carrier (example post 3)

the first two pics are of the carrier/ring and pinion (with 3.55s) that I put in my rear end and the only thing that HAD to be changed was the carrier bearings. this complete set up came out of dodge Dakota pickup.

rg1.jpg

rg2.jpg

this third pic is said carrier/ring and pinion (i bought as a set together)installed in my rear

rg3.jpg

here is a picture of my rear end that came out of a 1974 factory V-8 car and it originally had a open carrier with 2.45s( the ones memike has now in his rear end). His rear end looks just mine so it should be the same deal.

rg4.jpg

rg5.jpg

So if you have a off set housing, it is basically junk for installing 3.21 or 3.55 gears?

i have a offset housing out of a 74 that originally had open carrier with 2.45s and now has the complete carrier/ring and pinion with 3.55s. it all fit in with no issues other than a carrier bearings change

So it seems to me like the solution to putting 3.55 or 3.90 gears in a 8 1/4 is to purchase the package out of a pre 97 27 spline Dakota? I have a housing out of a A-body and want to make sure I get the right stuff? It had 2.45 open carrier in it.

So is there a wrong housing to get? It is hard to tell by your picture, is this a center non offset housing?

@memike has the offset housing and a offset carrier. No Idea how else to explain it. A plain jane 3.55 fro, a jeep will not work here. @memike! Help!

Usually the bottom of the what would be "pumkin" All I am trying to do here is help people not do the same mistake as others.

I understand and I'm not trying to bust your acorns. I've built a bunch of 8 3/4's, Dana 30, 44, 60, 70, 80's. I've built 55-57 Olds, Chevy thirds, Chevy 8.5, 10. 12 bolts Corporate 14 bolt. Ford 8", 9" etc. But these damn 8 1/4's have the most gray area about them than any other rear I have messed with. And I don't like Gray areas! Since these have been out for 46 years, One would think there is absolute knowledge about them!

We really need@memike on this one. It was a pia but we got it figured out.

I've got a 97 Dakota on my lift with the 8 1/4 rear torn apart. I'm going to take a picture of it and post it to compare with this one tomorrow.

The first photo is of the 97 Dakota Dana 35, The second is of a 8 1/4 rear I bought that I couldn't get the correct early carrier to work with 4.10 gears. It originally was a 2.45 open. It looks to me to be a center non offset?

dana 35 97 dakota.jpg

8.25 74 model.jpg

I couldn't find the casting number on the 8 1/4 but it was dark and it is raining out. It does have a large T cast into it.

the more i look i guess my rear is not the off set one.
Yeah I don't know either. I just know my headache is getting worse, not better! I ordered a late model 29 spline Sure grip unit off E-bay to put in the 97 Dakota. Someone had welded the spiders in the open unit that was in there.

No it looks centered. I kind of wish I did not scrap the off centered one.

-
Back