The 8-3/4 is in!

-

PostalBGraham

Reaction score
I finished getting the car ready for the paint shop this past weekend. We took out the engine, tranny, drive shaft, and the 7-1/4 rearend. We got the 8-3/4 put in last night. I have 2.94 sure-grip gears. The rebuilt 340/727 goes in next spring! I can't wait!

Center01 (Small).jpg

Center02 (Small).jpg

hey that looks nice up in there! great job. hey postal what gear ratio were you running before? 2.79? if so i am intrested to know when you get it all hooked back up how much of a difference if any the 2.94 makes. let me know if you will, thanks.:salute:

The gear ratio on the 7 1/4 has us a little baffled. One complete rotation of the axle results in approximately 1.5 rotations of the yoke. Could that possible be correct?

Nothing is hooked up yet. The car is off to the body shop. The body man is going to keep the car over the winter. The target date for the 340/727 is March 1st. That works out well with my finances, as I need time to save up the $$ for the paint job, new radiator, and other needs that will surely arise.

Look on the ring gears side for the ratio is stamped on it.

You could do what I like to do....take a sharpie and make a mark on the ring gear,spin it around and count the number of teeth

Do the same to the pinion gear,then divide the 2 numbers together and that will tell you what ratio you have.

-
Back