The best you tube video ever!!!

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
I love this video, it is awesome. I was born in 1977 but I feel like I was there. Those were the times. I love the car names, check out the shot of "Assassination". If you had a car in today's times named that it would offened everyone and would be banned! This Video is the cooleset ever,
I wish I could have been there!!:drinkers::drinkers::drinkers: It is cool how Dick Landy drives with a cigar, his trademark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnhruLK2468

I am the same I wish I could have been a part of that time. I love the 60/70s.
Those drivers were bada$$'s, you see 90% of them didnt let up when the car got squirrely, you dont see that too much anymore.

Toward the beginning of that video, in the sling shot race, the left lane car smokes the tires atleast 60% of the track and he still wins once his car grabs a$$! SAAWEEEEET!!! Yes def. a great video.

Yes would agree with all you said! I was there back in the day. Winternats in Pomona and Irwindale was in my back yard. My autoshop teached in HS got us 4 day passes to the Winter nats every year.

What a heck of a break from school huh!

And he knew Beck, the Snake and may others. We stayed over night several years on Thurs-Friday.

Just to be 17-19 and having done that was so awesome. The music to of Mr. Fatasy is the best for that time too.

That was back when guys were real hot rodders,(NOT DISSing to days guys though) we had to build Sh$# out of spare parts make stuff etc. You could not just open your wallet spend big bucks etc.. We did not have todays nice stroker kits etc.

I just recall my 64 Dart making low 13s with a 273 was a hell of a ride taching to nearly 8k and smoking the heck out of the tires. Had a buddy with a real hemi 66GTX that ran 11s and another with a TA Chally 340 that dipped into the 11s with a stock bottom end.

Yep those wer cool days alright. Kinda wish I was in my 20s back then instead of teens so I could have done more.

Anyway thanks for the post! Great Sunday wake up... :supz::supz::supz::supz::supz:

Yes....way cool video. The closes I got to that drag racing era was through my older sister's boyfriend hot rod magazines. Those were the days of day dreaming of owing one of those hot mopars and playing with my Hot Wheels replicas. LOL

Does anyone know of any of those stretched out Cuda's and Callenger's. Talk about Nostalgia, Id love to see some of those floating around!

I'm with you Hog - I graduated in '77. I still have photos of alot of these guys I took at Seattle Intl back in the day, and quite a few from Gainesville (Gatornats) after moving down here. It's still a blast 30 years later, but there was a different feel to it back then. I miss it - I was plenty happy and stayed plenty entertained without cell phones, cable T.V., video games, internet or personal computer. Your escape back then wasn't your Playstation - it was events like these - it was almost always outdoor activities - no sittin' on your @$$ all weekend with a stack of DVD's. I'm off track - this is a great video and I'm going to look for more by this guy (while I sit on my @$$, in front of my computer). Maybe it's just me, but I don't think so..........

I agree with everyone above, great video. I was 15 in 1977 and our local track was about an hour walk from our house. Once a year, we'd get the big names in town, and we would spend the whole weekend there for like $20!!

People are still drag racin' every weekend somewhere. Last summer, I took my son to the Oreilly Nationals at Heartland Park in Topeka. We had suite passes that allowed us access to the staging lanes and the pits. He had a blast. He also goes to all the local car shows with me.

This is something we need to pass on to future generations.

Cool video brought back good and bad memories. In 68 after getting my lic I went to the track with my 56 Chev wagon 283/4 speed, got to the final round and was supposed to race the track owner in his Mustang, apparently the furrd broke, go figure, so he pulls up in a snowmobile with wheels replacing the skids. I got out to say what is this?and his light turned green, about 2 minutes later mine turned green, he got my trophy and since that was the only track, his track, in the area I never raced there again. That was my first introduction to politics. Got my revenge when I moved to Portland OR in 69 and raced and beat a 69 Mach I and my bosses 327 Nova. My boss traded the Nova for a 70 Dart 340, couldn't beat that one. In Portland I worked at a detail shop and got to drive all the muscle cars of the era. Took a 427 Vette out behind the shop one night we had a three block newly paved street and came within 10 feet of someones front porch by the time I got her stopped, serious power in that car. Drove Superbirds, Daytonas,Chargers, Darts, Roadrunners, Novas, Chevelles, Vettes, Mustangs,Cobrajets, and many others, had to replace some tires before taking some back to the dealership.
Couldn't ask for a better job in 69-70.

Anyone know the band / song title to the song playing for most of the video?

Anyone know the band / song title to the song playing for most of the video?

That would be the very young Stevie Winwood and Traffic playing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" from 1967.

Funny, I never would have associated Simon & Garfunkel with drag racing if it weren't for this video. Odd choice...

That would be the very young Stevie Winwood and Traffic playing "Dear Mr. Fantasy" from 1967.

Actually, he was almost 20 when he recorded that song. He was only 15 when he recorded the hits "Gimme Some Lovin" and "I'm a Man" with the Spencer Davis Group.

I could barely tie my own shoes at 15!!

Great videos.
I was 20 back then.
I remember the snake , mongoose ,blue max, Sox and Martin, Big daddy Don Garlits, Hawaiian Punch , Landy and there were a lot of mopars :burnout:

Awesome vid, thank you so very much. Times were different back then. It was more about what you could build, not what you could buy. You don't even see that at car shows anymore. Too many posers these days, not enough hotrodders.....

Rev

Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.

Those stretched-looking cars were the earlier funny cars, which came into being after Dick Landy (RIP) invented the altered wheelbase MOPARs in the sixties. The legend is that people would say the altereds looked funny and the name stuck.

I took a great picture of Big Daddy tapping out a head bolt thread in his Hemi between runs. One of the greats.

If it wasn't 11:30pm and I didn't have to wake up tomorrow I would pop in my Funnycar Summer dvd.

I would have loved to been around back then. Lots of ledgends in that vid.

-
Back