The Brick, 1972 Dodge Dart Custom

-
Well, life is funny as it starts to interfere with working on the Brick. Finally got the front sway bar installed. Not sure what I did differently, but the last attempt before shipping it back to Summit ended up with the bar going in successfully.

Other than that - My buddy Joe at the Chandler Audio Express store tinted my windows. I will post the pics here in a bit. Other than that - no work has been done. I am stuck on where to start on the interior, but I guess I had better start by starting. Hopefully, more to post this weekend, as I have a date with Joe's driveway and the Brick!

Not bad for the price I paid - free. Joe was learning to tint so the Brick got done for free since I did not specify the darkness of the tint. If you are in AZ and want your glass tinted, swing by the Chandler Audio Express Tuesday through Friday, and ask for your windows to be tinted by Joe W. and that Mike J sent you :)

IMAG0095.png

IMAG0096.png

Wish I liver in AZ. Then I know where to get a lot of stuff done. The cars looking great.

Wow - can't believe I haven't posted anything here in my thread in over a year.

As a quick update - just had a recent trans rebuild at a local trans shop. 904 is done, sealed up tight - installed a B&M Shift Improver kit, so the trans is nice and crispy shifting now, and also installed a B&M Star Shifter, and removed the column shift lever.

So much nicer to drive now.

Also, finally took a stab at redoing the interior door panel, since I had to fix the window on the drivers side front door. It was as simple as peeling off the old cracked vinyl, cleaning up the boards, rolling out the O'Reilly automotive grade carpeting, cutting a piece to fit, and then gluing it down with 3m Auto adhesive.

I left the armrests off until I can figure the best way to refurbish them.

I had to run off to Subway to grab some sammiches, so I figured I would grab a picture of the updated front interior, or at least as it is now.

interiordoorpanel.jpg

interiorpic.jpg

I promise, the last post on my own thread for the night - got to get some homework done, and start plotting next Sundays madness (thinking finally doing the dash refurb, and setting up the rear deck liner.) Broke as a joke now, so will be doing stuff with what I have on hand.

Part and Cost
Shocks $80.00
Sunpro Guages $80.00
AC/Misc Repairs $600.00 (total waste as everything I paid to have fixed has had to be fixed again - that will show me)
Primer $300.00
Disc Hard Parts $100.00
Rear and Rims $140.00
Front end parts $200.00
Diff Gasket $4.00
Rear brakes $30.00
Leaf Spring Left/Right $232.00
Shackles $42.00
Wheel Lugs $40.00
Driveshaft $170.00
Tires $500.00
Trans Rebuild and install with 36k mile warranty $695
Trans cooler lines $40
Automotic grade roll carpetting and adhesive $50

Free stuff (gifts)
Front Sway Bar Gift
B&M Star Shifter Gift
Mopar Performance Deep Trans Pan Gift
B&M Shift improver kit Gift
Grant Steering wheel, adaptor kit, Mopar Horn Button Gift
Sony Xplode Head Unit Gift
Sony Xplode 600w 4 channel Amp Gift
Sony Xplode 1000w Mono Amp Gift
Sony Xplode 6" speakers Gift
Sony Xplode 6"x9" speakers Gift
Rockford Fosgate 8" subwoofers in a box FREE

Having used up a single years worth of Christmas, Fathers day, and Birthday gifts (2010 and 2011) to rack up all the free stuff - got to love my family. Hopefully, I can rack up the install stuff for the stereo, and some dress up stuff for under the hood for this years Christmas, Fathers day, and Birthday gifts!

$3303 invested, not including car purchase.

So still well within my $5k budget.

nice job on the door panel. i wondered hat happened to your build. you must volunter a lot to get that kind of car free gift karma. NICE

No, I just have a very supportive family that tend to let the gifts pile up to buy me what I need.....LOLS.

This Christmas, hopefully a set of headers and dual exhaust....

Will be using mocking up a lower center console portion tomorrow so I can start building that and getting prepped to install all that stereo equipment.

MDF, then will cover it with carpet, like the door panels. Not really into working with fiberglass, and since the car is already pretty angular, I will stick with it.

There is a custom center console on someones build here that was pretty trick, and mine won't be anything like that - but want to have a place to add the stereo head unit and maybe some 12v accessory plugs, and have them look nice.

Still can't decide if I want to pull the factory AM out or not. I was thinking of making a "Delete" plate, painting it, and then applying some of them shiny new Dart chrome letters on there. Be pretty cool to look at at least.

Or have my buddy cut me a white vinyl "Brick" sticker to apply to the block off plate.
Who knows at this point.

i like your idea... Keep us posted and if you remember the name or thread of the trick console let me know. I want to make my own as well and am open for inspiration.

Found it! - It's Cudaspaz's project thread - and it's right on page 1.

Since I have no plans to do buckets (being a 4 door and all), I am just going to build the part that is under the dash, but plan to bring it out to "meet up" with the floor shifter housing.

Hopefully, if I am not too torched by the heat tomorrow, I will be able to get the basic mock up done.

I'll probably end up doing something similar in the trunk too - not sure what my materials are looking like these days - and trying NOT to spend any money.....lol

Nice to see another 4dr :thumblef:

No doubt - there are quite a few More Door Darts on here. Even a few wagons. Great to have a cool car to work on, and drive, and tote your buddies with you.

I just peaked at your build thread - keep up the good work!

Well, I said screw it to the sun and did a rough out on the console tonight. Took my trusty sharpie, sharp scissors, carboard box, and roll of masking tape out to the Brick, and commenced to rough shaping it in.

Here is what I got - mind you this is rough, but good enough to let me get dimensions off of it, and then maybe do some fab work this weekend.

It took a bunch of trial and error to get the shapes just right. When I cut them, I will cut them a bit bigger so that if needs be, I can sand some off and make the fit really tight.

console+rough.jpg
console+tough+2.jpg

I thought about using one of the under dash stereo mounts, but I didn't think it looked permanent enough. I have my water temp and oil gauges mounted in the dash location for the ashtray, and my tac is on the drivers side pillar.

That is pretty cool though - is it home made or something someone can pick up somewhere?

Also didn't see it as something permanent. It's hand made, REALLY. MDF, hand saw, sand paper, wood glue and a rattle can.

Also didn't see it as something permanent. It's hand made, REALLY. MDF, hand saw, sand paper, wood glue and a rattle can.

Damn, and I spent 30 minutes on google trying to locate one.....LMFAO.

Oh well - looks really nice. Maybe just build a console around it :-k.......

You can have it if you want, I'm not using it anymore. Working on making some panels out of lexan, well see how that goes.

The console will be built some time this weekend - hoping for before or during this weekend, But thanks for the offer. :toothy8:

thanks for the link... Looking great. Loving the mock up. What color interior... you staying tan?

SDAHMER yours is pretty badass too.

-
Back