The Corvette with maybe a Viper to follow?

-

1970Duster

Reaction score
I know people either like or hate the corvette, to each their own, I make no judgement. However, I've been follow the lastest info on it to which include the C8 (even though the C7 is just two years old). From what I've read, and to which you should take note of even if you don't like the vette, that a mid-engine corvette is the next move and will be the C8. So for 60+ years the vette has been a front engine car and now to switch. So an improvement or regression? What do you guys think?

You're probably asking what does this mean/have to do with the Viper? Well I've also been reading (rumors) that Viper is also not to me out done and would switch as well. This is where the advantage to the Viper comes into play (at least I think so). Fiat has been build mid-engine cars for years (Ferarri) and you see what they can do. So here's the question, do you guy the Viper will switch to a Mid-engine car (to not be outdone by the vette) and do you think that North America is ready for a mid-engine Viper/Corvette?
I am really courious what you guys have to say about this. I personally think that would interesting change for the good, but it all depends on the price (like everything else).

I dont think viper would change as a mid engine viper would compete directly with fiats lineup.
They would likely scrap the viper nameplate before they made it mid engine. Likely import more exotics to knock the vette back into position and viper would still keep its fastest north american front engine

Unless I hit the lottery I seriously doubt I will ever own either a Corvete or Viper, at least I can say I got behind the wheel and drove a new Viper GTS (First year GTS model) with 260 miles on the clock, all the owner said was "Please don't spin the engine past 5500", Going down the guy's winding driveway you can see where he liked powering into the turns with telltale black stripes at the bends. Damn that was a fun ride, didn't spin it past 5K the whole time, let the torque move me down the road, and boy did it!

Unless I hit the lottery I seriously doubt I will ever own either a Corvete or Viper, at least I can say I got behind the wheel and drove a new Viper GTS (First year GTS model) with 260 miles on the clock, all the owner said was "Please don't spin the engine past 5500", Going down the guy's winding driveway you can see where he liked powering into the turns with telltale black stripes at the bends. Damn that was a fun ride, didn't spin it past 5K the whole time, let the torque move me down the road, and boy did it!

I couldn`t get in and outa a viper, can`t imagine driving one, made for little people.

I don't see the current Viper being modified to a mid engine. The Vette could possibly do it.
Is America ready for a mid engine sports car?
Been ready, were lagging behind. It should have been done a long time ago. While these are American icon cars, in Europe, you basically apologize for it. Both cars are substandard in what the manufactures push them to be.

Yes they have brutal power, but that's it.

I would be all for it. The only thing I would be concerned about is the under steer. If dodge and chevy could figure out how to make it properly handle it would be amazing. Heck ford did it with the gt40 and that impressed Jeremy clarkson enough to buy one which says ALOT. By the way bring that old man back into top gear!

So do you guy think a mid engine corvette or viper could be a success?

I hear you about them ditching the viper name plate but then they would have nothing to compete it the corvette within its price range, so that's why I could see them doing it.

Yeah I remember when Ford released the GT (2005) but a lot of people didn't know what inspired the car/it's history so they were skeptical of it. With the Corvette, people know the name/car even without history of it, everybody knows of it so I could see being a bigger success.

-
Back