The effects of Vibration on Nuts, Bolts, and Washers.

-

Arron tate

T B L
Reaction score
Hello All,
While doing some research on washers and there applications I came across this YouTube Video.
Some interesting stuff.

Happy Mopar:)
Arron.

I am a little surprised that ny-locks worked better than split lock washers. Looks like the Nord-locks are the way to go.

Great! Good product for the "mechanical industry," especially in the world of automotive maintenance, but would never (at the moment) go in the Aviation Industry. The washer causes damage to the surface of what is being fastened. Especially material like 7075 T-6 Aluminum. The stress risers caused by the washer and subjection to Hi-frequency vibrations, become "crack prone areas." IMHO. Still a good solution to vibration.

I recently spec'd those through work, and I'll vouch: Worth every penny.

That said, DO NOT use them in something you pull down frequently. They WILL chew up the surface you're using them on, especially if aluminum.

That’s awesome and always wondered how they work since I’ve used those type of washers before working on a gas or steam turbine as a Millwright.

If you find a fastener coming loose more than once it needs attention. When a nut, bolt,clip, structure,assembly is vibrated at or through its resonant frequency or natural frequency the stress can become extreme. Look at examples of bridge
failures.

Tad pricey as one would think 3/8 zinc nords at Amazon are $.75 a piece.
A hundred sets of them can be some serious green. I believe a grade C automation lock nut has a 5 removal torque spec to meet at manufacture. I think a grade B is 3 removals. I didn't see mechanical lock nuts in the video though. Curious how they might fair.

upload_2019-9-12_12-54-35.png

Only place on a car I could think of is maybe header collectors? I don’t know, neat video though.

-
Back