The first time I've been afraid to rebuild a carburetor

-

TylerW

Reaction score
Well....the original, unrebuilt Holley 1920 on my '73 Plymouth is beginning to seep out of the accelerator pump vent. Not bad yet, but of course, I don't want it to *get* bad.

So, it has to be opened up. The only bad part is that it currently works perfectly, or as perfectly as a 1920 works. I feel like I'm going to tempt fate by breaking that thing open...sort of like a Pandora's box.

That's the first 1920 I've ever seen that's been on an engine long enough to have a half-inch of grime covering it. Still has the single-use clamp on the bowl vent tube.

Pay attention to the float level when you take it apart and make sure it's set the same when you but it back together.Those aren't that tough.

See if you can determine how much play is in the throttle bore.

Gas seeping out is often fuel boiling / vapor lock, maybe high fuel pressure. It actually might not be a carb problem per se. A base insulator might help

Pump leaks are notorious on Holley carbs. Get real fine sandpaper, lay it on a flat table, take the pump cover and LIGHTLY sand it in one direction until all four corners clean up. MAKING SURE you keep the pump arm from touching the sandpaper. They won't leak again (fresh gasket of course). Definitely rebuild. Gas leaking on a hot engine is NEVER good. You don't want to watch your baby burn down.

-
Back