The fix for loose (RAM) mirrors!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
!!!MAN!!! it's warm today!!! But I did get the driver's side mirror done on the "neu" 97 RAM. Both mirrors fold in at about 50 mph AND THERE IS NO external adjustment. THANKS!!! for NOTHING!!!! Fiat!!!! So here's the fix

Top photo: Book says remove the inner panel, but I was able to remove the top screw and just bend it out enough, to get a ratchet and 10mm in there and remove the three nuts

Second photo: you COULD tighten them AFTER you remove the mirror and AFTER you remove three more screws from the rear to get the outer trim cover off!!! But these seemed about ready to strip and or bottomed out. THANKS!!! CHRYSLER!!!!

Third photo: doesn't show much. Ground some webbing out to access the bolt holes and then drilled through the bottoms with a tap drill for a 12-24 tap

Fourth photo: After drilling through the holes, remounted the outer trim and drilled back out through the outer trim in the top front hole. This will be reamed for screwdriver access

Fifth photo: Just run a 12-24 tap all the way through the holes

Sixth and Seventh photo: Test fitting the thing with new screws. Just have to trim to length

Eighth and Ninth photo: Trimming screws to length and test fitting

Tenth photo: Tightened both bottom screws down fairly tight, as well as the top right. The top left through the hole then becomes tension adjustment.

WHY CHRYSLER!!!! COULD YOU NOT HAVE DONE THIS?????

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 121
  • 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 144
  • 4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 5.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 6.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 7.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 134
  • 8.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 9.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 10.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 133
nice idea, but,the thanks fiat thing on a 97 ram ??? fiat got chrysler only a few years ago, and i think the germans were juat starting their rape and pillage of chrysler back in 1997.

Never had either of the exterior mirrors come loose on my '95 Ram 2500. But did have one fall off!
We were driving home to SoCal after a weekend up in the Bay area picking up our new Rhodesian Ridgeback rescue and the fool mirror just fell off. I ended up putting some power extension mirrors on so we could travel easier towing our 5th wheel (we didn't have the 5th wheel in tow at the time the old mirror decided to stay in NorCal).
It was fun driving all the way home without an exterior mirror on the driver side.

-
Back