The Good!! The Bad!! And The Ugly!!!!!

-

BobbyY

Old Mopar guy
Reaction score
The Good!! The Bad!! And The Ugly!!!!! Or have you lost your mind, what the H#** were you thinking, at least that is what my wife thinks.
Well I have officially taken the plunge into a “Muscle Car Build”. As a 20 year old I bought my first new car, a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4 speed. It was Blue with a while vinyl top and white bumble-bee stripe. That was very likely my first true love. Here I am 45 years later, older and wiser (my wife doesn’t see it that way), and ready to jump in head first. This will be my first attempt at anything like this. With that said I decided to spend a little more up front to not have to deal with a lot of rust, I also wanted to start out with a car that would at least run and be capable driving on and off of a trailer. That kind of insured me of getting most of the big parts. Now I’m starting to get picky so that really starts narrowing down the field. I didn’t find my 69 Swinger but I did find a 67 Dart 270 V8 car. So here we go.

The Good
This is a Northern California car and about as rust free as one could ever hope to find. Some minor surface rust in the spare tire well and passenger floor pan. A little soap, water and White Vinager with a stiff brush should take care of that.
Fresh 360 engine with; hypereutectic pistons, Comp Cams Hi-Lift series 275HL hydraulic flat tappet cam, Edelbrock # 60779 Performer RPM heads, Elderbrock # 7176 Performer RPM intake, Holley 600cfm 4150-series Double Pumper carb', Hooker 1 3/4" Super Comp series headers .
A727 TorqueFlyte, 3000RPM stall converter with the matching flexplate, Hurst Quarter Stick shifter.
Front Disk Brakes.
8 3/4" Mopar rear-end housing with 741 differential (whatever that is) 3.91 gears with Dutchman Axles.
NEW IN THE BOX John Calvert Racing components rear suspension with split mono leaf springs (whatever that means) Calvert calibrated shocks front and rear, and CalTracs traction bars.
The car came with front and rear bench seats, also with a set of 67 GT low back buckets with the GT center console.

The Bad
Cracked windshield will see if it can be repaired, no windshield trim.
No door sill plates.
No rear deck.
Missing front hood chrome trim piece (headlight trim and other grill trim is there)
The car has a decent 25 foot pain job. Once you get inside that you see they didn’t do things like fixing door ding dents, removing all of the trim, removing front and back windows, or spraying inside the door jambs. It looks like the original color was a light blue so it was painted with a medium metallic blue. I guess they thought the color was close enough. In all fairness it wasn’t sold as excellent paint, only okay.

The Ugly
Finishing someone else’s project and not knowing all of their ideas.
Unfinished TUB job. I don’t like the way the part of it that is done looks and will most likely re-do-it. If I had the old fender wells I would most likely weld them back in.

Next Steps
I have decent mechanical skills and have always done a lot of work with my hands, so I’m not a stranger to getting dirty. I also know how to measure once and cut twice, or is that measure twice and cut once. I can never keep that straight. I do know that no matter how many times I cut on something it is still too short. Oh well such is life.
I wish I were smart enough to know and understand everything that needed doing and just do it, but I think I’ll get me a white board and start a list of things and kind of prioritize them.
First thing on my agenda is getting the vehicle to the mechanical point where I can get the Texas vehicle inspection done. I would like to be able to drive it around a little while I’m doing the majority of the work. That will also let me know if there are any nasty unexpected surprises.
I’m sure the updates will not happen quickly as I am still in the ranks of the gainfully employed and spend around 150-200 nights a year in hotel rooms. Working on this will not relieve me of family duties, I’m hoping for 6-8 hours a week of working time.

All for now.

Attachments

• SAM_1652.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_4462.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 657
  • IMG_4464.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 653
  • IMG_4469.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_4470.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 628
  • IMG_4474.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_4467.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 649
It looks like a damn nice place to start. You will hear from alot of members of some real horror stories. Good luck with you build!!

Hmmmmm......pretty cool project for sure. Yup, rust sucks big time. Hopefully it'll come together at a fairly rapid rate. I've learned that months and years of not being able to enjoy cruising my project car is a bummer. Hope you can hit it hard and git it down the road quickly.

Sent you a PM requesting an e-mail address.

If you are looking for wheelhouses, I may have some from a Dart. Have to look in the stash of parts.

Yeah, that tub job is messed up. Definitely best to remove them and start over.

Looks like a really good starting point-I'll be watching this one too!

I might have to check out that powerpoint-is it on a sticky or his profile?

Looks like a good starting point---not uncommon for a S/W car. I'm thinking you could find replacement stock tubs, slit them & mini-tub it, if that's what you want, & it would alleviate some of the headaches squaring away what you got. Never heard of "Dutchman" axles, but if you're not looking at building a killer engine, I wouldn't worry about it. The floorpan issue can be cured with replacement pieces if necessary. The one thing I would do (& it's a quirk of mine) is add frame connectors to the car no matter what your plans are with it. How you install them is up to you, but IMO, dealing with 40+ year old cars & todays technology in engine building means you're producing more HP than the engineers back then ever dreamed of, so why build a car that'll shake itself loose right from the start?
It looks like a great alot of fun, enjoy!

Hemicop, I'm sure not adverted to adding frame connectors, just not sure what they are and how to do it, but I'm sure I can find lots of advice here. Also here is all I know about Dutchman axles. http://www.dutchmanaxles.com/ .

Cracked back, if you don't mind take a look and let me know what you might want for the wheelhouses.

txstang84, That is about all the information I have on the engine build. The builder is claiming 420 hp 340 ft lbs. With that said I have seen no numbers off of a dyno so for me it is what it is. It does sound awesome and the throttle response is instantaneous, but I have no plans to race it. I'm going to take it down and have some Magnaflows put on in and ran all the way to the back. Also think I'm going to 15 inch wheels, 17's and low profile tires just don't look right. Unsure about tire sizes and set backs on the rims but I will need to do something soon. Tires and exhaust is all that is standing in the way of getting it inspected and street legal.

Thanks everyone.

Frame connectors basically tie the front &rear subframes together., essentially giving you a full &therefore more rigid car. Some shops simply use 2x3 square mild steel, insert them into the end of the subframes & weld them. Others will notch them accordingly then weld them. The problem with that (IMO) is that you're decreasing ground clearence along with not necessisarily reinforcing the floorpan itself which is what the subframes are mounted to from the factory.
The best way to add the connectors is to slit the floorpan, put the tubing in 2-3ins inside the subframes then weld the connectors to the subframe & along the floorpan so they are now an integral part of the floor. Once that's done you can weld 2 braces from the frame connectors to the the rocker panels fro additional strength giving you a solid foundation for any chassis mods. Some guys do it at both end of the connectors, but what's important is that they be done where your main hoop for the rollbar is going to go. Some guys will go even further, welding a similiar brace inboard to a 6"x6"x 1/4in plate contoured & welded to the driveshaft tunnel.
Look around here, you'll find pics of how it's done. I think "Inkjunkie" has posted some pics of his car.

Rob/Crack backed,makes it simple. Sold parts,to him. The guy,mindblowing.He knows,his sh#t....

Well things have been quite for the last couple of weeks but then that was by design. The absolute first thing on my agenda was to get the vehicle inspection done. Not sure about other states but in Texas when a car comes in from out of state not only does it have to have a state safety inspection, it also has to have a certified VIN inspection. I know a person that bought a project and proceeded to start dumping money into the car over a almost two year period before attempting to get the inspections done. Turned out to be some issues with his VIN not matching one on the frame. It started out looking like they were going to impound the car. All of this and he had a clear out of state title. Several hundred dollars in legal fees and a certified notarized letter from the owner and DMV of the state it shipped in from and he was back on track. I did not want to go through that. So last week I installed an exhaust system, a couple of used tires, put a horn and horn ring in, got the blinkers working and new windshield wipers. Today it got it's inspections. Tomorrow a trip to the County tax office with my inspections in hand along with my conditional title and I will have my licenses plates. No photos because the work done has nothing to show except me smiling. The next major hurdle I will tackle is the tubs. I think I will purchase a set from JEGS, just unsure which ones to get. Here are links to two styles, the first ones look like what I'm going to cut out, I don't have a clue what I'm looking at on the second set although the guy at JEGS seemed to think they might be better. Any comments appreciated on those two styles.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/40525/10002/-1
http://www.jegs.com/i/Competition+Engineering/247/3006/10002/-1

Bobby

WOW...nice piece to start with. It is gonna make a great hot rod.

in Texas when a car comes in from out of state not only does it have to have a state safety inspection, it also has to have a certified VIN inspection.

Are you telling me that your state law is so AFU that you cannot inspect the VIN and just get a title, THEN build the car? You people need to march down to Austin and raise some hell.

Yes. When the car came in I had a clear California title in hand and I expected to go to the Tax office and do a title transfer. They issued a conditional title, pending a VIN search. The VIN search is conducted by either a Law enforcement agency or a authorized vehicle inspection station when done at the same time as the Vehicle safety inspection.

67 Grill???
Quick update. Things been real slow due to work, been out of state for 6 of the past 7 weeks. The good news is thanks to form member MOPARPARTS (Big Thank you Don) I got left and right inner and outer wheel housings. I took last week off removed the old crap left from the previous owner just cutting the wheel housing out. I split the tub according a power-point sent to me from Crackedback (Big Thank you Rob and also whoever did the power-point), fit the outer housings, widened them by three inches and welded the inner housings. Had to build a lot of patch panels where he cut out trunk pan further back than just the housings. The housings and patch panels are in place and welded down. Still have some grinding and smoothing to do before I call it good. On a BBQ form I frequent we have a saying, “If there aint no pictures it didn’t happen”. Well I’ll post pictures of the tubs after I get finished with the metal fabrication work. I still have to figure out what to do with the trunk torsion rod hanger he cut off of one side, and find the torsion rod U shaped hanger that goes on the trunk hinge. I may have to fabricate that also.

Still slow going, I am having the same local inspirations you are referring to. With that said, I have finished up in the trunk just need to pretty it up. I also bought a new K member from Hemi Denny, what a nice piece of work that is. I forgot to order it powder coated, so I had to disassemble it and take it to a local shop. They also did a awesome job. I am now at the point where I need to pull the engine. Problem with that is I am unsure of the color I want the car to end up as and while the engine is out I would like to shoot the engine compartment. So that was a good excuse to stop. I also need to make a serious commitment as to what I want to do with the rear end.

LRSD, Do you ever go out to Cabelas and hang with the Hot Rods.

Bobby

-
Back