The green Scamp is feeling blue...

-

7milesout

Reaction score
Some of you may have read, I was in the process of replacing my gas tank. Get the new gas tank, it has no o-ring. Find an o-ring and get it on it's way. O-ring shows up on Saturday, I put it all back together Sunday. Took the car and gassed it up.

Brought the car home and cleaned it all up, it was very dusty from sitting around. Drove around town some, the car was looking good and running very good. Put the car back in the garage. Last night I checked the weather and it is supposed to be no rain all day. So I thought I would take the ole Scamp to work today.

Except a blue spray paint can exploded in the garage and sent blue paint all over the rear of the Scamp. It's pretty bad. Not the worst possible, but bad enough. I thought about driving it anyway, but decided the sun might bake the blue paint and make it harder to remove.

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to remove perhaps thousands of blue paint splatters?

7milesout

most spray paint wont stick well to a waxed surface. I would try gasoline first. or WD-40. after that whatever "thinner" you have in the house. try that on a "hidden area" first.

Try using a clay bar. It is very important to ensure that the car, or at least the affected area has been washed first to ensure that the surface is thoroughly clean. You must also ensure that you use plenty of detailing spray or soap and water to allow the clay to glide freely over the surface and prevent it from inflicting any damage.

When claying, you should be able to feel the clay drag a little when you move it across an affected area, this is where you should gently but consistently work back and fourth over the area until the over spray is removed. The clay should be folded and re moulded to reveal a fresh contaminant free surface before moving onto a new section. Once clayed, the area should be rewashed or re rinsed and dried to remove any residue. You should then polish the area with a suitable product to ensure that it is restored back to a high standard

I guess it mostly depends on what kind of paint is on the car, and what kind of paint the spray paint was. Different solvents will harm, or not harm, the car's finish. But I think the safest way to remove the paint would be to buff it off with some fine compound. Not sure if the "clay" mentioned above will be aggressive enough, but maybe. That paint really ought to come off easily, since it probably hasn't totally cured yet.

I've been texting with my buddy who manages a paint shop locally. He said it was a good idea to not expose it to the sun. Which I decided not to do this morning. He said to use thinner, and to rinse it during, and wash it after.

I've always had good look with WD40. When I get nasty arms from grease from working on the car, I'll even spray WD40 on my skin and the grease comes right off. Then I of course wash off the WD40.

My question now is: Which is easier on the clear coat? WD40? Or paint thinner?

7milesout

My question now is: Which is easier on the clear coat? WD40? Or paint thinner?

7milesout

WD, and if that doesn't do it use mineral spirits.
Test a spot first obviously, but mineral spirits is very gentle and shouldn't dissolve paint that has hardener in it, but it does cut spray can paint.
I used single stage acrylic enamel when I painted my car and a wipe down with the mineral spirits won't touch it.

Lacquer thinner takes most spray paints off fairly easy, but test first. I've never had a problem with it on factory faint, but don't know if OK on repaint.
I would try alchohol first...

Lacquer thinner takes most spray paints off fairly easy, but test first. I've never had a problem with it on factory faint, but don't know if OK on repaint.
I would try alchohol first...

I agree w/ trailbeast. Under no circumstances use laquer thinner . I `ve used laquer thinner that will eat up about any paint !

-
Back