The Little Red Wagon

-

Bill "Maverick"

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Here I will talk to my fans about my wheelstander. Ask me anything and I will try my best to post you a resopnse. I love talking with my fans. Feel free to go to my myspace page. Just search myspace for the Little Red Wagon to find it. Hope to haer from you all soon!

Bill "Maverick" Golden

I have a bunch of questions, but I'll do one at a time.
Was the braking system for steering hooked into the steering column, or was it seperate hand controls?

Hey Bill! I have seen you run the Little Red at the Mopar Nationals and I still have goosebumps! Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you get married on the 1/4 mi race track by your truck? I video taped your runs but can't remember the wedding, if it was you I know I have it on tape somewhere! Great to have you join the site, you are a true legend!! :notworth: Was it true that the wheel stander part was a mistake, it was intended to be a 1/4 mile superstock truck? Wanna race my 1966 Valiant for pinks? Just kidding!! :-D

i have never seen you in person but i have seen the truck(may have been a clone) at goodguys i think. you are a legend. i have known about you since i was a kid and thought that truck was the coolest thing since sliced bread! i will go check out your myspace page. thanks for joining fabo and talking to us.

Bill "Maverick";229201 said:
Here I will talk to my fans about my wheelstander. Ask me anything and I will try my best to post you a resopnse. I love talking with my fans. Feel free to go to my myspace page. Just search myspace for the Little Red Wagon to find it. Hope to haer from you all soon!

Bill "Maverick" Golden

Bill, I have a feeling you are going to be very busy on the computer....lot's of fans here! I have an original "Little Red Wagon" model kit from the mid sixties, Cool stuff! Will there be any match races between you and Bob Riggle?

First Question, How did I get involved? Well I was doing well with my SS car at the time. I was beating racers like Sox and Martin, The Farmer Beswick and so on and so on. So Dodge had a Idea to build a SS truck. They asked me if I wanted to drive it. At first I would not do it. But Dodge kept on me about it. Finally I said ok I will do it. The truck was loaded with horse power. Dodge put the motor in the bed with the idea this would give the truck more traction. So I got in hit the throttle and on the bumper it went. Scared the S*** out of me. So we tried to tame the truck but it still would do a wheelie. So I said lets try to make this thing do a wheelie down the track. Dodge gave me the ok to try it. So I had to come up with a idea to steer this beast. Here comes your awnser tou you braking Question. I came up with a braking system for the truck. It was like you would use on your bike. One lever for the right brake and the other for the left. To seperate brakes. I jumped in the truck for a test and low and behold it worked. The rest became history.

Yes I did get married at the Mopar Nationals. I have pics on my myspace page.

No more match races between us. I am retired and sold the Little Red wagon to a museum. I have hung up my fire suit.

Had anybody else driven the truck to test it, before you drove it.
Or were you the gunnie pig, and the first to actually drive it down the track?
Just wondering if someone slse new it would do this and didn't tell you before you dropped the hammer on it.

I was the lab rat on the deal. My nephew was going to run it for a while but got sent to Iraq. So we decided to sell it and the Little Red Wagon in Garlits museum.

How fast did the truck run in the 1/4 ?
Told you I was full of questions.

Aren't you glad Dodge kept on you?

How many Trucks were built in all?

It would go 120mph on the rear wheels in high 11's. Yes I am glad the truck made me and Dodge quite rich.

First off !! thanks for taking your time to talk with us here at FABO!!
I have seen you all over the states I was a migrant worker as a child and
moved around allot.I remember watching you in Ill when big daddy and Shirley Modouny " how ever you spell here name" where racing against each other.
I talked to Don Garlits last year in Memphis Tn. His hearing is getting worse
but still doing some gas runs, I use to mowe his yard in Fla.
I have meat you before at a mec shop station in north east Arkansas a few years back. It was a plesure.
I will check out your myspace, How is your nephew doing?
Give him a big thanks for his support.:salute:

Wow this is so cool.:blob::toothy4:

I remember the Lil` Red Wagon from Suffolk Raceway in Va.. You and the Hemi Under Glass would go down the 1/4 shooting sparks from the skids. That was always one of the highlights of going. I was bracket racing at the time and it was always special when the "big boys" would come to town. It`s great to have you on the site. Welcome!

Hello Bill. Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and it was a pleasure talking to you and your wife. Be it shop talk (MoPars), that last movie seen or what was burning on the grill that afternoon.

Hpoe to see you at a meet again one day.

Welcome to the forum Bill and thanks for sharing. I never got to see you in person, but remember the pics in the magazines when I was a kid. Brings back memories of a simpler time.

Welcome. I remember seeing you at Carlisle. I still remember you doing a little wheel stand on the fair grounds. I always loved that truck.

Fred B

What was the front/rear weight of the truck.
Just wondering what the % was. and how much power was required to pull and carry the front tires.

-
Back