The mack truck

-
Not a Mack, an explanation, go to 16:00

From that video, the cab width and overall size isn't as massive as I thought it would be.

From that camera view it looks like the size of a modern F250. I was thinking there would be a bench seat in there about 10 feet wide or if buckets, about 6 feet between them.

I agree. I always wanted to get a single axle truck and sling a bed on the back.
The old ones are really and simple but my favorite looking one is from the mid to late 90s with the rectangle headlights. I saw one like this about 10 years on the road paving crew

maxresdefault.jpg

H8086.jpeg

I like the old ones

If you are unaware, they have two gearboxes, one behind the other. Basically you go through the gears in the "main" then shift the auxiliary up a gear, then start all over in the main. "Sort of." Because there are certain combinations of the two gearboxes that cause overlap, that is nearly equal ratios with some other combination of the two, some combos are skipped. 3x4, 4x5 gearbox, etc

Drove a 65 gold bulldog, 300 plus 5X4 two sticker yup a front to back Mack. Thing had about a gazillion miles, but pulled hard drove well and shook the teeth right out of your head. I remember standing on the thing in soft not loose or slippery dirt. It was pulling so hard you could count the cylinders firing. Then it learched stalled and started running backwards. So I shut it off refired everything good except air cleaner full of soot. When you’d load those old girls with the machanical rack they’d blow black curly Q’s out of the stack. Ah fond memories

Post 28- is the same cab as most of those above, with a more modern nose.

They did change the cab IIRC late 90's or early 00's and IIRC are still using it.

No more offsets, either.

There is a Mack/Volvo service center about 3 miles from my house.
I see small fleets of cab and chassis, tractors, cement mixers and dump trucks there all the time, most brand spankin' new.

Also for a LONG time, there was a conglomeration of local and long distance trucking companies (about 4-5 different companies operating under roughly the same management) that I passed on my way to my wife's house before we got married.
I'd also see their trucks all over the place.
Despite the ownership and the lettering that was on them, they were all white late 90's mack with a tandem stripe in red/blue..

...except one day I drove by their yard and in the sea of about 50 of those nearly identical tractors, sticking out like a sore thumb was ONE purple one.

Same model, same options. All parked in perfect formation. 49 white with red and blue stripe, ONE purple.

I wish I had a picture of that.

Also for a LONG time, there was a conglomeration of local and long distance trucking companies (about 4-5 different companies operating under roughly the same management) that I passed on my way to my wife's house before we got married.
I'd also see their trucks all over the place.
Despite the ownership and the lettering that was on them, they were all white late 90's mack with a tandem stripe in red/blue..

...except one day I drove by their yard and in the sea of about 50 of those nearly identical tractors, sticking out like a sore thumb was ONE purple one.

Same model, same options. All parked in perfect formation. 49 white with red and blue stripe, ONE purple.

I wish I had a picture of that.
Around here 99% of those old Mack’s were red the odd white one but no other colour, still see the odd one pulling a hay wagon around lol

A few years ago I happened to pick up a truck service magazine and read that 80% of all trash trucks "wear the Mack bulldog".

That's an impressive market share number.

Last edited:
A few years ago I happened to pick up a truck service magazine and read the 80% of all trash trucks "wear the Mack bulldog".

That's an impressive market share number.
Only one reason bullet proof and parts are everywhere

The county contract holder until last year was republic and they were 95% mack.

They got paid off not to bid again.

The new company is mostly peterbuilt.

A fellow truck driver told me he saw a man with three arms. He was driving a Mack and waved. I drove a quad axel Mack Log truck with a 565 hp Cummins for about 10 years.

Nobody mentioned the walking beam rubber block suspension guess it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Lmao

_nc_ohc=y2jcLRdkGHMAX82pZoQ&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

drove many many macks, and bout errything else that pulls fright down the highway and a mack the most uncomfortable as ive ever drove!! i prefer a old skool kenworth or peterbilt...
_nc_ohc=NiuRbAD4EsoAX92qOtw&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg

soon as i finish fixing this 359 i hope to put it to work!

What's different about the hood in 14 and the ones in 1 and 5?

Most of the aggregates hauled into my ready mix plant on the 2 Freeway in Glendale were hauled by owner operators. One day a shiny Bull Dog Mack brings me a load similar to this
th?id=OIP.jpg
first time I had seen it at the plant. Another of my drivers was giving me his ticket and says "That truck is the fastest truck in the LA Basin. Pass anything but a gas station." "Gas?" I says. "Yup, 672 inches of it."

There's a guy around the corner from me that has whet looks like a racing set up on a truck tractor.

Used to be under a car port but they just built a garage.

I wish I could remember what it was.

I do remember it was white with a red frame, low to the ground, and always very clean.

The only difference I can see in the hood is that the driver's side had to be trimmed at the rear of the wheel arch because the cab is now there.

Still seems like a lot of work to move a cab and all the associated mounts and linkages, etc.....for what gain?

The only difference I can see in the hood is that the driver's side had to be trimmed at the rear of the wheel arch because the cab is now there.

Still seems like a lot of work to move a cab and all the associated mounts and linkages, etc.....for what gain?
by doing that there able to move the engine back farther in to the cab and not lose any driver leg room witch a mack already have leg room issues, that gets them a shorter bumper to back of cab distance, no leg room why i cant stand them med evil torture devices!!

by doing that there able to move the engine back farther in to the cab and not lose any driver leg room witch a mack already have leg room issues, that gets them a shorter bumper to back of cab distance, no leg room why i cant stand them med evil torture devices!!
I of thought it was to get the driver closer to the left side so he could hang his head out to back up because he couldn’t use the mirrors lol

-
Back