The official FABO machinist/member collaboration, busted 340 thread

-

replicaracer43

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
So this thread will be about a FABO member who bought a previously rebuilt 340, had numerous issues, and the guy who is going to help him out, because we all need help sometimes.

The engine belongs to FABO member, @Confusedcuda, we received the engine at the shop today, and took a really quick peek at it, pulling the top end off right at quitting time just to get a feel for what we have. Not looking very inspiring so far for a "recently" rebuilt engine. I'm not gonna pass judgment on the previous builder, I'm just gonna lay out what I see.

Fresh off the freight truck.

20220909_171315.jpg

Pulling the valve covers revealed quite a bit of rust/corrosion, most likely from sitting after being cleaned. Tons of rust and scale all in the heads.

20220909_173141.jpg

Rocker shafts look very worn, rockers are a suspect bunch of sorta mismatched bunch

But the first sign of real concern, is the oil literally looks like a mix of motor oil and valve grinding compound. And it doesn't get any better once the heads come off.

The cylinders look absolutely HORRIFIC, dunno what the hell happened here, but it really looks like someone took a rusty worn block, rough honed the crap out of it and threw some pistons in it...cant say I have ever seen such a mess of a cylinder wall. All 8 cylinders look equally hacked, with copious amounts of scoring on the thrust side, thanks to the aforementioned gritty oil.

20220909_180503.jpg

The cylinders look absolutely HORRIFIC, dunno what the hell happened here, but it really looks like someone took a rusty worn block, rough honed the crap out of it and threw some pistons in it...cant say I have ever seen such a mess of a cylinder wall. All 8 cylinders look equally hacked, with copious amounts of scoring on the thrust side, thanks to the aforementioned gritty oil.

View attachment 1715983152
Wow, that's a bum deal.

That's why I'm volunteering to help the guy out, everyone needs a helping hand once in a while.
Very commendable of you to do that. Too bad the 340 got hacked. They don't make them any more. It can be fixed though. I have faith.

Wow, very nice to help out....I’d be pretty bummed about that engine if it were mine

Very commendable of you to do that. Too bad the 340 got hacked. They don't make them any more. It can be fixed though. I have faith.
Good thing is its currently at only .030 over so hopefully I can straighten it out by plate honing to .040, but gotta tear it the rest of the way down and measure everything

Before passing judgement, ALL the evidence needs to be presented.

And it would be nice of the defendent could have a chance to refute the findings.

Otherwise we are all doing what YouTube cop "beatings" videos do... rush to judgement and make assumptions.

Before passing judgement, ALL the evidence needs to be presented.

And it would be nice of the defendent could have a chance to refute the findings.

Otherwise we are all doing what YouTube cop "beatings" videos do... rush to judgement and make assumptions.
That's not what this thread is about, we are past whoever built it or sold it, we are just gonna fix it right this time

So after all this energy over what should be a true “buyer beware” who is the seller?

Prevent someone else from being “horn swaggled” as well. Unless your not telling the whole story. People who mis represent stuff are considered con artist.
I personally have no idea who built it or sold it. I'm just helping a guy out

If someone pulls the wool over the eyes of another member in such an underhanded manner they should be outed
But do we know that is what happened. From the evidence so far that is what it seems like BUT... we do not know the whole story so we should ALL keep our torches and pitchforks down till we know all the info.

But do we know that is what happened. From the evidence so far that is what it seems like BUT... we do not know the whole story so we should ALL keep our torches and pitchforks down till we know all the info.

Well, I agree. At this point, we don't know if the seller knew what was inside the motor. Might have had someone rebuild it for him and he assumed it was good.

Few years back, I bought a 383 stroker (440 crank, 4.29 bore, 434 cubes) from a fellow car club member. Got a killer deal. Put it in my car, started it, kept having to add coolant, then it seized up. Drained the oil pan, and several gallons of coolant mixed with oil came out. Took the motor apart, found out that the builder had not turned the 440 counterweights down. They had hit the block, so he just ground the block for clearance. Ground into the water jacket, so he put a couple of plugs in the block, but never pressure tested them, and they leaked. The seller was horrified, offered to buy the motor back, but we worked out a deal where I donated a good 383 block and 440 crank and he paid for the machine work to the block and crank, including turning the counterweights down. Made a good motor out of it, was still a good price for me, and it was cheaper for him to pay for the machine work than buy the motor back.

Anyhoo - it really wasn't the seller's fault, except maybe for not having great judgment about who he let build the motor in the first place. However, I will never again run a supposedly rebuilt motor without taking it apart far enough to check everything for myself. And even then only if it's a really good deal.

Wow, that's a bum deal.
This ^^ post of mine was that the cylinder wall being in that condition is a bum deal. Not that the seller/buyer had a bum deal. The OP of THIS thread stated he wants to make this thread about the 340 build.

I'd be surprised if that cleans up at .040.
Can't wait to see the crank

-
Back