The ones that Never will!!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is the third thread in my 3 part bench talk series. This is called "the ones that never will". I want to hear about that one special car you have, the one you love the most. Maybe you're the original owner, maybe your Dad or Grandparents or Uncle handed it down to you, maybe you always knew someday you would own it and now it's yours. But one things for sure, you will NEVER sell it, EVER!!!! Where'd you get it, how much did it cost way back when, and why did you order those seats, all the stuff you love about it so much!!! And make it a story, I've got the time to listen. There's nothing I like better than a good story, especially when it has a happy ending!!! So, let er' rip, boys and girls, let us all know why we can't have it, not even for all the $$$ in the world!!! Geof

my 72 Duster,that ain't mine anymore,it'd be hard to sell that car again,I sold it about four years ago when times were tough and when I wen't to get the rest of the money the guy tryed keeping the car without paying(he owned a towing co.) needless to say the police made him give it back.My son who was about 8 at the time told me"don't sell the car daddy I want it" I told him to bring me a good report card and it would be his....well you shoulda seen him out in the garage one day when I got a new 340 and 727 to build me a new car,he asks,hey daddy will that fit my duster? I'm like yea it'll fit lot's of diffrent mopars.......he pulls out his report card and hands it to me Lol now I gotta be careful if I ever get a hemi....:read2:his Uncle Joe had given quite a few parts for stevens car for me helping him with some of his stuff,It's about time for me to get out there and paint that thing for him,I been cleaning the shop trying to make some room for it so we can get it out of the wheather.

small stevens duster.JPG

angle stevens duster.JPG

Honestly I wouldn't part with either of my cars if times get tough the insurance will be dropped if it has to cause other than that they dont cost me anything.

The one I am really in love with the most is not an A body car, but my E body. A 1973, 4spd Cuda. It was a 340 car at birth, but by the time I got it, it was a 318 and it was useing the balance parts from the 340. What a mess.

It's last combo was a Edel. topped RPM package with a MP shortblock @ 10-1 with Hooker Super Comps and 4.10's out back.

The A body I wish survided the wrecking crash was a '73 Duster, light blue. A different combo. 318/3spd manual on the floor between the buckets. Also a 8-1/4 suregrip equiped rear. Gear ratio unknown, it also had a fold down rear seat and hand crank moon roof on a half landau vinal top in black.

I'd like to find another one just like it. Though a 4spd would be better.

For me, its my 72 dart. I bought it in 1989 for 75.00. it was a slant car with 42,000 miles on it. My dad and I replaced the slant with a 360, working on and driving that car were the best times I had with my dad. Dad passed January of 07. I will never sell our dart.

For me, its my 72 dart. I bought it in 1989 for 75.00. it was a slant car with 42,000 miles on it. My dad and I replaced the slant with a 360, working on and driving that car were the best times I had with my dad. Dad passed January of 07. I will never sell our dart.
That's what I'm talkin' about DARTLARRY, it does a body good to hear that you spent some real quality time with your Dad and you have something to remember him by. God bless all the Dads and their sons who share the things in life that make our memories!!! Geof

my 72 Duster,that ain't mine anymore,it'd be hard to sell that car again,I sold it about four years ago when times were tough and when I wen't to get the rest of the money the guy tryed keeping the car without paying(he owned a towing co.) needless to say the police made him give it back.My son who was about 8 at the time told me"don't sell the car daddy I want it" I told him to bring me a good report card and it would be his....well you shoulda seen him out in the garage one day when I got a new 340 and 727 to build me a new car,he asks,hey daddy will that fit my duster? I'm like yea it'll fit lot's of diffrent mopars.......he pulls out his report card and hands it to me Lol now I gotta be careful if I ever get a hemi....:read2:his Uncle Joe had given quite a few parts for stevens car for me helping him with some of his stuff,It's about time for me to get out there and paint that thing for him,I been cleaning the shop trying to make some room for it so we can get it out of the wheather.
Waggin', you hit it right on the head. I'm foggin' up here, and I hope you enjoy all great times with your son, building something that you both can enjoy!!! Take a page from DARTLARRY, it's gonna be a joy for years to come!!! Tell Steven to enjoy every minute of the ride, and tell him I'm just as proud of that report card as you all were. Geof

even though im only 20 i dont plan on sellin either my dart or my 5th ave. the 5th ave was the 1st car i bought on my own. bought it from a ford dealership in may 07 for $750.25, rust free and it was black like i wanted. so after i got it home, i started makin it my own. swapped out the grey interior for my black n white interior, added a audio/video system, took the lean burn junk off, swapped in a single plane 2bbl intake, and lots of chrome to the engine. threw my wire wheels on it and this year i added hydros to it like i always wanted to do. now with the hydros its givin me a bunch of problems, but its all worth it.

the dart i bought from a used car lot for $2080 may of this year (08 ) and am workin on makin it my own. its got MINT vinyl interior (bench front seat) with the fold down rear seat. had 44xxx miles when i bought it, now its up to 47xxx. still has all the original hoses under the hood!! so far im workin on a stereo setup. made a center counsel for the stereo deck and 2 cup holders. still gonna make a pair of 'glass kick panels to hold 6" speakers. its got some rust issuses that i plan to take care of in the spring (lower 1/4s and a few spots on the front fenders). i plan on shaving the side marker lights and trunk key hole, makin a phantom type grille for it, and goin with either 14" 100 spoke wire wheels with white walls or 14" cragars in white walls for the old skool lowrider look. i have also added H4 headlights and LED tails and front parkin light bulbs

I have a 1968 Dodge Dart GTS 383 4 peed car.It is the real deal one of 991 built.It is a former drag car and has 36,000 miles on it.I paid $7500.00 for the rolling body in 1995.The car was complete minus engine and a few odds and ends.
I will be 39 in January and have wanted a Factory Big Block Dart since I was 15.I passed one up in a junkyard when I was 17.Went back to get it and it was gone.Never thought I could find a 4 speed car.Only ever seen a couple 4 speed cars before I bgought mine.I don't see myself ever selling it.But I my consider trading it for a 68-69 Formula S or 'Cuda 383 4 speed.
Jim

I was 12 in 1966 when my oldest cousin picked me up from school in his T-bucket to tell me he was going to asia to fight communisim I have wanted a hotrod. That is why the first car I built (starting in 03) was my 48 and it will never go anywhere.
The other is my 66 that was my first car that I had in high school for a year and foolishly traded it off for a camaro but almost immediatly then to now I have regretted that trade. Now I have another one and it will never leave my ownership again.

ANNALEE GOING TO POKER RUN 7-29-07.JPG

front pass side.jpg

My car is a 69 Dodge Dart GTS, four speed, all matching numbers... The speedo shows 11,000 plus miles today. I don't believe thats the true mileage but I have documentation that shows 9800 miles back in '96. I bought this car from my father in 2004 for $1. When I came to get it it was like a barn find. It was buried in the back of his pullbarn under a ton of stuff. He had not driven it for years and only then in local parades. Because he is now in his 80's, the car was not really driveable but it was all there, not a spec of rust anywhere. He can't remember when he bought it but I know it was in the mid '70's. The car had the custom paint, lake pipes on the sides, custom interior with shag carpet, and the whole undercarriage of the car was painted red since that time.
When I was growing up we were both into Chevy's, I had Nova's, Chevelles, Impalas, a corvette, etc. My dad had some of the hottest cars built over the years, why he decided to keep this car for so long he really couldn't tell me. But I am glad he did. He sold it to me on the condition that I can only sell it back to him.
Some day I want to restore it back to factory condition but there are some parts that are no longer available, like the green mod top, or mag hubcaps (too expensive), anyway there is no hurry cuz I expect my dad to live for a long time to come and he wouldn't like it stock.

Kim.

I loved your story. More dad's should do that and then make sure they have a regular time set aside to help the kid with the car. Talk about something that will help bond a father and child! Not to mention giving the kid a proper prospective on how to allocate time in life about important things. Not to mention, after he has so many hours invested in a car, he or she will be more likely to respect it and take care of it.

Tarr,with the way things are right now,It's hard to do that...I got some learnin to do still....but if there ain't no work..I got time:cheers:so this must be the time to do those things.It'll all work out!Faith is all I need right now,and I gotta quote an old friend on this one"I Got This" you know who you are! might I add.........thank's for your insight I been hearing that in my head for sometime but you just nailed it in properly,I been tryin,but I think you just hit my thick skull(maybe some others toooooooooooooooo)Lol,Thank's

me n my dad are pretty much eachother best friends. whenever one of us is workin on a car, usually the other is right there helpin. ever since i was 3 ive been workin on cars with my dad. the 1st car i worked on was my grandparents 80s monte ss, helpin pops change brakes on it

My Duster is the one that I'll never get rid of. Have had several mopars come & go since I bought her in my senior year of highschool when I was 17. I'm 39 now & I can count on 1 hand how many people have driven her besides me & my wife of 11 yrs isn't one of them. My parents were very supported of me building her & my dad helped in putting in a replacement 318 when the original bit the farm. I have many pixs of that swap. My dad had to drive her home when I got arrested for street racing & the cops made my friends walk home & they left my car in the parking lot where I pulled over. My friends were pissed because by the time they got home my car was sitting in front of my parents house. They got chased by dogs on their way home. I paid $350 for her at the time, she ran but had a hole in the radiator from broken motor & trans mounts. Changed the mounts, had the radiator fixed & I was ready to roll. No ones offered to buy her from me which is fine cuz I wouldn't sell her anyways. My friends ask when she'll be done & my response is never cuz I'll always want to change her to make her better.

-
Back