The Order of Things

-

Gordon340

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

My 67 Dart GT arrived Friday, at least the first shipment. With the exception of the rear end, K member, front fenders and rear quarter windows the car came completely disassembled. The engine and trans & hopefully a few missing peices are due to arrive next week. I have arrainged the various peices and fasteners in a semi logical order in my home work shop.

I own a professional auto repair shop and have access to any needed equipment, but the car is at my house right now. I will not take it up to the shop till I begin the drivetrain and chassis work. I don't have a lot of room at the shop and it is also nice to work on this one at home away from my "job."

I am wondering what the thoughts of others are concerning the order of restroring the Dart -- what needs to be done first and what would be the next step etc. My first thoughts is to finish what little body work that is needed and send the body off to the body shop. By the time it returns I hope to have its shelter up and ready to store it out of the elements. I can also go through the motor and trans at the shop, away from the rest of the car.

With the body painted, I can begin with restoration and installation of the dash, windshield, interior, engine compartment etc. I could continue at my own pace until it comes time for the drivetrain and chassis work -- then it will be carried up to the shop to finish.

Does this order make sense or would you suggest another?

I prefer to just finish up the engine bay and install the motor. Then finish the rest of the body work so I could start to drive the car. The interoir could be a winter project and you have the rest of the season to enjoy your ride.

Untitled.jpg

-
Back