The quick story of my 65 Dart

-

Larry C

Reaction score
Here is the quick story of my 65 Dart. 273, 904 auto on the column. No real rust to speak of, the story I was told when I purchased the car was that it spent most of it’s life in Mexico. I really don’t know how to find out if that true or not. I’m not a mechanic and have not worked on cars since being a kid 35 – 40 years ago, but always loved muscle cars and especially Mopars, having a 70 Duster, 69 Super Bee, 69 Dart GT and a 73 Charger many years ago. Got married, had kids, the whole bit, now have the time and a little bit of cash.
Purchased this car last spring, cleaned it up, got it road worthy, took it to a couple cruise’s and shows. My plan was to replace the interior, paint the exterior and fix it up more over the winter. I had always had a problem with lots of slop in the shifter, so I thought why not change it over to a floor shift with bucket seats. I purchased the shifter, seat frames, cushions and covers from Don “65 Dartman”, who was nice enough to meet me on his way to the Nats last year. He gave me a fantastic deal on all the parts and has been very supportive in my task at recovering the seats. He is one heck of a great guy (thanks Don!)
I found rusted out front floor pans and taught myself how to weld sheet metal, installed floor insulation, new carpet, seats, windlace, shifter, buffed the existing paint out, etc. Photos of exterior make it look better than it actually looks in person. I repainted the entire interior gold after being inspired by Ulf’s “65dartcharger” build. Glad I did not start to strip the paint this past winter, maybe next year or two.
Have had it out a few times this year, really enjoying the comfy seats, still working on a small tranny leak probably coming from where the shift cable enters the tranny , small problems like horn and dash lights not working (double grounded instrument cluster- all gauges work fine). Very happy with the way it has turned out and will proceed with other mods and repairs over the long Ohio winter.
My plan is to drive it to Columbus in Aug. following a friend down, for a great weekend, my 1st time at the Nats.
The work that I did over the past year would not have been possible without this site, as I obtained most of my knowledge from the posts and questions/answers here.

Attachments

• dart right rear.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Dart.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 186
  • buffing out paint.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 201
  • before.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 173
  • after.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 180
  • interior before.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 166
  • seat after.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 153
You're doing a great job with it Larry. Nice car! Hope to see it at the Nats.

Looking forward to meeting you as well Ulf, followed your build this past year, total attention to detail and very inspiring. Thank you

I love those '65s. Good luck and I'll be watching!

-
Back