The Rally dash thread

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
The rally dash was available from 67-71. In 67-9 it was the standard dash on the barracuda and not available in any other cars those years in the US.

In 70 the rally dash was the standard dash in Duster and Dart 340.
It was available in 340 cars only.

In 71 it was standard dash in Duster and Demon 340 ...again exclusive to 340 cars.

67 was the first year and unique because it was the only year that the speedometer was the screw type and not the clip type, also the lettering in the speedometer was unique to 67.

The dash frame was unique to 67 because the glove box door was spring loaded and did not have a latch. The glove box door mounting plug is totally different from later models.

Attachments

• CIMG2539.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,579
  • CIMG2540.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,449
  • CIMG2541.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,334
  • CIMG2543.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,314
  • CIMG2551.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1,355
starting in 68 the speedometer and tach lettering changed which would continue to 71.

also the radio changed to a thumbwheel radio.

an additional bolt hole was added above the wiper switch for structural support around the radio plug

the area anound the fan motor switch was made wider and this important for differences on a woodgrain panel if used ...although fairly rare

also a cigarette lighter was added to the right of the cluster. this was bcoz 68 didnt have one in the ash tray due to the unique to 68 lower dash pads

the only difference between 68 and 9 is that 68 used the lower dash pads so the dash frames are unique each year. 68 and 9 used a push button latch for the glove box door and a lanyard to hold it when open....glove box doors interchange

Attachments

• CIMG2550.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,265
  • CIMG2547.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,368
  • CIMG2538.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,289
  • CIMG2537.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 1,289
  • CIMG2536.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 1,296
70 was pretty much the same as 68 and 9 and still uses the thumbwheel radio except it lacks the hazard light switch on the cluster.

the dash frame is unique to 70 bcoz 70 was the first year that the ignition switch was moved from the dash to the steering column ....the hazard light switch was also now located on the steering column

70 was also the first year that the glove box door used a rotary latch which meant changes to the dash frame on the glove box door plug.

70typically used a different paint scheme which was more black than the typical siver/pebble grain used in previous years. 70 typically used the woodgrain panels which were self adhesive foil stick ons.

Attachments

• CIMG2548.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 1,334
  • CIMG2549.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,411
71 returned to knob style radio and the changes this year were:

the cigarette lighter on the right side of the cluster disappeared, as well as the extra bolt hole above the wiper switch disappeared

the dash frame is unique to 71 for the changes in the radio ......other than these changes ...71 resembles the 70 in paint scheme and woodgrain appearance

Attachments

• CIMG2545.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,845
  • CIMG2544.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,330
Not that I see but I will add a very small few valiants (68 if it remember correctly) also got the rally dash with the 120 speedo and no tach, performance indicator, because they either ran out of the standard dash or a problem in production resulted in the use of the rally dash in the valiant.

Not that I see but I will had a very small few valiants (68 if it remember correctly) also got the rally dash with the 120 speedo and no tach, performance indicator, because they either ran out of the standard dash or a problem in production resulted in the use of the rally dash in the valiant.

yes thats right .....i remeber seeing that too .....thanks for reminding.

also some dart variances in other countries like Brazil and mexico got the rally dash...but thats a completely different discussion i was trying to keep it all US cars.....but there is some really cool lesser known stuff out there

took the words out of my mouth from what I understand the demand exceeded the supply for a short time and 1-200 hundred 68 Val's got the barracuda rallye dash with a blank (no fish) glove box piece.

Not that I see but I will had a very small few valiant (68 if it remember correctly) also got the rally dash with the 120 speedo and no tach, performance indicator, because they either ran out of the standard dash or a problem in production resulted in the use of the rally dash in the valiant.

Some models had the rare burel wood applied to it, maybe 1968? Cool thread!

yes i made mention of that ...but im not sure what the specifics are for the simulated wood grain in 67-9 .....i have seen it in books and i think it was available all three years 67,8 and 9 but only in high optioned cars ....maybe part of a package. wayyy fancier than anything i have ....i have only had the black pebble grain on 60s clusters

67 the wood grain dash was part of the decor' package, also included were 150 speedo, brite trim on pedals (gas, brake, clutch) rear seat arm rest w/ash receivers, wood grain door panels.

68 the wood grain dash and 150 speedo were a separate package (Rallye instrument cluster) from the 67 decor package. Wood grain was similar to 67 with chrome accents around wood grain.

69 same package as 68 with variance in package(s) wood grain and design was different in texture of grain and the chrome accents around wood grain was removed

68 did have the burl wood. Not sure if it was one year only or just for the 68 Barracuda deluxe package. It was also on the interior door panel inserts.
The others I've seen are the straight grain like in previous picture.
This is from the the 68 Barracuda brochure.
View attachment 68-10.jpg

Good idea for a thread Rani!

Also the dash frame was unique to 67 bcoz the glove box door was spring loaded and did not have a latch. the glove box door mounting plug is totally different from later models.

My first Barracuda was a 67 Commando 273 with a 4 speed. Back in the day I used the glove box door as a Second Performance Indicator. (the first being the vacuum gauge)

Anyway, the way it worked was, I knew I had thrown a good 1-2 shift when the glove box door flew open. :burnout:

OK, To pick your brains...
I have a '69 Barracuda for parts, dash is complete with a/c and am/fm thumb wheel radio.
My intention is to convert my '70 Swinger standard dash with a/c to the Rallye style. Buying a re-pop '70 Bezel and modifying the '70's wire harness (9 circuits i think) to accept the Rallye cluster and connectors.
I may have a line on a '70 Rallye frame (rusty) or should I use the '69 and fill the ignition switch hole or what? Am I totally off base? What am I getting myself into? HELP :?

Actually, only the tachometer numbering changed in 1968. The 1968 speedometer had the slanted numbers like the 1967. The vertical numbers didn't appear until 1969 when they finally matched the tachometer.

OK, To pick your brains...
I have a '69 Barracuda for parts, dash is complete with a/c and am/fm thumb wheel radio.
My intention is to convert my '70 Swinger standard dash with a/c to the Rallye style. Buying a re-pop '70 Bezel and modifying the '70's wire harness (9 circuits i think) to accept the Rallye cluster and connectors.
I may have a line on a '70 Rallye frame (rusty) or should I use the '69 and fill the ignition switch hole or what? Am I totally off base? What am I getting myself into? HELP :?

There are only 2 wires to move and 1 to add so the wiring is the easy part. You could cut the opening in a standard dash large enough to accept the rally panel but... All the screw holes that are there now are in the wrong locations . Plus those places where the rally panel needs screw holes may not have metal there for the hole. The ignition switch bezel in the dash makes a nice home for something other ( like right door mirror remote ) when its not housing the ign' switch.

By the way, 67 verts had same spring loaded glove box door with a lock in the center of the door pull.

There are only 2 wires to move and 1 to add so the wiring is the easy part. You could cut the opening in a standard dash large enough to accept the rally panel but... All the screw holes that are there now are in the wrong locations . Plus those places where the rally panel needs screw holes may not have metal there for the hole. The ignition switch bezel in the dash makes a nice home for something other ( like right door mirror remote ) when its not housing the ign' switch.

Aren't the connectors that plug into the instrument panel completely different? What I see is flat inline on the '70 standard dash and round (Gatling Gun barrel) type on the '69 Barracuda? What am I doing/thinking wrong?
I was hoping to pull the circuits/wire connectors out of the '70 harness connector (disguarding the inline insulator) and install them in the correct position in the '69 round insulator/connector. :?

Earlier stardard dashes did have 2 inline pinups. later had only the round. Rally has one of each. So whichever standard you have will need one or the other.
Where there are 2 seperate boards and 2 connectors of either shape, 2 orange wires are required. Later standard with one round on one board has only 1 orange.
Hope this makes sense.

Thank You Much :prayer:
I will try to post pictures to back up what you said soon. I (if I can find it) have a '73 Duster dash harness if I need the connectors.

A little late, but what would the difference between the 1970 Duster standard dash glove box and the Rallye glove box of the same year. Are the mounting plug / hardware and door the same? I'm trying to figure out what hardware I can keep from my standard dash and transfer it to a Rallye dash. What other hardware would be interchangeable?

-
Back