'The Rod Shop' 1971 Dodge Colt Station Wagon

-

69 Cuda 440

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
1971 Dodge Colt 'D/Altered'

'The Rod Shop'

Running a 'high-winding' Mopar {305 Cubed} Small Block, with 'Weslake Cylinder Heads'.

One of our customers got the Engine out of this car.

rod_shop_08.jpg

Somewhere I have the article on the team with some of tech of that engine and the write ups on the team cars

It was,

A 340 that was 'destroked' to 319 Cubic Inches.

They also had another 'Steel Crankshaft' where they could
drop the Engine down to 305 Cubic Inches.

With the '319' and #2950 lbs. they ran D/Altered.

Or, with the '305' and #2605 lbs. they could also make it into D/Altered.

It ran 10.40's @ 130 MPH at the 1971 Indy Nationals.

Keith Black prepared, with a 'Kellogg Crankshaft' and 'Carrillo Rods'.

Back in 1972,

We almost did the same combination, but with a 1965 Valiant Station Wagon,
and with a Tunnel Ram. To run in the 'Gas Class 'E/G' or 'F/G'

1971 Dodge Colt

Mopar 305 Cubic Inch w/560 Horsepower

* 8000 RPM.......Line-Launches with a Hemi 4-Speed {2.66; 1st-gear}

* 8500 RPM......'Shift-Points'

* 10,000 RPM...'Red-Line'

One Bad Wagon. I wonder what happened to it?

Attachments

• RodShopWagon_20.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,455
One Bad Wagon. I wonder what happened to it?

The Dodge Colt {complete} was parked in a garage in a House in a quiet neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio
for about 5 years.

Last raced in 1973 or 1974.

Owned and Raced by; Rick Stickel and Ray Noltemeyer of the 'Nationwise Rod Shop'.

The Cylinder Heads were 'custom' - Aluminum Tunnel-Port Units from 'Gurney-Weslake' out of England.

One of our customers ended up with the Engine, a 'long time ago'.

The Dodge Colt {complete} was parked in a garage in a House in a quiet neighborhood in Columbus, Ohio
for about 5 years.

Last raced in 1973 or 1974.

Owned and Raced by; Rick Stickel and Ray Noltemeyer of the 'Nationwise Rod Shop'.

The Cylinder Heads were 'custom' - Aluminum Tunnel-Port Units from 'Gurney-Weslake' out of England.

One of our customers ended up with the Engine, a 'long time ago'.

Any pictures of the motor now?

I would like to see more detail on the G-W heads.
Don't see anything with detail.

I would like to see more detail on the G-W heads.
Don't see anything with detail.

There's a article in '69 Motor Trend showing Pete Hutchison building the USAC 318 stock block indy motor at Keith Blacks shop. They were testing flat 180 deg cranks.

The G-W heads are just the next iteration of that Mopar stock block indy motor project. They added about 40 HP over the traditional designed irons.

I thought the G-W Mopar head is just designed around the G-W Ford. Just adapted to the Mopar block

These two pictures are from the Motor Trend article I believe.

The G-W headed small block tried to make the 69 indy race with Art Pollard driving, but they blew all the motors. That was in a Gehardt chassis. The the first set of heads were reportedly delivered directly to track at Indy just two days after the STP race cars arrived! They moved Pollard to a car with an Offy motor for better relibility.

There are press pictures of a #20 STP "Super Wedge" car with Plymouth lettering and motor. That car has a large wide wedged front nose. The motor with the G-W heads did not fit that chassis. The whole chassis was shelved, never to be seen again. Although there were lot of press photo released from Plymouth on the car.

Later in the year, the G-W headed motor was in a Gerhardt chassis and #57 and won at Dover Downs oval USAC race. That car looks like a long wedged stick. I believe that car is the car in the Speedway Motors parts company museum in Omaha Nebraska. Car ran Riverside.

One of those chassis' were tested with a modified 727 automatic transmission in it. There's an article in a 1969 Hot Rod on that. IIRC, one other issue/mag also.

Attachments

• 1969_MT_Plymouth_Perf_1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,343
  • 1969_MT_Plymouth_Perf_2.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 5,317
These Westlake Headed small blocks were originally built for the sole purpose of running at the Indy 500 and other USAC races; paved and dirt.

I don't know how competitive the motors were in those Colts in Drag Racing?? It may have been just a deal to get some PR mileage out of a failed project.

Here's a thread I just found with some fantastic information on the 1969 Plymouth Indy car project and season....

It seems the Plymouth westlake headed motors were intalled and race in 3 different paved USAC "Indy cars" and 2 different USAC Midgets.

http://forums.autosport.com/topic/82248-1969-indy-500-three-chassis-questions/

I think that I can help with the 1969 STP chassis identification. I was a Chrysler engineer in the STP-Plymouth engine program in 1969. I was responsible for the interfaces between the STP chassis and the Plymouth engine/transmission and the Ferguson transfer case.

Both the #20 and the #40 cars had STP built tubs and suspension that looked to me like direct copies of the Lotus 56, although Vince Granatelli insisted that they were original designs, not Lotus copies. They were definitely not Lotus built chassis. For Indianapolis car 20 had a Plymouth stock block engine and car 40 had a turbo Offy. Car 20 had two bodies, the "Super Wedge" and a smaller body that looks like a Lotus 56 at first glance. The "Super Wedge" was built in a small shop just down the street from the STP facility in Santa Monica. I don't know who designed it.

The Super Wedge was designed to fit the stock block Plymouth engine with stock iron heads. However after the body was designed we switch to Weslake designed aluminum heads. These heads were very similar id design to the Gurney-Weslake heads, but were to fit the Plymouth engine. Harry Weslake deigned, built and delivered these heads in less than 90 days, and they gave a power increase of over 40 HP. But they were too tall to fit under the Super Wedge body. Andy Granatelli was happy to exchange 40 HP for the trick body, but wanted the body on the car when it arrived at the Speedway. Andy knew that the body would generate a lot of positive PR. The engine with the Weslake heads arrived at the garage two days after the car. The engine was installed together with the smaller body and the Super Wedge body was put in the garage and never seen again. Art Pollard was the assigned driver for the #20 car and did all of the test driving. Unfortunately we had some lubrication problems and wiped out the crankshaft thrust bearing on three engines. With the questionable reliability of the Plymouth engine, Pollard switch to the #40 Offy powered car and qualified it. We withdrew the Plymouth engined car from this race. The whole program wasn't started until the January 20, so our time to design test and develop the engine was very limited.

The #40 car retried with a failure in the lube circuit of the Ferguson transfer case.

The #20 car with the Plymouth engine ran in eight races driven by Art Pollard, Sam Posey and Jim Malloy. Its best finish was third in the first heat at Kent, Washington.

For the final race of the year at Riverside car #40 also ran with a Plymouth engine, divan by George Follmer, with Sam Posey in #20.

Car #20 at Kent and both cars at Riverside ran automatic transmissions based on a Chrysler Torqueflite.

The Plymouth engine was also run in four races in Grant King's Gehardt chassis, #57, driven by Art Pollard. Art won the race at Dover with this car.

The original iron head version of the engine was installed by Grant King in two of his dirt cars driven by Greg Weld and Art Pollard. A Plymouth engine sat on the pole in all of the Champ Car dirt races that year

The Weslake heads on 'The Rod Shop' 1971 Dodge Colt,

Were equipped with 2.02" and 1.60" Chevy 11/32" Stem Valves.

At the 1971 Indy Nationals, the 1971 Dodge Colt was not 'tweaked' yet, as they
were still working out the 'bugs'.

And the Fuel Injection utilized shot-tube 'sliding-valve' Injectors.

Yet still ran 10.40's @ 130 MPH in 'D/Altered'

That Colt Wagon 'screammmmmed'

The Weslake heads on 'The Rod Shop' 1971 Dodge Colt,

Were equipped with 2.02" and 1.60" Chevy 11/32" Stem Valves.

At the 1971 Indy Nationals, the 1971 Dodge Colt was not 'tweaked' yet, as they
were still working out the 'bugs'.

And the Fuel Injection utilized shot-tube 'sliding-valve' Injectors.

Yet still ran 10.40's @ 130 MPH in 'D/Altered'

That Colt Wagon 'screammmmmed'

When did they stop running the W-G head motor? Why did they stop running it?

Did it post some wins with that motor combo?

Auto-x-Cuda,

Not sure if the Dodge Colt Wagon scored any 'major event' wins.

But they were quite popular in Northeast Ohio at,
* National Trail Raceway
* Dragway 42
* Norwalk Raceway Park
* Salem

The car was more of a 'Show Car', an 'advertising race car' designed for 'Match Race Events'
against the 'Altered' Anglia's.

The Rod Shop

200707011201.jpg

Really cool thread. I seen the Rod Shop cars so many times back in the 70's. They always looked and ran good.

-
Back