the shop

-

arkansasdave

67 notch
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm working on building a new shop and was trying to come up with some ideas on the layout and etc.. if you have some photos you could post for some ideas I would appreciate it. I have a general idea but I want to make sure there isn't something I would like better than what I had in mind. I already have the basic structure in place, it has a gambrel style roof and will have a mezzanine half way across. I mainly am trying to get some ideas on styles of work benches, tables, style, etc..

thanks,
Arkansas Dave
67 notch:-D

X2 the size you figure you would like, then start from there.

Don't forget the electrical outlets. You never have enough.

Damn, I wish I had put one over there!!!!!

build it really big, with a paint booth, bar, and twice the size of your original plans

Desert Rat nice car! and I have a 13 foot ceiling that should do it. I don't have any photos yet I'll have to take some I mainly just want to see some different styles to see what I like and I will make it fit from there I just don't know what I like yet.

thanks,
AD

If you can, put outlets in the ceiling instead of hard wiring the lights.....Then you can hang the lights from chains and drop them as needed. :cheers:

i have always wanted a shop with a 2nd floor upstairs. that was a showroom with an elevator to bring cars upstairs and downstairs and all glass walls lol. its a big dream lol but would be pretty tight. i got the idea from farris buelers day off when they put the porshe(?) out the window trying to reverse miles on it lol

At least two overhead doors on the same side of the building. Ones accross from them is also nice. I have one twelve feet wide and one ten feet wide, both are ten foot tall.

I installed a Rotary two post lift first thing.

I have a 200 Amp main panel box with 60 breakers in it to install. I plan to install a plug for every 220 outlet know to man so I can plug in anything.

Air lines on every wall with an outlet at a minimum of 6 foot plus one on the outside near the overhead door.

I have tensile strength I beams that I got from Mercury Marine that I plan to mount to the 2 7/8 upset tubing roof trusses that I made. The I beams were part of a trolley system Mercury Marine used them to move inboard boat motors around in the building.
There is three I beams in the plan.
Two run perpendicular with each other.
One those two there will be rolling trollies.
Each end of the third I beam will be mounted to one of the trollies so that I beam will roll the length of the other I beams.
On the rolling I beam there will be another trolley that will roll the width of that I beam.
This set up will also go over heavy steel racks that I have (Thanks again Mercury Marine) so I can store engines on the top level.
With this set up I will be able to remove an engine out of a car and store it on the racks instead of taking up valuable floor space plus the trolley travel the square of the I beams unrestricted. It will also eliminate the cherry picker totally. There will be nothing in the way under the car, ie; cherry picker legs that are always in the way.
The racks with engines stored on it will have a second shelf that small parts will be stored on.
Under that shelf will be my steel tables (Thanks again to Mercury Marine) and the bottom of the rack shelves will be lots and lots of lighting and plug ins.

These are my plans and I have everything to do it with but now I have a seriously messed up back so I hope to find someone that can finish the project.

-
Back