The slant or the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I am not scared of any 340,360,440,540 strokers.My slant car would probably embareass you,but my car is a slant race car with close to 300hp.Car has only run 11.43 @ 115 all motor,will spray it with a 60 shot to try to get in the 10s.Motor has over 350 passes on it.
Guzzi Mark
beat me? probably at the moment.embarass me? never. an embarassment would be what your slant would do to a 350. easy killa , im not bashing slants. they are very respectable.how much cash,time and labor do you really have wrapped up in just the slant?

It doesn't matter if yours will "do 127 in the quarter".....God, that sounds mega ghey just sayin it. What matters is who crosses the line first. Evidently, Bill doesn't know that. lol

Quarter-mile speeds are the BEST indicator of power output in a drag car. Elapsed times are reliant on a multitude of things related to the chassis setup, aerodynamics, drivetrain specifications, and tires.

When comparing two vehicles' performance potential, elapsed times are far too "iffy" to give you a good idea of what that vehicle is capble of when the chassis is sorted out. We were discussing engines, not the whole package, here, so the MPH is a more reliable yardstick for measuring performance portential.

I have a friend who had a '69 Camaro A/SA car that ran 127 MPH, just like Ryan's Valiant. He had scienced out the chassis and it went 1.31 60-ft. times, with e.t's as low as 10.19... all at 127 MPH.

Ryan's car could run that quick, and probably will, but for purposes of comparison RE: horsepower output, the MPH figure is a lot more reliable.

Capeesh???

Your spelling is as bad as your logic...

"ghey"?????

Keep your chin up Bill, I hope I can get around a car as well as you can at your age
If half the folks here knew how much hot rod writing that got published they might back off and enjoy your input, be it V8 or /6... Wow!! this thread sure is getting wild. JMO.

WAY more time and money than if I just put a V8 in it,but I gotta do stuff the hard way,more gratifying for me.Mark

WAY more time and money than if I just put a V8 in it,but I gotta do stuff the hard way,more gratifying for me.Mark

Same here Mark :D

Attachments

• 407229_255872027816595_208877045849427_610538_278182184_n.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 182
Quarter-mile speeds are the BEST indicator of power output in a drag car. Elapsed times are reliant on a multitude of things related to the chassis setup, aerodynamics, drivetrain specifications, and tires.

When comparing two vehicles' performance potential, elapsed times are far too "iffy" to give you a good idea of what that vehicle is capble of when the chassis is sorted out. We were discussing engines, not the whole package, here, so the MPH is a more reliable yardstick for measuring performance portential.

I have a friend who had a '69 Camaro A/SA car that ran 127 MPH, just like Ryan's Valiant. He had scienced out the chassis and it went 1.31 60-ft. times, with e.t's as low as 10.19... all at 127 MPH.

Ryan's car could run that quick, and probably will, but for purposes of comaparison RE: horsepower output, the MPH figure is a lot more reliable.

Capeesh???

Your spelling is as bad as your logic...

"ghey"?????

Good God almighty. You'd argue with a rock I think. I don't give a frig about the best indicator of power. I said whoever crosses the line first wins. ..and lessie, I started racin in 1978 so I think I know how it works. You can stand on the sidelines crying about how your car went faster and made more power all day long. But if the other guy crosses the line FIRST, you LOST.

Oh and "ghey" means gayer than gay could ever be. I know how to spell.

QUOTE] yes that is correct, but;
definition of drag race;

javascript:;drag race

 
noun a race between two or more automobiles starting from a standstill, the winner being the car that can accelerate the fastest to an indicated point or mark ....so with that said, i go on to quote your signature; by the time you get your 6 boosted, i will be half way down the track lmao.:eek:ops:it doesnt matter how much boost and horsepower you are making when the objective is too beat your competitor to the end of the track. are you going to argue that a drag race is an exibition of HP and NOT an exibition of speed?

"I KNEW THE LIGHT WAS GREEN!! I was waiting for the BOOST!!!!

But, your car is unique and FAST... not just another small block that we see so many of.

Myself, I'm too OLD and LAZY to do things the hard way... so, I take the coward's way out and use a cheater (hairdryer.)

Not enough time left for the small valves/small ports and only ambient pressure to fill the cylinders; I need help!:blob:

Keep your chin up Bill, I hope I can get around a car as well as you can at your age
If half the folks here knew how much hot rod writing that got published they might back off and enjoy your input, be it V8 or /6... Wow!! this thread sure is getting wild. JMO.
x2

slant sixes are just as popular as a V8. that is why there is a http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46940&sid=52081782a85b0b637b4f0d08e01d2605 forum dedicated to nothing but slants. i have yet to run across a 318 ONLY forum or a small block mopar ONLY forum. just sayin'

.org was not born out of popularity,but because slant six guys get tired of hearing "put a v8 in it". There is only a small number of regulars compared to other sites. Its true they have become more popular recently with high gas prices,and all the recent turbo slants opening peoples eyes.

If you beat a slant six with a V8 that is no big deal,but if you beat a V8 with a slant,that is something to be proud of.

I know guys who drive 90's honda economy cars with 1.8 4 cyl motors that will smoke every slant six or street driven V8 on this site,and still get 30 mpg on the highway.If you want to be the fastest person on the road get a hyabusa,otherwise just enjoy what you drive regardless of what engine it has. There is always someone faster than you.

.org was not born out of popularity,but because slant six guys get tired of hearing "put a v8 in it". There is only a small number of regulars compared to other sites. Its true they have become more popular recently with high gas prices,and all the recent turbo slants opening peoples eyes.

If you beat a slant six with a V8 that is no big deal,but if you beat a V8 with a slant,that is something to be proud of.

I know guys who drive 90's honda economy cars with 1.8 4 cyl motors that will smoke every slant six or street driven V8 on this site,and still get 30 mpg on the highway.If you want to be the fastest person on the road get a hyabusa,otherwise just enjoy what you drive regardless of what engine it has. There is always someone faster than you.
The best said so far in this thread :supz:

9 & 10 second street legal fwd cars currently racing:
1. Jason Hunt 88 crx 9.87 @ 150
2. Brian Fischer 95 civic hatch 9.97 @ 148
3. jason hunt 97 civic coupe 10.25 @ 147
4. Charles Walker 96 integra 10.2 @ 147
5. Frank SFP 99 civic coupe 10.36 @ 144
6. mike murphy civic hatch 10.41 @ 139
7. Shad sawyer 92 civic hatch 10.44 @ 144
8. kevin inge 92 civic hatch 10.4 @ 140
9. Courtney civic hatch 10.47 @
10. Brian Ballard crx 10.50 @ 142
11. shorty watkins civic hatch 10.61 @ 142
12. tim burhans civic hatch 10.63 @
13. Josh Elam 93 civic hatch 10.64 @ 137
14. Bill Willoughby 92 Civic hatch 10.66 @ 133
15. joe taylor 92 civic hatch 10.6 @
16. rob mckellar 90 talon(fwd) 10.6 @ 140
17. jose rodriguez 92 civic hatch 10.69@139
18. marc samaniego crx 10.71 @ 127
19. tony werdehausen 96 civic hatch 10.79 @ 138
20. jose rodriguez 96 civic hatch 10.84@135
21. matt patrick (zexman) crx 10.85 @ 135
22. alex jimenez 92 civic hatch 10.88 @ 136
23. Allen Sturgeon civic hatch 10.89 @ 132
24. al krupp 93 civic hatch 10.9 @ 134

9 & 10 second street legal fwd cars no longer racing(1998-2002):

1. stan Wladyka 93 civic hatch 10.4 @ 140
2. jojo callos 10.46 @
3. lanny higa civic hatch 10.49 @ 139
4. karl hedgepath 93 civic hatch 10.70 @ 135
5. paul umholtz civic hatch 10.93 @ 133
6. stOOpid civic hatch 10.98 @ 130
7. orland trancho civic hatch 10.9 @ 129

**brief list of rules**

1. slicks allowed, skinnies allowed.

2. race fuel allowed.

3. standalone/aftermarket fuel sytem allowed. NO fuel cells allowed.

4. NO wheelie bars.

5. full glass, no lexan or fiberglass hatches.

6. full original body, no cutting what so ever. carbon fiber front fenders and hood allowed. fiberglass hood allowed.

7. full dash, one front seat, door panels and carpet must be retained. must appear basically stock on the inside.

8. exhaust optional.

those are basically the rules that every sanctioned body uses in all of the street classes with the ecception of skinnies and exhaust.

With over 22,000 members, if you don't think somebody on here does not have something faster than that as a street car, you're delusional.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0701_impp_drag_1994_honda_civic_hatchback_si/viewall.html

I can do this all day,but I dont believe that is necessary. Im not a honda fan,but the fact is that hondas with 2 liter or under 4 cyls will smoke big block muscle cars.Does that mean I would rather drive a built honda over my /6 truck? No,im not the kind of person who has to drive the fastest thing on the road to feel like a real man,or make up for other short comings I may have.

slant sixes are just as popular as a V8. that is why there is a http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46940&sid=52081782a85b0b637b4f0d08e01d2605 forum dedicated to nothing but slants. i have yet to run across a 318 ONLY forum or a small block mopar ONLY forum. just sayin'

That's like a kid complaining that there's a Mother's Day, a Father's Day and a Grandparents Day, but no Children's Day.

You know why there aren't small block V8 only forums?
They're all small block V8 only forums.

Also, for those who care, apparently the world's fastest street legal A-body is this one with 8.26 at 164MPH.

And for those who care, the claimed world's fasted Slant Six is [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckoya9wcTKA"]this one[/ame] with 9.85 at 132MPH.

There's no need to stir the pot over which is ultimately faster. It's the V8. End of discussion. Some Slants are obviously faster than many V8s, but there's always going to be a V8 that's faster.

(And not to burst anyone's bubble, but a Mopar isn't even close to the world's fastest street legal car.)

You don't build a Slant Six to be the fastest car ever. You do it to be as fast as you can. It's not about being efficient or affordable or easy. It's about being able to be better than meets the eye. If you want to truly go fast, look at another engine. If you want to have fun, love a challenge, and want to draw a lot of eyes to your engine bay, The Slant may be for you.

And V8 guys, mocking Slant Six drivers with an obviously more powerful engine is like you being mocked by the inevitable guy with the faster Chevy. Not very becoming. Let's try to keep the trash talk within its proper racing classes.

"Also, for those who care, apparently the world's fastest A-body is this one with 8.26 at 164MPH."

You will be delighted to find out that th world's fastet A Body is not only a '64 Valiant, but a 4-door sedan as well...

Check this out!

http://fastdoorslammers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10236

"Needless to say they moved right into the thick of things in just their second race as they went to the final round at the Bakersfield event and ran a best of 6.01 @ 246 mph."

A Bodies rule!!! :D

"
You will be delighted to find out that th world's fastet A Body is not only a '64 Valiant, but a 4-door sedan as well...

My sincerest apologies. I meant to say, "fastest street legal A-body." I have corrected my omission.

That is amazing, though. I'm thrilled it's a '64 Valiant, too.

"By the time you get your 6 boosted, i will be half way down the track lmao."

Ryan's '66 Valiant leaves the line with 28 pounds of boost through the magic of "stall-starting." I think you may not be familar with that; anybody can do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back