The Superbird Wing Was Not "Idiotically-Ineffective" or "Dumb"

-
I don't care how "ugly" some say they are. I don't know all the specs.

All I do know is what I think. I think the Daytona and Superbird is one of the coolest looking cars ever made. It shows how big Chrysler's balls were at the time, IMO. Cars made as close to an airplane as you can get.

What's so cool is, I bet.......I just BET that a 1969 Daytona in 69 NASCAR trim would beat a 2015 anything in NASCAR trim on the superspeedways totally unrestricted. That right there is a testament to what those cars were. I think anyone who does not like them has their head in the sand.

I don't care how "ugly" some say they are. I don't know all the specs.

All I do know is what I think. I think the Daytona and Superbird is one of the coolest looking cars ever made. It shows how big Chrysler's balls were at the time, IMO. Cars made as close to an airplane as you can get.

What's so cool is, I bet.......I just BET that a 1969 Daytona in 69 NASCAR trim would beat a 2015 anything in NASCAR trim on the superspeedways totally unrestricted. That right there is a testament to what those cars were. I think anyone who does not like them has their head in the sand.

I remember an article a few years back, it stated if you put a modern NASCAR chassis/engine combo in a Daytona body, it would hit speeds in the 220 range.
Who knows, No one has tried it as far as I know.

Games,

What games.

If you don't know the Specifications, just say so.

I don't need to know all of the specs. (I've forgotten more of the specs than you have in your books. )

I OWN ONE! (I can always go out to my garage in back and take a look.) We've had one in the family since 1980.

I know the production numbers, what options they came with. Hung out with the Daytona-Supeerbird Auto Club and Winged Warriors Clubs for years and participated in their shows and meets a few times.

We've driven ours on Indy, Talledega, and Chelsea Proving Grounds. Including doing 150 MPH around the high bank oval track at Chelsea...

IT'S A BLAST!!!!

Here's some shots from Talledega: :glasses7:

View attachment Sprbrd Tall A01 C2.jpg

Here are pictures from the rear of the pack with our car waaay up there...

View attachment TRACK 01 B.jpg

View attachment TRACK 03 D.jpg

The engine:

View attachment Superbird Engine D02 B.jpg

The speedo with ORIGINAL MILEAGE: :cheers:

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 Speedo A04 B.jpg

Where's yours??? :???:

oh_snap__homestuck__by_evant1017-d56f7rx.png

~ Test Question of the Day ~

For all you 1970 Plymouth Superbird 'experts'.

What was the dimension specifications of the Rear-Deck Wing.

* Height of Wing {From the Trunk-Deck to Top of the Air-Foil Wing}
* Air-Foil Wing > Width and Length
* {Vertical Supports} > Width and Height

* Weight of 'complete' Rear-Deck Wing assembly.

* Air-Foil Wing > Type of Material
* {Vertical Supports} > Type of Material

* How many bolts to fasten each {Vertical Support}.

* How many under-deck support braces in Trunk.

I will be checking, because I have 'all' the answers.
I like these type of quiz. Some of us like to learn all that we can about MoPars.
If you already know the answer, you have two options.
#1 - Answer the question & share your knowledge.
#2 - Don't answer & keep all that top secret knowledge to yourself.

69 Cuda 440, keep em coming.

Remember the thread on the specs for the 273 commando 4 bbl cam that you posted the incorrect lift, and when I posted screen captures of the correct spec from 4 different Dodge & Plymouth service manuals, but you still insisted that your old NHRA books were "more accurate" and could not concede that they may be wrong after being proven wrong???
So you started your own thread on it...

That's why I don't even participate or look at your posts. Even when you're wrong, you're always right... :violent1:

So in the interest of keeping this post on point, I will back down and be the better man.

Good day. :D

View attachment Grumpy Baby A05.jpg

I like these type of quiz. Some of us like to learn all that we can about MoPars.
If you already know the answer, you have two options.
#1 - Answer the question & share your knowledge.
#2 - Don't answer & keep all that top secret knowledge to yourself.

69 Cuda 440, keep em coming.

Ok then, show your answers...

[ame]https://youtu.be/Z0YIJQ1jgEI[/ame]

Right. I don't know all the answers either. not sure I really want to. lol I love the cars, though.

I did wind tunnel testing at Grumman Aerospace. I came across the actual wind tunnel report for the Superbird some time ago. I have not seen one for the Daytona. I seem to remember that the test was conducted in a wind tunnel at a Southern university. Yes, they did a great amount of testing with the wing, nose, front air dam, and stance. The greatest effect they found from the wing assembly actually came from the vertical stabilizers and not the "wing" itself. The verticals added a huge amount of lateral stability at high speed. That was the greatest secret!

That's just it, I don't know the answers.
But I'm not afraid to admit that.

I look forward to seeing the answers, so I can be better informed.

After all, this is a discussion forum, isn't it?

Ok, here's what I can remember:

I believe that the vertical wings and the horizontal are aluminum, they seem lighter than steel.

There are two metal brackets coming down from the wing on each side of the trunk in a triangular pattern that are bolted to a welded on flange to the trunk floor board. You can shake the whole car by just using the wing, they are so stable... The race cars used to let three girls sit on top of the wings after the race...

The wing was approx 2 feet off the trunk so I will go with 24" height.

distance between the wings - I've never measured and don't feel like doing it right now (are you talking outside-to-outside, inside-to-inside, or center-to-center?)...

The length and with of the vertical wings is an invalid question as they are wider at the bottom than the top, so their is more than one answer. -trick question...

How much the wing weighs - I don't know. I've never had mine off and also won't do it just to win a trivia question. - at least the state fair gives out free pencils...

If I remember correctly there are two bolts at the bottom braces for the wings that bolt to the flange at the bottom.

I've never looked up to see how many are on top, but I will guess that there are two on each brace at the top...

Due to the fact that our main set of keys for the car may have been locked in the trunk (don't ask - kids) and I'm waiting to find a spare set somewhere, I can't go look at this time and do not want to risk using a tape measure near the car that may scratch it.

I did wind tunnel testing at Grumman Aerospace. I came across the actual wind tunnel report for the Superbird some time ago. I have not seen one for the Daytona. I seem to remember that the test was conducted in a wind tunnel at a Southern university. Yes, they did a great amount of testing with the wing, nose, front air dam, and stance. The greatest effect they found from the wing assembly actually came from the vertical stabilizers and not the "wing" itself. The verticals added a huge amount of lateral stability at high speed. That was the greatest secret!

Now that IS some good info fish!

It would be cool to see the info for the Daytona as they were more aerodynamic.

Yes, the wing helped keep the back end behind the car to help keep control if they tried to get sideways. Like the feathers on a dart, always go to the rear....

So far with the pissin contest I see one spouting info with no proof and the other posting pictures of said owned car as proof. Sorta a no brainer at this point.

~ Test Question of the Day ~

For all you 1970 Plymouth Superbird 'experts'.

What was the dimension specifications of the Rear-Deck Wing.

* Height of Wing {From the Trunk-Deck to Top of the Air-Foil Wing}
* Air-Foil Wing > Width and Length
* {Vertical Supports} > Width and Height

* Weight of 'complete' Rear-Deck Wing assembly.

* Air-Foil Wing > Type of Material
* {Vertical Supports} > Type of Material

* How many bolts to fasten each {Vertical Support}.

* How many under-deck support braces in Trunk.

I will be checking, because I have 'all' the answers.

Did you know the engineers said that a 9 inch wing work the same as the final production wing but the taller one was way more intimidating. I wish I could remember where I read that.

I don't need to know all of the specs. (I've forgotten more of the specs than you have in your books. )

I OWN ONE! (I can always go out to my garage in back and take a look.) We've had one in the family since 1980.

I know the production numbers, what options they came with. Hung out with the Daytona-Supeerbird Auto Club and Winged Warriors Clubs for years and participated in their shows and meets a few times.

We've driven ours on Indy, Talledega, and Chelsea Proving Grounds. Including doing 150 MPH around the high bank oval track at Chelsea...

IT'S A BLAST!!!!

Here's some shots from Talledega: :glasses7:

View attachment 1714816989

Here are pictures from the rear of the pack with our car waaay up there...

View attachment 1714816990

View attachment 1714816991

The engine:

View attachment 1714816992

The speedo with ORIGINAL MILEAGE: :cheers:

View attachment 1714816993

Where's yours??? :???:

That is bad ***! I wish I never sold mine :banghead:

Did you know the engineers said that a 9 inch wing work the same as the final production wing but the taller one was way more intimidating. I wish I could remember where I read that.

The info that I've seen states that the wing had to be above the roof-line to be effective above 80 mph. They had to put it above the roof in the "undisturbed air" so they would work at high speeds.

I still believe that the wing was that high so the trunk would open. As based on a production vehicle, the trunk would have to open you would think. Also, I cant remember, but I seem to remember a picture of a Prototype Daytona with a shorter wing, might have even been a clay model or such. But, if the wing was mounted to the trunk, it probably would have caved in the trunk at high speed, even on the street version. It had to have the beefy verticle stabilizers, which also served as aero stabilizers themselves as mentioned. So it seems as in alot of other chrysler engineering, 2 birds are killed with one stone. The wing is high to get at the good air but it looks like something crazy, but also it allows the trunk to open so lets go with it. But can we sell such a crazy looking car? I dont know but lets just do it so we can qualify the thing for nascar. OK so the dealerships can deal with selling the things.

This reminds me of the time I actually saw a superbird for the first time. It was 1978 and I was at a house owned by a friends of my mother, Bert and Bill, nice folks. I was 14 or 15 and we were sitting at the kitchen table having coffee and such. Then, I heard this rumbling noise. "hey, here comes the lady with the superbird" bill says. "what's a superbird" I say "Well your gonna see one in a minute" So we both get up and look out the window and my jaw just about hit the floor. I think it was medium blue and defintley a 4 speed. I just couldnt believe it at first seeing one in real life. I had seen them in pictures and such seeing one on the road was spectacular. I coulnt believe my eyes. I asked Bill why the lady was driving this car {aparently as a daily driver} I remember him saying that her husband had ordered the car before he went to 'nam and like alot of these stories, he did not come back. So there she is driving the thing around with 2 children no less, taking it to trips to the get groceries and such. I still wonder today what happened to that car. If anybody knows, the car was in the Vineland NJ area, just off of Forest Grove rd. I cant remember the name of the lady but she was a black woman in her late 20's early 30's at the time I would guess. If anybody knows this car, please tell if you have any info.

Mike,

The height of the Rear-Wing on the Superbird is 24" above the Deck-Lid.

But the 'stanchions' {Vertical Fins} are longer, due to the Rake {angle}.

The stanchions are Die-Cast, and are fastened to the rear quarter-panels
with '4' bolts. The bolts holes are {1/2" in diameter}.

Placed on the under-side of the quarter-panel, is a 'steel' shoe-plate
that provides for a mounting-base.

Next, the 'famous' Tri-angular support-plates.

These Tri-angular units were called 'Z-Plates', and were made of
angle-iron.

In the trunk-compartment, along the inner-side of the quarter-panels,
the Tri-angular braces are used to support the stanchions {Vertical-Fins}

At the base of the trunk-floor, a 'shoe' was welded to the floor, to provide
for a mount for the bottom of the 'Z-Brace'.

The base of the 'Z-Brace' was fastened to the shoe by '2' bolts.

At the top, the '4' bolts from the {Vertical Fins} come thru the quarter-panel
and extend into the trunk compartment and thru both the shoe-plate and
'Z-plate', where they are fastened by 1/2" nuts with washers.

I got most of my answers correct, where's my prize???

I got most of my answers correct, where's my prize???

You answered 'some' of the Test Questions, but not 'all'.

As 'The Professor', I must grade your test as an 'incomplete'.

I well send a note to your parents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. and Mrs. KrazyKuda,

Your son can be a 'top student', if he would only apply himself.

Sincerely,

Professor, 69 Cuda 440

All this time I thought this is what they were meant for!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 267
-
Back