The "Throw Away 318"

-
Well I got about 500 bucks in mine. Don't get me wrong the BP 408 is great but sometimes a guy can just deal with what he has sitting around.
Like ****, I'm kinda sick of the thought that we should leave our cars in the ******* garage until we can have someone else build us the ultimate ******* 408. Sometimes hot rodding is about what you can build yourself with the time, cash and parts available. That's where the "Throw away 318" comes in.
Rant over!
Cley

I totally agree! However I do like to run mine at the track. Now that being said, racing a slow car and doing what you can to make a slow car as fast as it can be for what it is, is alot of fun! And definitely cheaper than trying to be the fastest out there!

Cley

How true most people miss the point of having fun with what’s laying around or the challenge of trying something different or unconventional. Book common wisdom and you’re an idiot! How stupid is that?

By the way! How is it going with that 318 and what have you done and what are you doing to it?

There’s a saying, I forget how it goes, something to the effect of having more fun in a slow car trying to go fast than a fast car …. Not being able to go fast…
Or some stuff like that….

How true most people miss the point of having fun with what’s laying around or the challenge of trying something different or unconventional. Book common wisdom and you’re an idiot! How stupid is that?
There’s a saying, I forget how it goes, something to the effect of having more fun in a slow car trying to go fast than a fast car …. Not being able to go fast…
Or some stuff like that….
i've always said lower power cars can be fun. you can drive them flat out almost all of the time whereas high power cars you spend all your time feathering the throttle, meaning more concentration is needed so less fun.

To some on here if you are building a street engine you should still spend $1,200 for Pistons, $1,500 for Rods, $3,000 for heads......

Anything less you are a cheapscape chuckle head.

To some on here if you are building a street engine you should still spend $1,200 for Pistons, $1,500 for Rods, $3,000 for heads......

Anything less you are a cheapscape chuckle head.

Well let’s do some simple math. You can buy a nice rod for around 300 bucks. You can’t rebuild a set of factory rods for that. You can buy a nice set of Icon pistons for about 600 clams. You can buy some Speedmaster heads for about 300 smackers each. Keep making yourself look like an idiot you fool. Your prices are as silly as the other thread.

Keep making yourself look like an idiot you fool. Your prices are as silly as the other thread.
No, I don’t think so. While his listed prices are extravagant, I see it as more representative of the huge cash outlay others prescribe as what should be bought.

As an example and not picking on the fella is AJ. He is super pro GV-OD. Is it really needed?!?!?! Not in my world. AJ thinks the world of it and a worthy expenditure, as well as many others. All in all, it’s the end users choice. I just do not deem a GV-OD necessary.

No, I don’t think so. While his listed prices are extravagant, I see it as more representative of the huge cash outlay others prescribe as what should be bought.

As an example and not picking on the fella is AJ. He is super pro GV-OD. Is it really needed?!?!?! Not in my world. AJ thinks the world of it and a worthy expenditure, as well as many others. All in all, it’s the end users choice. I just do not deem a GV-OD necessary.
Yes the point of being extravagant with my prices was to prove the point. Having read so many posts and some stating you must spend $1200 for a head and then $2500 for head work and $1200 for a set of special 3.94"-3.97" pistons to get 10.25:1 just for a STREET car is asinine. For a street/Strip racer too.

But for a pure trailer it to the track racecar then YES spend the big bucks to get the best of everything. Put the parts in it for your torque band at what RPM you want, the Horsepower will follow.

Ues you can get a good set of pistons for a 318 for around $600-$800 a set and then spend the $300 to have the crank balanced to them. Puts you close to the $900-$1300 price ranges for the set. I just think in over all costs.

Last edited:
Yes the point of being extravagant with my prices was to prove the point. Having read so many posts and some stating you must spend $1200 for a head and then $2500 for head work and $1200 for a set of special 3.94"-3.97" pistons to get 10.25:1 just for a STREET car is asinine. For a street/Strip racer too!
Please define your level of “Shine” for me.
(Cylinder heads & engine performance expected for a 318.)
I don’t see $1200 piston prices unless it’s something bizarre. But I do get what your saying.

But for a pure trailer it to the track racecar then YES spend the big bucks to get the best of everything. Put the parts in it for your torque band at what RPM you want, the Horsepower will follow.

Ues you can get a good set of pistons for a 318 for around $600-$800 a set and then spend the $300 to have the crank balanced to them. Puts you close to the $900-$1300 price ranges for the set. I just think in over all costs.
Yup

Years ago I checked with Probe and Ross for some Forged 10.25 pistons for a 0.040 over 318 They came back with prices between $1,000 and $1200 a set of 8. Full floating with light pin and keepers.
These were 1/3 the weight of $350 TRW's that were pressed pin.
The street engine got TRW's.

I will most likely never build a LA engine again. Why when you can best one with a Magnum or Big Block.

Or a 4g63 with a BIG turbo.....

Years ago I checked with Probe and Ross for some Forged 10.25 pistons for a 0.040 over 318 They came back with prices between $1,000 and $1200 a set of 8. Full floating with light pin and keepers.
Thats insane pricing.
I will most likely never build a LA engine again. Why when you can best one with a Magnum or Big Block.

Or a 4g63 with a BIG turbo.....
Because you want to… that’s it. And with what ever you build really. But I get where your going.
I don’t know what a 4g63 is.

It's always 'What you want to do"
My pick for an over 4.04 inch bore would not be a 0.130" over 318 to make a 340. But then I would not pick the 340 or the 0.040" over 360. I'd just jump to the Stroker 400 scene.... Dollar for Dollar

And unlike Chevy and Ford, high nickel content that allow the bores to live a long time.
They make 390+ strokers so they cant be to bad !!
We are spoiled because we have the volume of ALL LA blocks ever produced in US , if we lived across the pond we might have a different opinion of the LONELY 318.

-
Back