The ups and downs of getting my car on the road

-

Scamper

Reaction score
I have found that finances dictate a constant changing of the mind and direction anyone else? 5 years ago I bought a 71 Scamp that needed complete restoration.I saved for 3 years for the paint job, spent 6300 only to get a horrible job.I went through last year bummed and not able to look at the car.The wife says we need a second car so I decide to get the car going forward again.I started off thinking of the moon then reality of finances keeps bringing me closer to home. Bottom line now is I am doing a basic rebuild of the 360.It should be running and on the road within a month.It will have low compression for now, whiplash cam is in, no name airgap,thunder series 650 carb, flowtech ceramic headers,x pipe, flowmasters,2200 stall and 727 with shift kit,just picked up a 4:10 sure grip for the 8 3/4 rear, be cool rad. No interior lousy bumpers lol. the braking and suspension are getting a once over and replacing all worn parts, complete seal and gasket kit has been ordered,front and rear windshield is coming out to be resealed, and my shumacher wiper seals are in.This is by no means what I wanted or dreamed of but at least it will be our second car and I can have fun.I stepped out the door last week for an hour and was home with very little and 3k spent and a ton yet to go to achieve even this small goal.

Wife just asked me if this was a rant a whine or a brag lol, I say it was just getting things off of my chest.I figure those in the same hobby would understand, especially the guys who do not have a lot of funds and have changed their minds a ton do to funds.

I understand your disappointment, but try to remember why your doing all this and thats to drive the car. Get the thing where you are driving it again and let the good times start rolling. Having some fun will help you refocus a bit and help you push forward with the project. I recently went through a similar thing and getting back to the basics helped me.

I agree it is just time to get it running and enjoy it rather than the depressing bucket of stress it has become.

Ya let's see some pics. Also, send me a PM for any parts you may be needing. I have an abundance of parts, and I may have some free ones for you, depending on what you need.

There is nothing worse than being disappointed after spending a fistful of cash on something, and it ends up way below your expectations. And yes, walking away is sometimes the best way to re-evaluate your position. Good news is, that is all behind you, you have a new plan of attack, and are focused on it. And after re-reading your first post, tell your wife it definitely has elements of all those things in it. haha.

Grant

Deep breath, get it on the road, enjoy, feel a bit better...

It seems to me that for $6,000 + you should have gotten a repaint if it turned out badly. I spent 1/3 of that and was extremely happy. I know that body work is expensive but that's a lot of $$.

Don't know what to say. You just have to figure out how to work within your means.

I wanted my car because I'm getting old and "wanted a little fun" before I get too old.

My car needs paint, "ain't" gonna get it.

Much of it was bought used, off here, off Craigslist

Here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=136775

The engine/ A727 cost me 350.00 US and junking the van. Don't even have the junker disk brake front end under it yet

Edlebrock performer intake, air cleaner, Edelbrock 600, "race" seats, all bought off Craigslist. The intake cost my 75, the carb about the same.

Cheetah valve body used, as is the yet to be installed BM shifter.

Bought a new Accel breakerless dist. off FABO very reasonable, and use an HEI module.

Made big mistake, bought Hedman headers new. The rest of exhaust, for now, is a mess, but sounds OK.

This car, in effect, is "as if" it would have been owned by lots of guys "back then." They weren't perfect, most were guy's "daily driver" and NObody sat around thinking that they'd ever be worth a lot of money. We fixed 'em, drove 'em, and thought that things were great.

We used to paint the car last, like it was the last thing to do. Back in the 70s--early 80's every block had least one hot rod car in primer, lol

Gray was the most common but a few were a dull red. After the motor was tuned, car running great, brakes, inside all done, then you painted the car. The body work you do first cause it makes such a mess, then prime and a year or two later, ha ha, the paint went on

Just when it was in primer you always keep the car dry since the primer would suck up the water

well you could be like me i've had my 70 dart over 10yrs everytime i get the go ahead to get it painted something comes up and it gets put on the back burner and i spend i dont know how much in spray can primer fixin this or that. heck 4yrs ago i was driving it for the 1st time legally on the road dodge freak couldnt of said it any better. but i also see your dissapointment about your paint job last yr when i worked at a restoration/speed shop the boss offered to have my car epoxy primered and some light body work what he really was saying was im gonna try to find another painter and i dont want to F up any of my junk chevys so i'll let them do your dart and you can get F'd and seeing how were going to work over your dart real good and work is slow i'll work you like a dog and just give you scraps while i deduct what you owe me. example 60hr work week and only get paid 20 to 25 hrs of it for a 1300 epoxy primer job that is rusty after 3 months

Mine should have been on the road along time ago too but we keep going a little further each decision we make. Not too bad when it's my time and raw steel, now I've been spending big dough on the shiny stuff the last two years. I've had alot of emotional ups and downs with side tracks helping my boys with their stuff. When I look back the time in the garage with my dog is probably the only thing that keeps me sane. I'll tell you it sure is great when we're all together for Sunday supper and one of the girl friends says "is cars and football all you guys talk about"....Priceless.

thanks Mike for the offer. as far as pics i have a few on my comp but no luck loading. i am not great with this stuff but i have a friend when its done wants to video it and post.I must admit it felt good to share my crap lol this paint job has been eating at me and the downgrade on the car due to finances really makes the money spent on the paint bother me let alone the wife reminders which really makes a guy feel good although she is very supportive just likes to remind me every now and then how good it could be running instead of sitting there rusting.

i wouldnt feel too bad i have around 9000 into mine and most of that was engine trans rear,and i still need 410s its got 323s,several colors needs body and paint ,interior etc.

No he was a well known under the table painter. He had a couple of jobs go south, I believe it was from water in his lines or some sort of contamination and he quickly shut down shop and moved to another province.Right now if it wasnt for bad luck i would have no luck, just got my durango back from the shop (rebuilt front end) only to be told 2500 for rebuilt trans for towing (slip ring on od found in pieces in bottom of trans pan) So now to downgrade the scamp again.My new philosophy is that the last 20 years have been pretty good so I guess I am just paying my dues and have to wait for my next good run.

-
Back