Their Late Father's Dying Wish Was for Them to Finish His Dodge Dart. Now They Need Help

-
Please don't think poorly of me, but I don't think I like it. Asking for help from people is one thing. If I lived nearby, I would offer to help. I can do just about anything. But getting money from a GoFundMe account seems a bit off.

Cool story. They didn't post a link to their GoFundMe page (not that I would have contributed) so maybe they are just counting on friends and family to help pay for it?

Thanks, a very nice story and car right up until the minute they mentioned how they want others to finish paying for it. I'm sure the father didn't suggest that his family gofundme to finish it. Tugging on the heart strings of people who struggle to finish their own projects. Call Foose.

Yeah I don't get what goes on in these people's heads...unless they never paid any mind to their dad's hobby until he passed, and then they learned the potential value of the car.

I hate that I'm so cynical about it, but then again, people shamelessly soliciting for funding of their hobbies (i.e. Junkyard Jet) has helped get me there.

I know of a few guys that are due hard car guys whose kids have no interest, no clue about cars and for the most part could care less.
When you can just go to dad and say "it's broke" and dad just fixes it and the kids carry on, they're probably just spoiled brats that are now clueless.... Never really had to do anything for themselves.

If it truly is a priority for his kids to finish the Dart, in memory/honour of their Dad, they should make it a priority on their part. Asking others to fund the project indicates it’s not a priority for the kids.

I also can’t help but notice in the story the Dad spent 25 years working on the car yet the kids now want it completed in less than 1 year?

Something doesn’t add up to me. The kids should have some skin in the game and make sacrifices too?

We all have cars we are building or want to complete. We all figure how to save 20 bucks so we can buy the next piece. I help my friends with parts and or assistance at any time. That’s what friends do. (I do consider many here friends even though we have never met) I would never ask a stranger to help me with a “luxury”. That’s what a toy is. Life has priorities and obviously their priorities are and were wrong.

Now, having said that, I would love to own a completed 1972 Canadian 340 Swinger. So if you feel you have extra money looking for a place………

Shop looks fairly well equipped: Older pro style MAC tool box, huge 240v compressor... And I see mopar stuff in background.

Does it look painted already (white) but with front clip off it?

Looks like needs: Dash, interior, conv top, front clip back on, exterior trim. The work done so far looks pretty decent.

Did they say they plan to keep it? Split it 4 ways?

What keeps them from selling it once it's done? That 68 Dart Conv is very sellable right now. I'd think $10K+ if painted. Seems kept very clean and organized.

My aunt called me a couple years ago after my uncle had just passed and looking for advice and what to do with my uncles early 50 Chevy. He had already restored and gave her a mid-50s truck. He was supposed to redo the car and give it to one of his daughters and she was wanting advice on getting it to a restoration shop to have it restored.
I have to let her know that the amount of money she would have put into it she could easily buy one on the internet already done and they're restoring that car was his dream not hers and she shouldn't spend all that money on something that people may or may not even appreciate...
When I'm gone either give it to somebody who appreciates it or sell it for what you can get for it. These were my dreams not yours...

Who seriously tells their kids they have to complete YOUR project after you die??

This fall I spent 3 weeks of my life (which I will never get back) tossing 26 cubic yards of my in-laws crap into a dumpster and setting up an estate sale. My back still hurts. I kept NOTHING for myself and sold the project truck to someone who WANTED to finish it. This story is just wrong on so many levels.

looks 75% done
its bad look askng for help like that and you are adults shamefull

If he was "always willing to help anyone" then perhaps some of those people should be stepping up to help finish the car. I agree 100% that expecting help through GoFundMe is just crass. I would never ask anyone for money to help me with a project car, as stated above, it's a luxury, and as such it's up to me to find ways to get it done. If I die before I complete it, well, do whatever you want with it, sell it or give it away, I'll never know and surely won't care.

Why I have every parts box in the shop marked with what car it's for and it's reasonable value, each car has it's own binder up to date (as of yesterday) with every part that has ever been bought for it and total cost into the car, along with a current hagerty valuation in the front of each cars binder. #1 Son has the web address and my password for FABO and FBBO and all he and his Sister have to do is list everything and carry on. Could only wish my old man had of been so considerate.. LOL

Last edited:
It doesn't look like money is the issue unless they are looking to pay a shop to do it for them.
It looks like the heavy lifting is all done, with some guidance it wouldn't take much to finish it.
I bet all the parts are there and ready to be assembled.
For what is not seen, front end, interior, top and trim, probably less than $5000 in part (I bet are there ready to install).
I think this is more about a clueless family than money.

Alan

I knew John, he was from Geneseo, IL. We kinda met over a girl. He was a mechanic at the local Dodge dealership. He had a '29 Dodge coupe, with a 426 Hemi in it. It would be a rat rod by today's standards. He ended up meeting a girl from California, that was in town living with her grandparents. They got married and the next thing I knew, they were on their way to Escondido, CA. in a '70 Dart 340 Swinger. I never saw him again. Flash forward to a year or so ago, on fabo, he was asking about tires and rims, he actually used his name, so I pm'd him and asked if he was from Geneseo, IL. He remembered me, I talked with him every week or two. He was in pain with his back, his body frame just wasn't in good shape and he was always helping someone. If I remember, he was helping his son move and damaged his back again. They fused another vertebrae, but the pain wasn't allowing him to do much. Then they found the spine infection, probably from the fused vertebrae. I started to realize that the Dart wasn't gonna get done. I wanted to finish it for him, but couldn't just leave Illinois right now, was looking at maybe this spring. That didn't happen, he called me last Sunday, I was in Chicago picking up a part. I said hello John, and his wife answered, I knew something was really wrong. She put John on the phone, he said that he only had a few hours to live, I didn't know what to say. He passed later that day. I don't know much about his kids, or whether they are capable of the rest of the restoration. It's a frame up restoration, it has a 340 in it, auto, 8 3/4" rear end. I have been in touch with his son, but will talk with him after things settle down. I know nothing of the money situation, or their capabilities, maybe they are going to steer it towards a shop to finish, I don't know. Sounds like they would like to have it drivable by spring.
I was planning a trip out Route 66 and meet him after 53 years and maybe help with finishing the car. I am still planning the trip. I'm really going to miss talking with him.

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend and that you didn't get a chance to follow through on your plans. He sounds like he was one of us.

His children on the other hand seem to be giving off a different vibe? His body was barely cold and they were on the news asking for help with the car? When my dad passed away, it was months before I could even go into the garage. Maybe they greive differently. Please keep us updated if you talk to them.

Garage Squad is in the Chicago land area only. Not sure if it was permanently canceled.

-
Back