Thermo-QUAD!

-

6t8 Dart

Reaction score
Was parusing the local "Git-UR-Parts" a couple weeks back when I noticed a VERY clean '73 Dodge D-150 "Grandpa's truck." Fresh arrival, was quite complete :wav: . Somebody took the air cleaner and kick down, but the MINT thermo-quad on the j-headed 360(1972 casting)...the odo reads 76,334 and the drivers side is wiped out. I believe (as well as the other Mopar yard rats who have seen this rig) the mileage to be original, and I yanked it along with the hard line ($21.34 w/tax). Now I have a set of done swirl port 360 heads, a resto 340 cam, a Performer RPM intake (Craigslist $80 find), and a set of aluma coated headers. I have begun to consider pulling the drivetrain, doing a head/cam/timing gear change, installing the intake and cam, and setting this combo in my '69 Valiant V100 2-dr w/ a 3.55 SG 8 3/4. Any thoughts on this combo and especially the carb? Thermo-quads are either loved or loathed, I just think that the risk was worth $21.34...I either get a parts carb for swapping to another Mopar guy or an inexpensive 4bbl for a decent 360...

TQ's are indeed good street carbs, Unfortunately there's no readily available tuning parts (jets and metering rods). Keep your eyes open for a Carter Strip Kit for the TQ. Make sure its for the Tq cause they made them for the avs, afb, and tq. good luck.

Love them..And you should pull the entire engine if it's a 360.

Yea, what moper said. The T-Q @ under $25 is a steal and worth the rebuilding kit and other things you don't have IF it needed a rebuild. There simple and basicly an easy carbto work on. The AFB/AVS are really simple.

As far as parts go, click here for all your needs; http://www.thermoquads.com/

Your gonna like a 360 with the 340 cam. The only thing I see is the T-Q on the RPM's squarebore needs an adapter that will seriouly decrease hood clearance.

Take the whole engine and sell it.

Thanks guys- I'll try to get to it here in the next 10 days...gonna be rough because the transfer gears or differential just went 'Pop' in my little turbo Caravan yesterday (just put a '91-up suspension in it w/Koni struts and was on my way over to the alignment shop, took a left at an intesection and it let go). It'll be around $500 to totally go through, beef up abit (factory parts/later years), so no spare cash to get that powertrain right now and nothing to haul it with. Reality bites hard sometimes! :wack: Oh, any ideas how much a combo like that might make (340 cam, swirl ports, thermo quad, and headers with 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/ an X-style crossover)?

350 - 370 HP, actaul combo dependent.

Thanks- I figured it will probably make a decent, inexpensive street/strip combo in the Valiant. Hopefully I'll get a chance and have enough spare cash to pull the powertrain before anybody else or the yard crushes it! Last question- anybody know what the stock compression in this 360 is? I'd like to have around 9.0 to 9.25 in this engine, so I am wondering how far off the engine is from that

It's year and engine model dependent.
Regular 360's seem to be a 8.5-1 rated engine while the E-58 (HP, 4bbl's) of the late 70's are rated @ 8.0-1.

A cheap compresion increase is ethier a head milling or a Magnum head swap.

I'd rather do a slight cut to the head surface. Around 9.0/9.25 to 1 compression would work nice on the street; the heads are '91 360 swirl ports from a 1-ton van. A magnum swap would entail more cash and complications and this is not to be the final motor for the Valiant, it is the inbetween one! I have a '72 cast 400 (w/ a core numer of 1) and a forged 440 crank resting comfortably in my shed for when the time is right for a proper build up of a REALLY good powertrain :thumbup: .

PHTTT your good man. Your good. The car will rock!

-
Back