ThermoQuad choke issues?

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Does anyone have an automatic choke conversion to manual for the standard issue ThermoQuad? This seems like a great carb if you can get past that hurdle. Was a conversion kit produced, or do most of you just 'wing it' and rig up something that works? If so, pictures would be great!

NO conversion kit was produced. You simply have to look around and try to find the parts. I might have enough parts to do it, but it ain't gonna be cheap.

Years back, I built my own with a AFB choke. Made a bracket to hold the choke and have it bolted to the right front and rear carb studs.

I always thought the heat-stoved TQ choke worked pretty good. Unless youre putting it on a manifold without a choke well.I seem to remember an electric only version.I seem to remember installing an electric only kit on one of those, many years ago.
Dont give up on that TQ. It can be made to run awesome.

We have a member on here, Demon Sizzler, who assures me he can make a TQ outperform either my Holley 650 DP or my Eddie Performer. Tempted to take him up on it. Gotta love those sewer-pipe secondaries.
My current manifold has no choke well provisions, but it's not a spreadbore manifold, either so that's a moot point....

Well, I gotta say;For street-duty, its probably worth it to obtain a TQ specific manifold. Those TQs can be quite the runners. And when the secondaries begin to open, that moan is incredibly intoxicating.And at full song, yummy.

My 88 Ram 3500 had a quadrajet electric choke so no choke heat well. I installed a TQ and it starts right up but needs a few minutes before you can pull out.
I too have been thinking of a hand choke or swapping manifolds.

I did it with the aftermarket Thermoquad parts, but they are really hard to find. I snagged an AFB setup but haven't messed with it yet.

Here is a thread with some pictures.

Looks like I posted more pictures on a thread the OP started about my conversion, too. More info there, maybe?

Thread

Captainkirk, my apologize, you are asking about a manual choke setup and I was posting info on the electric choke setup I have.

I either read too fast or missed it entirely. Sorry about cluttering up your thread.

Dion, that is very very similar to what I did to mine! Great minds think alike I see.
I used a AFB choke and rod.

Fwiw to the electric choke TQ mention, there 800 cfm, the small primary version and they will pop up from time to time on E-Gag or even here @ FABO.

Captainkirk, my apologize, you are asking about a manual choke setup and I was posting info on the electric choke setup I have.

I either read too fast or missed it entirely. Sorry about cluttering up your thread.

No worries, Dion...
Any conversation about the TQ is not cluttering up the conversation, but rather, making it better.
My TQ came with the thermocoil in the EGR well of the stock 340 manifold. I didn't run that manifold then and won't now, but I'm not opposed to giving the old TQ a try on the build that is coming together...provided I can rig the choke manual (successfully) or get a performance manifold set up for the thermocoil.
The electric choke seems like a solid idea, but as Rumble points out, they are rare, rigged backwards and pricey if you find one.
I'm thinking a manual conversion would save a lot of headaches.

I dont know if this will help, but,depending on your combo, and the tune, and your expected useage, a choke may not be required.My S has never had one and Ive never missed it.Starts down to 0*C (+32*F), no problem.Its a Holley though. The TQ with its boosters, and small primaries, I expect, should be even easier to start.
Id sure be willing to try it.If the AG was designed as a spread bore manifold, a TQ would be on mine.

My Holley 650DP on the Torker required choke for starting only in colder weather; not warm-up or running. In fact, it ran like crap with any choke on at all after it started.
The TQ might be different though, as you say.

-
Back