Thermostat Housing Leak

-

73golddusterkid

Gold Duster Kid
Reaction score
I can never seem to be able to keep my thermostat from leaking everywhere. It feels as though I've tried everything, I am almost to my wits end! Please can anybody give some advice as to what i can do to keep this from leaking?

The chrome ones seem to never stop leaking. Check it for any pitts and use a small amount of sealant on both parts with your gasket. Might help you, but if it a chrome one get you an original one and paint it, as I never keep a chrome one from leaking. Just my 2 cents.
Matt

A good 2 cents Matt . I have a chrome one as well and I had a devil of a time trying to get it not to leak. Finally after trying this and that I bought some Permatex 2 Form a gasket sealant and put a nice coat on both sides of the gasket and mounted. I let cure for about 12 hrs before starting my engine and havent had a problem since.

If the mating surface is chrome plated, nothing will stick to it very well. Sand the chrome off on a belt sander. Like decking a head.
Can you imagine the issues one would have if mopar timming covers were chrome plated ? Lots of sanding required there.

Yea mine is chrome. Does anyone know where i can find a stock one? I had one for a while and it didn't leak.

I bought a chrome one that has a groove cut in it and an O-ring installed. Doesn't leak a drop. No need for messy silicone sealer either.

When I read the title for this thread I thought "he`s got one of those Chinese chrome housings". I bought something from Mancini years ago and they gave one to me free. Now I know why. After sanding and sealing and cussing I gave it up and bought a factory replacement. The originals may still be available from a dealer, (that is if you can find a dealer still open). I`ve seen the chrome necks with the O-ring on Ebay and haven`t heard anything bad about those yet.

You can get a stock looking replacement from advance auto parts,they are only 7 dollars on their web site. It is what I have on my 360 because my original piece rotted from the inside out.

I have always sanded the bottom to make sure the mating surface is flat.

a friend said he put some radiator stop leak and it stopped his chrome housing from leaking

You don't need to get rid of your chrome T-stat housing or your chrome valve covers. I have run many of them on different engines and have never had a leak. All you do is take some 80 grit sticky back sand paper, stick it to a table top or anything flat and sand in an X pattern until the chrome is gone from the bottom of the housing, use the gasket and some sealer and you wont have any leaks! Just don't over tighten those bolts because god knows we have all stripped the holes out in our manifolds.

For the chrome valve covers just use some 80 grit and scuff the gasket area real good then gasket and sealer, done!

i've actually done the sand paper deal on my chrome housings before, and it never worked. But i took the cast iron one from my dad's 360 he just bought and it hasn't leaked yet.

I have a sanded chrome one anyone can have for free. It's looks really
nice and shiny sitting on the shelf, only used a short time....

I took mine and chucked it up on a lathe and skimmed .005" off the face. Left a nice rough circular pattern and hasn't leaked for a year. Very thin film of black high temp silicone of course also.

Terry

I'm running a chrome one. Didnt sand it or anything. Just used "Right Stuff" sealent...best stuff ever. Both sides too!

-
Back