thermostat housing leaks

-
I have the exact same problem. Lol just alittle trickle of antifreeze from the water neck. Chrome neck and a edelbrock airgap intake.

had the same problem, put the water neck in the lathe and turned it, you wouldn`t beleive how bad it was!

OK. Enough beer for me. It took me a few minutes to realize it was you, Lee. lol
I was thinking, "Hey, his user name is my license plate". lol.
Yeah, I'm finally wrapping things up on my son's valiant. It still needs a few things (Oil Pan and Transmission gaskets, and more fine tuning), but he can finally drive it to school. I'm going to check out Terry's auto lab. thanks for the info.

:)

Bet you can't wait to start playing with the Barracuda!

This looks just like the top part of the one I bought from Terry's Auto Lab.
Yup. I ordered one last night. Gonna put it on a shelf just in case. now I got to search for a vacuum heat/AC switch for the valiant. I have nicknamed my son's car "the onion". every time I peel a layer off, there's something below that that needs addressing. lol

I had the very same problem with a chrome aftermarket housing. What I did was turn the gasket face smooth and then I put a .005" step in it so it would crush the gasket. It worked perfectly. The red line in the photo is the .005" tall area.
If you have access to a lathe its an easy fix but just as Famous Bob said, you wont believe how off the surface is.

Ted

Attachments

• 040.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 125
I had the very same problem with a chrome aftermarket housing. What I did was turn the gasket face smooth and then I put a .005" step in it so it would crush the gasket. It worked perfectly. The red line in the photo is the .005" tall area.
If you have access to a lathe its an easy fix but just as Famous Bob said, you wont believe how off the surface is.

Ted
I think my brother in law has a lathe in his san jose shop (GMC motorhome transmissions).
I'll take it with me on my next trip. So you first fixed the surface, and made another pass leaving the .005? Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes that's correct. As you can see in the picture the .005" step is near the inside so it crushes the gasket close to the thermostat.
When I assembled it I used regular Permatex gasket sealer. The nasty brown stuff, and I let it sit for a few hours before I added fluid.

Ted

Yes that's correct. As you can see in the picture the .005" step is near the inside so it crushes the gasket close to the thermostat.
When I assembled it I used regular Permatex gasket sealer. The nasty brown stuff, and I let it sit for a few hours before I added fluid.

Ted
cool. thanks for the info. doesn't hurt to have a "working" spare on the shelf.

-
Back