Thermostat or not

-

75BlueDuster

Reaction score
Hey all I have sked this question to a few cars guys and have had many different answers. The question is in a race application should you have a thermostat or be wide open ??

Hey all I have sked this question to a few cars guys and have had many different answers. The question is in a race application should you have a thermostat or be wide open ??
Mike,I run my Dart without a thermostat.Mike and Wayne at Active advised this.I,m running with a stock 318 rad and you know how my 410 runs cool.I also added a liter of BeCool to water.Good Luck.

No way I would run a thermostat on a racecar UNLESS I was running brackets. I like running an electric pump and being able to cool the engine down with it off. How is that going to work if the thermostat closes?

I always run a balanced thermostat but if I couldn't I would not run without at least a restrictor in there. Gages can show cool temps as the coolant is exiting the intake but the it may not be picking up as much heat as it should be if it's moved through the block (pumps) too fast. If your temp gage shows cool (like 160-180) but a temp gun shows hotter (usually 200+) when aimed at the core plugs on the end of the heads, that could be the issue.

Running a slightlty larger then 3/4" restrictor washer with the electric water pump. So far no over headting but haven;t had it running during summer yet to test it out.

Troy

-
Back