Thermostat vs. No Thermostat ?

-
Unless your gauge is inaccurate, you should be able to run 210 all day long. I like to keep mine under 200.

Now to me, if you can't stay under 200 with a 180 stat and you now have a shroud, I'd say you need a better cooling system. I have run 2 of those be cool units, they are hands down the best there is and they are made specifically for our cars.

Personally, I'm a fan of electric fans. Twin electrics pull so much more than that stock fan it isn't funny.

A property functioning Thermostat only regulates minimum temperature.

If your car is running 200+ with a 180 stat, the 180 stat is open.

Always run a thermostat on a street car, it adds greatly to long term engine life.

Also, get rid of that crappy flex fan.

The engines are designed to be efficient at operating temperature, I would run a thermostat, if the car runs hot, I would try to figure out why.

Try running, straight water, with an additive, like Lucas Super Coolant, for lubrication. - That helped Me, in a 408.

I really can't tell by the pic you posted so I'll just mention... A fan looses efficiency when placed too deep into a shroud, over shrouded. The fan should be positioned half in half out. So view it from directly above to see if a shorter spacer might help ( based on how it looks to me in that pic ).
I never understood the function or purpose of those flimsy flexing fans. Good luck with it.

One thing that will help is running more water and less coolant.

also a good read...

Mechanical vs. Electric Fans: Which is Best for Your Vehicle?

Select a Clutch Fan for:

Stock or mildly modified engines
  • Best overall cooling ability
  • Applications up to 6,000 rpm

Select a Flex Fan for:

• Mildly modified engines
  • Good cooling with less drag (than clutch fans) at high rpm
  • Applications up to 8,000 rpm
  • Lightweight design

Electric Fans

Here are a few advantages of electric fans:

• Consistent cooling—they maintain their airflow at all times
  • Reduced water pump wear
  • Versatility—they can be mounted in front of or behind the radiator
  • Multiple sizes and configurations—they can be found in diameters up to 20 inches and are available with single- and dual-fan setups
  • Fitment—some electric fans have thin profiles so they can fit where belt-driven sometimes can’t
  • Control—some electric fans have an adjustable thermostat while others allow you to operate your fan from your driver’s seat

Select an Electric Fan for:

• High-horsepower applications
  • Maximum power and fuel economy–no parasitic power loss
  • Enhanced low-rpm cooling
  • Increased water pump life
  • Additional auxiliary cooling

A thermostat keep an engine from running too cold. If it is overheating it isn't necessarily the thermostat, Get a high flow thermostat and try that, but I would never suggest running without one.
if your car is overheating several things need to be checked.
1) blocked radiator
2) Too Small of a radiator
3) Blocked/ not enough airflow
4) Blocked/clogged block
5) Bad water-pump.
6) Bad Carburetor settings
7) Blocked exhaust

Ok A THANKS TO EVERY ONE ,IM GOING TO FLUSH THR HEATER CORE ADD A 190 stat and a new cap, if all fails its a BE COOL, I'll keep everyone posted!!
Thanks Men,great to know and get Awsome input!
Mitch

Ok ROCCO!
This is what happened SO FAR! I flushed heater core forward and REVERSE. Very little if NONE scum came out, I installed a FAIL SAFE factory OEM recommended for a 7.2 3x2 engine190 Thermostat ,a NEW 16lb DELCO radiator cap (all that was available in a pinch) I ran it to the Gun Club 30+ miles one way in 85 degree air temp 100'above sea level on the way out she stayed at 190-210 on way home 75 degrees highway she stayed at 180 no boil over so far! I will run it to the car show tomorrow night and keep you posted! I think I'll go with the Champion Radiator with twin electric fans? Your opinion? A MAJOR THANK YOU,ALSO WHAT ABOUT A 180 stat as maybe my cap was DEFECTIVE?
THANK YOU ALSO TO EVERY ONE's INPUT!!!
Mitch

Ok ROCCO!
This is what happened SO FAR! I flushed heater core forward and REVERSE. Very little if NONE scum came out, I installed a FAIL SAFE factory OEM recommended for a 7.2 3x2 engine190 Thermostat ,a NEW 16lb DELCO radiator cap (all that was available in a pinch) I ran it to the Gun Club 30+ miles one way in 85 degree air temp 100'above sea level on the way out she stayed at 190-210 on way home 75 degrees highway she stayed at 180 no boil over so far! I will run it to the car show tomorrow night and keep you posted! I think I'll go with the Champion Radiator with twin electric fans? Your opinion? A MAJOR THANK YOU,ALSO WHAT ABOUT A 180 stat as maybe my cap was DEFECTIVE?
THANK YOU ALSO TO EVERY ONE's INPUT!!!
Mitch

Looks to me like it's working now. 190-210 is completely normal. I wouldn't mess with it.

Most people here who tried different things had best luck w/ a thermal clutch w/ AC fan (8 blade, I recall). I would never use a fail-safe T-stat. I understand they permanently lock open if it ever overheats. Not sure why anyone would want that. I saw a recent show where they tested different fans on a dyno. I don't recall which show (Velocity channel?) or the exact results, but recall the flex fan was the worst for horsepower use and the factory clutch-fan about the best. Another case of the factory design being ideal and the after-market stuff more snake oil.

Most people here who tried different things had best luck w/ a thermal clutch w/ AC fan (8 blade, I recall). I would never use a fail-safe T-stat. I understand they permanently lock open if it ever overheats. Not sure why anyone would want that. I saw a recent show where they tested different fans on a dyno. I don't recall which show (Velocity channel?) or the exact results, but recall the flex fan was the worst for horsepower use and the factory clutch-fan about the best. Another case of the factory design being ideal and the after-market stuff more snake oil.

If the Tstat sticks shut it will for sure overheat. If it sticks open it may not warm up but it shouldn't get hot.

So far it has cured the problem with a new 16lb cap, six pack is going back on in a week or so, factory recommends a 195 stat for a 3x2 barrel Holley set up.
BTW Yellow Rose -THANK YOU!!

-
Back