Thermostat

-

stimpy29

Reaction score
Hi, looking for a bit of advice. We're in the last stages before we fire up my new motor in my Cuda and I we need to get a thermostat. Do you think a 180 degree thermostat would be the right choice for a 360 stroked to 408?

Thanks as always for your help.

Boy have you ever stepped in it; I guarantee that everyone who replies to this will have a different opinion, including those who say no thermostat at all.
Prior to the "Lean-burn" 80s and the advent of EFI, most factory applications used a 180 for best driveability and quick warm-up. IMO this is still true for street driven cars. The engine size has no bearing on thermostat application. Just determine the operating temp that you want to run at and size the cooling system to match. An engine with a 180 thermostat should run about 190 degrees. Horsepower = heat. The more power it makes the bigger the system it needs. /6s and Hemis both came with 180 stats, but the radiators were way different.

OK, POP quiz, thermo stat down first then gasket or gasket first then stat?

If the thermastat groove is in the T-stat water neck then it is gasket down first then the T-stat waterneck with the thermastat held in place in the groove with a little sealer.

HEY! Check this out, I was looking at my OE '79 iron 360 intake with the small water neck....the thermostat doesn't fit inside it. Aint that some crap. 2 different sizes? for T-stats?

HEY! Check this out, I was looking at my OE '79 iron 360 intake with the small water neck....the thermostat doesn't fit inside it. Aint that some crap. 2 different sizes? for T-stats?

Yes they did go from the larger Stant #370 to a smaller one. Not sure what year that was.

Ooooo - OK, thanks, I thought it was just me after a long day. I'll be getting one tomorrow, I'll come back with a number.

Hope all works out stimpy.

The smaller thermostat carried by Stant is part number 13008. It is also stamped 54mm on it.

Same problem with the BRAND NEW M1 intake I got.......small neck and it dont fit!!

Hope all works out stimpy.

The smaller thermostat carried by Stant is part number 13008. It is also stamped 54mm on it.
Thanks for the tip on this, we ran into this problem along with finding a suitably sized thermostat housing.

-
Back