These electric cars are getting more exciting

-
This is a bit off topic but back in the early '70's there was a Denver warehouse that caught fire with a ton of palleted magnesium inside. On TV it looked like a miniature sun in the middle of the screen. The Denver fire chief said they couldn't extinguish it, they had to let it burn out. The best they could do was keeping it from igniting something else.

Halon would probably work IF you could cover whatever is on fire and hammer it with Halon. We used it in our basement of some of the equipment. When the siren came on you had X amount of seconds to get out of the basement as all oxygen is removed. I had a Halon system in my Daytona when I wrecked and when I was on my roof I couldn’t get out. My hand was on the system to set it off if fire broke out but that would have been the last resort.

Can't speak for the cars but this Mower is a game changer. It's only a matter of time before the EV's really start to change the automotive market in the US. They are under review and it will continue for the foreseeable future. But the day is coming where they will have the lions share of wheels on the road.

I see myself throwing in the towel for ICE on a daily driver within 10 years. Time will tell how the future really plays out for EV....

JW

20220410_151310.jpg

I have friends with the electric lawnmowers and they say they work pretty good but the battery snowblowers are pretty much useless unless it's an inch of powder

Too bad I would have loved to see it run.

I think if they are going to race electric cars the batteries need to be easily removed and contained.
Have a standard "indy car" eyelet right on top of the battery pack that can be hoisted out remotely (and decouples itself ) if it catches fire and tossed over the wall.

My 24v Gecko brand electric mower was a pos. Too little volts, lead acid batteries. Run time sucked. It may have trimmed a golf green but 3" grass with dandelions everywhere? No chance. Bring out the stinky Craftsman 21" cut 210cc B&S self propelled mower, finicky carb and all. Reminds me...I gotta clean that carb once and for all and replace that old fuel line that is being eaten from the inside out with this crap E-10 acid. Black powder found the the carb bowl every time. LIPO batteries are no joke. Even the 18650 batteries found in laptop batteries (and the entire bottom pan of a Tesla) if shorted will almost vaporize the 18G wire in a laptop battery case. The lead acids seem to heat the wires until they start to smoke, maybe a little slower? Lipo's seem to have a higher discharge rate over time for sure.

Last edited:
That`s one thing I`d be on board with. I could lose my ear plugs and not have to smell my old mower fumes the whole time. It would have to last/cut well, for a hour, and be comparable in price
I went electric 16 years ago. Black and decker, works fine for my small yard. Not too good on wet grass.

It was, at the time, comparable to high end gas mowers.

A lot of advancement has taken place since then.

If I was to do it again I would opt for one with a removable battery. One on the mower, one on the charger. If yard was big enough have 2 or more extra batteries.

I don't think I would ever go back to a gas mower.

I bought mine for the convenience.

Who would want the constant worry if your car or mower etc. is going to burn your shed, garage or house down? Just charging my phone makes me wonder if it`s ever going to go up in smoke.
The tech. has a way to go yet, before I`d be 100% comfortable.

Electric race cars interesting...........not so much to me.

They sound like slot cars going by. Can listen to the radio at the side of the track and not miss a lyric.

-
Back