THEY live among us, nice guy alert !

-

abodylurker

Reaction score
If you have ever had one of "those days" when you get off work and you've just had it with everything, then you know how I felt the other day. I drug my butt home and couldn't find one positive thing to think about the whole way. Well, I get home and my wife says there is a package for me. I knew I hadn't "pulled the trigger" on any Ebay wish list items so I just figured it was some crap I'd gotten by mistake that I'd have to use my time and money to send it back. Remember, no positive thoughts. I noticed it had this handwritten IH emblem on it and being curious, I opened it. Inside was this 1965 Johnny Lightning 1/64 International truck. I had wanted one but knew I had not seen one in this color or bought one. Then I put together the fact that I mentioned wanting one on the thread I put on here coupled with the address on the box (duh) and figured out they had just sent it to me. Cool hunh? I wanted one because it was what my Dad taught me to drive on. It was even the same goldish color(faded)with a 4 speed and black diamond 6 with tru trac rearend. I still remember my Dad saying, "It's not a sports car but a damn $50 truck so you have to drive it like one!". He was commenting on my abilty or lack thereof to shift it. Oh, the memories. That was the summer of my 16th birthday. The only summer in my life that I ever spent with my Dad because my Mom wouldn't normally allow me to see him for more than a weekend. He died the May of the next year from an aneurism. Needless to say ,that summer is one I remember. Unfortunately the actual truck was bought for the same $50 by someone later on as it had thrown a blade off the fan, broke the water pump, cut the battery in 2, exited the fender and came about 4 inches from killing my stepmother in doing so. Dad wouldn't pay the $150 they wanted for the parts to fix it. He gave me a 48 Chevy pickup that summer because the IH used a lot of gas. So there it is folks. A good guy resides among us. There's no way he knew what my day was going to be like or what the little truck meant to me, he just sent it because he wanted to. I doubt he wants his name mentioned so I won't. What I will do is try to be a little more conscious about the opportunities I have to do the little things I can do just to make someones day, because you never know what they can mean to the other person. Thanks my friend.

Attachments

• ih box 001.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 179
  • truck ih 003.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 175
very cool story. That gesture shows alot about the Fabo members.

Great to hear this.
Love the story too, except the part about your dad passing so early in your life.
I can relate though, my dad passed when i was 16 too.
Similar story to yours, except i was learning to drive on a '69 GMC 3/4 ton with a 350 and a 4 speed. He would get on my case for trying to shift too fast, i would get on his case for riding the clutch......lol!

Sitting here having my early morning cup of Joe and it was really nice to hear that story and I can only imagine what that meant to you. Hats off and Kudos to the kind and unselfish soul that sent you the truck, I've always said it's the little things in life that mean the most.

Thank you sir for the words of wisdom and a great story! As someone that's been in an awful funk at the fault of my own doing, it was an inspiring read to remind me of the important things. I hit your thank button as well

-
Back