Thick coat of unbuffed wax to protect in the winter?

-

Schneiderman

Reaction score
I saw this mentioned in a thread a while ago and wanted to hear your thoughts on this. Apparently some people put a thick coat of wax on their car and leave it unbuffed over the winter to protect it. Is this a proven practice? Does anyone here do it? Is there any risk involved in doing this? Is there a certain wax that should be used?

It sounds like a reasonable idea to me, I might try it this winter.

Personally, I just applied a nice coat and hand buffed it off for the winter. I think that would be good enough. My 2 cent's.

In my experience, you leave wax on too long and it doesnt want to come back off at all. Leave it on all winter? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Not only that but wax is inherently soft and gathers grime all winter long. Thick and unpolished turns it into the car equivalent to a fly trap strip. I prefer to coat with nice coat, buff and leave in garage with a car cover over top.

In my experience, you leave wax on too long and it doesnt want to come back off at all. Leave it on all winter? Sounds like a bad idea to me.

x2

i too just put a coat on before winter and buff off. its always been fine, but if it sits with snow on top of it, it wont matter because the wax will wear off as the snow melts. and nothing will stop salt from destroying a paintjob if you drive in it. when ive stored cars outside for the winter, if they were painted , then i would wash and wax, then cover with a decent car cover that cab breathe. on top of thati would tie a tarp over it, and make sure its not parked under any trees in case of heavy snow or ice breaking branches that could leave a dent. car will need a good detailing in the spring.

Had a friend who ran a detail shop and he told me to be sure to carefully clean wax deposits from around mouldings and such carefully as the thick coating will hold moisture against your finsh and mouldings as opposed to protecting the finish like a thin polished up coat does. So I'm thinking he would strongly advise against leaving wax on your car un-buffed.

DO NOT leave a thick coat of wax unbuffed on your car.
Best protection is put a nice polished wax coat on and call it good.
Buy a cover for it if needed.

Been buffing cars porfessionally over 20 years... just tellin ya what I know.

-RPM

RPM,

This will buff out, won't it???

NissanArmada.jpg

Just apply a good coat of wax, dont leave it. You may also look in to a Paint Sealant.

I'm down with a buffed coat of wax and a cover on it inside a garage.

-
Back