Thin steel shims behind brake pad fell out

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
On my Dodge van with the Chrysler single-piston front disc brakes, two of the thin steel shims behind one of the brake pads fell out of position, got all bent up, and were dragging on the inside of the rim. So I removed those dragging shims and re-installed everything, hoping that the shims weren't really necessary, but now I've got some rubbing noise coming from that brake caliper when I apply the brakes. How should I correct this problem? Thank you.

If you are talking about the thin steel between the piston and the pad. I believe they are a form of anti squeek and should not cause any braking issues if not there. Noise maybe!

BUT... Disclaimer... It is not the way the manufacturer intended, so your on your own.

You could try some CRC disc brake quiet gue .You put it on the back side of the pads and it quiets this kind of noise down.It's like silicon sealant that takes up that space between the piston and the pad.I use it all the time on my 76 Dodge Aspen and my 71 Chevy C20 's disc brakes
Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Last edited:
-
Back