Think I found my problem - rod bearing failure

-

whit68

Reaction score
Well I finally got my motor out and stripped and found the source of my grief.
[ame]http://youtu.be/1hx2bJZWKfg[/ame]

It has also trashed my crank, it is already 30 thou under and the score marks from the spun bearing are quite deep.

Oh well if I have to buy a new crank it might as well be a stroker.

Cheers
Anthony

I wonder if it was an oiling problem that led to the failure? Good luck on the rebuild!

Usually an out of round journal causes premature wear, it wears on the ends and slips blocking oil passage and failure. incorrect clearance at torq is the main problem on a turned down crank. has happened to me in a big block, destroyed a fresh forged crank. good luck with the stroker build!

Crank can probably be saved by welding that journal and regrinding, if the rest of the journals are still to spec.

Yeah, that could be a "problem"....

If you fix it, I would be sure to check all of the oil galleys for chips/debirs before fixing.

I would also check that #2 rod real well. It looks like it turned blue around the crank bore from all of the friction/heat when the bearing failed. May want to seriously consider replacing the rod.

Also It looks like you have stock rods in there. I would recommend you change the bolts so they don't get overstretched and cause your NEXT FAILURE.

Here's a link for the replacement ARP bolts for the stock small block connecting rods at Mancini if you need it:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rodbolts.html

OUCH!!!
Boy do those pics bring back old memories. A few friends got together years ago (early '70s) and built the 340 I had in my '69 Swinger. One of them was a diesel mechanic and also knew Chevy smallblocks inside out but was unfamiliar with one of the "hidden" oil plugs in smallblock Mopars so it was missed during the build.
I was driving home from work a couple of weeks later when I spun a rod bearing. Both bearing halves split lengthwise and crossed into each other. Boy did that mess up the crank. Ending up getting the throw welded and turned.

Good luck with your rebuild!

It sure is blue - looks worse in real life than in the pic.

I think I will replace the crank and all the rods, if I'm going to do a rebuild I might as well do it properly.

Regards
Anthony

Yeah, that could be a "problem"....

If you fix it, I would be sure to check all of the oil galleys for chips/debirs before fixing.

I would also check that #2 rod real well. It looks like it turned blue around the crank bore from all of the friction/heat when the bearing failed. May want to seriously consider replacing the rod.

Also It looks like you have stock rods in there. I would recommend you change the bolts so they don't get overstretched and cause your NEXT FAILURE.

Here's a link for the replacement ARP bolts for the stock small block connecting rods at Mancini if you need it:

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/rodbolts.html

-
Back